Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its amazing to me why GL always replaces one version with another. He love using modern tech but always forgets that with modern tech he can release hs new version and classic version and appease everyone :dunno

So almost all critics for the BlueRay OT can be summed up like:

YES to technical improvements like better overall colours and scene corrections, better lightsabers, harder space battles, more stormtroopers, extended battle scenes and even blinky ewok eyes etc. so alltogether improving the visual experiences.

NO to changes to the content, changes to the characters and their development or adding of slapstick, music and/or muppet-like obviously more merchandisefriendly scenes etc. so alltogether leave the story alone.

Couldn't agree more.

Another change to the blu-ray set:

30a4dgm.gif

So almost all critics for the BlueRay OT can be summed up like:

YES to technical improvements like better overall colours and scene corrections, better lightsabers, harder space battles, more stormtroopers, extended battle scenes and even blinky ewok eyes etc. so alltogether improving the visual experiences.

NO to changes to the content, changes to the characters and their development or adding of slapstick, music and/or muppet-like obviously more merchandisefriendly scenes etc. so alltogether leave the story alone.

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah, that would be pretty good. It would still be a good idea to include the originals though, if only for posterity's sake.

I was watching the ANH SE again last night and I honestly think the Greedo shots first doesn't really change anything about Han's character arc like most claimed.

His silly yelps and antics at the Death Star and garbage chute is really just cheesy and whether he shoots first or not, he still comes of as a guy who pretends to be tough rather than an actual tough guy.

Only in ESB I felt that his character is a lot more serious and cool.

ANH and ROTJ he is just the comic relief.

That has always been my impression. I still think it's funny when people say it ruins Ford's character has a hardened criminal. :lol

I still think the change is dumb and affects the character, because Han Solo could also have been seen as care-free and aloof. "Hey, I just shot this Greedo guy. So what... here's a few credits for the mess. See ya." He doesn't give a ____. That is (was) Han Solo as the character was originally written and portrayed. He's essentially the mirror foil to Luke, who is doe-eyed, naive and serious. You simply do lose a lot of that without Han firing first in that scene. It absolutely changes the portrayal of the character and robs him of that dimension.

Also, it affects the arc because by the end of ROTJ Han is a guy who actually does care and is no longer nearly as aloof, care-free, or nihilistic. That Han (ROTJ) would not have shot Greedo "in cold blood".

But now the character is that much less interesting because of this contrived and unnecessary change. You need moments like this. They are what chart character progression.

Lucas is a prole.

stop the hoo haa gentlemen...let's see them first then pass judgement aye?

But we HAVE seen them. I don't need to sit through the entire saga to know that I HATE Vader's new "nooooooooo!"

I must admit, however, that I am interested in seeing other changes that haven't been released to the public, even if it's just more Ewoks blinking.

I have to say, I kind of like the Ewoks blinking, and the pupils or whatever don't seem to be really that visible, from what I've seen so far.

I still think the change is dumb and affects the character, because Han Solo could also have been seen as care-free and aloof. "Hey, I just shot this Greedo guy. So what... here's a few credits for the mess. See ya." He doesn't give a ____. That is (was) Han Solo as the character was originally written and portrayed. He's essentially the mirror foil to Luke, who is doe-eyed, naive and serious. You simply do lose a lot of that without Han firing first in that scene. It absolutely changes the portrayal of the character and robs him of that dimension.

Also, it affects the arc because by the end of ROTJ Han is a guy who actually does care and is no longer nearly as aloof, care-free, or nihilistic.

Lucas is a prole.

Nuh-uh. :lecture

I think its because the change happened that it feels like his character was altered so much. In reality the altered scene is not particularly different; it still looks like he's planning to shoot Greedo and simultaneous or split-second later does not make a lot of difference.

But since most of ups grew up with the scene in which Han gets the drop on Greedo and kills him before he knows whats coming the change makes it feel like the character's arc is being altered and softened.

If originally the scene had been Han shoots second or at the same time I don't think anyone would be bothered and the film would have been fine. But this change sticks out and removes a lot of the "cool" factor that Han first displayed in the Cantina.

But since most of ups grew up with the scene in which Han gets the drop on Greedo and kills him before he knows whats coming the change makes it feel like the character's arc is being altered and softened.

Didn't Lucas and/or Lucasfilm essentially say this was the reason, so that he wasn't a "murderer" anymore?

Ugh, Lucas has gotten so soft. :slap

One annoying byproduct of the SE's is that they become the focal point of almost every conversation about the films. How often do you hear about Han flying out of the sun and saving Luke as one of the most exhilirating moments in film history? Or the absolute perfection of the blocking, editing, and music of the original carbon freezing sequence. Almost never anymore. Its just Greedo, Greedo, Greedo, with a dash of Fett's new voice, Hayden's ghost and Jedi Rocks.

I'm glad I'm putting all that behind me.

Lets say you're right and a million fans are wrong about the character changes, it's still stupid that a bounty hunter missed his target sitting across the small table.
Well Han does too unless someone stole Greedos clothes since he was chilling in Jabbas palace.

While I think the change is dumb, they actually shoot at the same time, and Han does move his head, although it still looks poorly done
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKEX6QJ-zlQ"]'Greedo Shoots First' from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (Blu-Ray Clip) - YouTube[/ame]

Back