Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That reminds me, there's a similar weird movement effect in Episode I--at the beginning where the Jedi are fighting the droids and the Droideka's roll up, they shoot the doors and there's an explosion and then the Jedi run away. In the shot with the explosion it's like the Jedi teleport across the screen, it's really weird looking. You don't really notice it since usually you would be paying attention to the explosion.

Yeah its supposed to be some kind of Jedi "super speed." No Jedi ever uses it again (except maybe Mace once in the CW cartoon) which led to a lot of people complaining back in 1999 that Obi-Wan should have used it to charge down the catwalk when Qui Gon was fighting Maul by himself instead of just running normally.

He does shoot first again...in the original version. There's no reason you have to pretend that the Academy award winning version being held in the vaults of Congress doesn't exist. :lecture

True true.

But i'll also admit that some of the SE changes I actually enjoyed :horror I know I know, just not Han's (and now the NOOO).

probably been discussed till hell and back, but i wanted to gather some of your thoughts on this.

had qui gon not died and been the one to teach anakin, would anakin still have fallen?

Anakin would have still fallen because Palpatine was stronger than the Jedi and had control since before Anakin's birth.

It would be nice if Kersch or Marquand would protest these changes to the Directors Guild of America and have there names taken off the films. The intent of the director is certainly being disregarded. "The Empire Strikes Back" Directed by Alan Smithee.

Oh, that's right... Kerschner and Marquand are both dead... well, that sure makes it easy to butcher their films without protest.

I wonder how Lucas would feel if he thought someone might change Star Wars again after he'd dead.

Last edited:
True true.

But i'll also admit that some of the SE changes I actually enjoyed :horror I know I know, just not Han's (and now the NOOO).

The only inclusion I liked were the Bespin windows during sunset as opposed to just blank, white walls.

That's it though. Everything else sucks.

Yeah its supposed to be some kind of Jedi "super speed." No Jedi ever uses it again (except maybe Mace once in the CW cartoon) which led to a lot of people complaining back in 1999 that Obi-Wan should have used it to charge down the catwalk when Qui Gon was fighting Maul by himself instead of just running normally.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg&feature=related"]What if Obi-Wan had used Force Speed? - YouTube[/ame]

Or it was just a mistake

Like how in Episode 2 in Palpatine's office, there's the big panning shot where Anakin walks in, and there's an extra step on the floor that quickly disappears (that set was not a complete set, it was stitched together)

One annoying byproduct of the SE's is that they become the focal point of almost every conversation about the films. How often do you hear about Han flying out of the sun and saving Luke as one of the most exhilirating moments in film history? Or the absolute perfection of the blocking, editing, and music of the original carbon freezing sequence. Almost never anymore. Its just Greedo, Greedo, Greedo, with a dash of Fett's new voice, Hayden's ghost and Jedi Rocks.

I'm glad I'm putting all that behind me.

See, that right there is exactly why I am still getting this set. Like I said in the other thread, these movies are all about 2 hours long, packed with many great moments. A couple of seconds here and there aren't going to ruin the whole movie for me.

See, that right there is exactly why I am still getting this set. Like I said in the other thread, these movies are all about 2 hours long, packed with many great moments. A couple of seconds here and there aren't going to ruin the whole movie for me.

for me personally, there are changes that DO have great effect to the overall package.

and the ONE change that ruins it all for me is the addition of the now infamous 'NO' in RoTJ.

i understand your logic as it is sound, however when additions or changes that ARE NOT necessary and can impact an entire scene are implemented...it just...ruins so much.

blinking eyes, fine. fixed special effects, cool. but character altering changes, i think that's what upsets everyone the most, and inevitably leads to more 'nit' picking.

i'm almost positive that if george DIDN'T add those stupid rocks that magically disappeared in the next scene, or didn't add those 'No's, and just altered what NEEDED to be altered i.e. special effects, lightsabers, sound, and color...i believe that this uproar wouldn't have happened. no one would complain about blinking eyes.

sadly this is not the case.

Lucas's tinkering is completely unnecessary. The original films (especially A New Hope) have such a distinct feel that any post, creative meddling subtracts from the tone of the film. I think the additions to A New Hope were the most egregious. Lucas seems to want to soften the edges of the earlier works and make them more palatable for kids; and by doing so he takes a bit of the edge off of the overall quality of each work. I absolutely loathed the changes made to the Mos Eisley arrival scene in A New Hope. There's no place for schtick comedy in the film, and yet Lucas manages to add it with the Jawas in Mos Eisley, as they reign in their beast. Totally detracts from the scene.

Lucas's tinkering is completely unnecessary. The original films (especially A New Hope) have such a distinct feel that any post, creative meddling subtracts from the tone of the film. I think the additions to A New Hope were the most egregious. Lucas seems to want to soften the edges of the earlier works and make them more palatable for kids; and by doing so he takes a bit of the edge off of the overall quality of each work. I absolutely loathed the changes made to the Mos Eisley arrival scene in A New Hope. There's no place for schtick comedy in the film, and yet Lucas manages to add it with the Jawas in Mos Eisley, as they reign in their beast. Totally detracts from the scene.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

What about the entire OT films having the incorrect 2004 color timing?

blinking eyes, fine. fixed special effects, cool. but character altering changes, i think that's what upsets everyone the most, and inevitably leads to more 'nit' picking.

I think you're right. If it was just a matter of punching up a few FX to meet today's HD viewing it wouldn't be a big deal, so long as the original versions were also treated with respect. Lucas has done neither.

The Star Trek TOS SE changes that were made for HD a couple years ago were recieved rather well by fans. The changes were confined to FX only, and in some cases were nearly invisible. Adding Romulan symbols to the bottom of Klingon battlecruisers in "The Enterprise Incident" are subtle changes. They made the Gorn blink and I didn't hear too many complaints.

The people doing the remastered Trek had more respect for the source materials and the fans than Lucas.

LOL. I've never heard of the "Force Speed" before. I'm sure there are message boards devoted to nothing but arguing over such issues, but I've often wondered why Jedi's didn't use their force powers to do more impressive things then they actually did. If a newb Jedi can do stuff like move a space ship with the power of his mind, why don't the more well trained guys always use their psychokinetic powers to drop buildings and mountains on their enemies, etc. Throw back entire armies of the damn robots in the prequels at once instead of doing it to one or two at a time, etc. And they can also use their psychopathic powers like Professor X but don't fully take advantage. . .Bah. Light saber seems almost completely pointless considering what they can do in theory.

Thinking about Lucas's changes reminded me of this.

I will get them all and watch them all all over again...yes baby!

I love these movies, I love Star Wars and I love blu-ray QA, so changes here and there will not change any of that.

Waiting for relase date.

Last edited:
Back