Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars Blu-Ray set could be in the works

Yea..well if you are going to screw them up half way..you might as well go all the way and take the complete heart out of the OT by making him digital. Am I the only one or does the digital look more fake then the original puppet?

The problem with computer graphics is this: they are perfect by default. In real life, you can't get objects anywhere near absolutely perfect (in shape and color, etc) especially not with the inherent graininess of real or digital film. With CG you always have to add imperfections for realism (like dirt on a clone trooper, or pock-marks in someone's face), and of course the CG is being rendered on the computer rather than captured through a lense and burned onto a piece of film (or saved to a cassette/memory card). Making real and CG blend perfectly is nearly impossible without heavy amounts of work towards details and imperfections. And no one wants to add slight graininess to their perfect high-def CG Yoda.

Also, lighting for 3D graphics is always simulated, and can never match perfectly with light in the real world. In theory, simulated light should work the same as real light based on mathematical formulas and calculations, but it still isn't real light. Usually simulated lights don't refract through the air as in real life, and it's quite possible that photons are pulled toward the earth by gravity and the computer doesn't replicate that. There are just so many possible variables that the computer probably isn't thinking about.

Things in CG are composed of tiny triangles that are stuck together, they have no substance and are entirely 2 dimensional (if you have a single 3D polygon and you look at it the edge, it will disappear. To make a true 3D model, you need multiple polygons). Polygons have no substance. They aren't composed of atoms or cells interacting with each other, so CG can never look entirely real until we can perfectly replicate something in a computer. That would mean, for example, making each and every individual atom inside each cell of a character's face in 3 dimensions, with bone cells underneath a layer of skin cells, with light refracting through the air and then through individual skin cells themselves. Each pore on the character's face would have to be replicated in 3 dimensions as well. Modern computers just don't have the processing power to do this efficiently.

CG can look pretty damn close to reality, but it will always be what it is: a simulation.

So of course the real puppet will look more real than a digital model, because it is actually there in real life interacting with light the same as the rest of the scene that it's in made out of substantial atoms being moved in real time by a real live person.

The problem with computer graphics is this: they are perfect by default. In real life, you can't get objects anywhere near absolutely perfect (in shape and color, etc) especially not with the inherent graininess of real or digital film. With CG you always have to add imperfections for realism (like dirt on a clone trooper, or pock-marks in someone's face), and of course the CG is being rendered on the computer rather than captured through a lense and burned onto a piece of film (or saved to a cassette/memory card). Making real and CG blend perfectly is nearly impossible without heavy amounts of work towards details and imperfections. And no one wants to add slight graininess to their perfect high-def CG Yoda.

Also, lighting for 3D graphics is always simulated, and can never match perfectly with light in the real world. In theory, simulated light should work the same as real light based on mathematical formulas and calculations, but it still isn't real light. Usually simulated lights don't refract through the air as in real life, and it's quite possible that photons are pulled toward the earth by gravity and the computer doesn't replicate that. There are just so many possible variables that the computer probably isn't thinking about.

Things in CG are composed of tiny triangles that are stuck together, they have no substance and are entirely 2 dimensional (if you have a single 3D polygon and you look at it the edge, it will disappear. To make a true 3D model, you need multiple polygons). Polygons have no substance. They aren't composed of atoms or cells interacting with each other, so CG can never look entirely real until we can perfectly replicate something in a computer. That would mean, for example, making each and every individual atom inside each cell of a character's face in 3 dimensions, with bone cells underneath a layer of skin cells, with light refracting through the air and then through individual skin cells themselves. Each pore on the character's face would have to be replicated in 3 dimensions as well. Modern computers just don't have the processing power to do this efficiently.

CG can look pretty damn close to reality, but it will always be what it is: a simulation.

So of course the real puppet will look more real than a digital model, because it is actually there in real life interacting with light the same as the rest of the scene that it's in made out of substantial atoms being moved in real time by a real live person.

That is all very interesting..but I dont think digitally you can capture him as well as the puppet did..maybe because the puppet was the introduction of him. I personally prefer the old school look of the films...they built massive sets..MASSIVE..and the digital backgrounds look cool, but they look fake also...i can visualize them infront of a green screen...you cant do that with the OT

CG will never rightfully replace the real thing (not in the near future anyway) because of that.

Even Avatar, which people were splooging in their pants over (and still are) looked fake as hell.

Muppets & real sets > CG

That is all very interesting..but I dont think digitally you can capture him as well as the puppet did..maybe because the puppet was the introduction of him. I personally prefer the old school look of the films...they built massive sets..MASSIVE..and the digital backgrounds look cool, but they look fake also...i can visualize them infront of a green screen...you cant do that with the OT

That's what I was saying! Until CGI can replicate things down to the atomic level, real stuff is gonna look a lot more real than CGI.

Essentially, I said real looks more realistic because CGI will always be what it is: a simulation (ie, fake)

re-read my post:

old school with real sets and no CGI is awesome, that's why Batman Begins and the Dark Knight are my favorite movies, because Nolan did 99% of everything in real life.

Unfortunately, real costs a lot more, and as CGI gets cheaper, we're gonna see a lot more of it... :monkey2

Last edited:

I would like to see more BTS footage, like a camera running around Jabba's Palace, to show all the clutter without all the action going on. Seeing those GG bookends make me realize how much "stuff" was in Jabba's Palace that you never really see.

I would like to "see" all that "stuff".

And I still want that Star Wars Chronicles book. I'm kicking myself for not getting the re-release when the Prequel version came out.

Yea..well if you are going to screw them up half way..you might as well go all the way and take the complete heart out of the OT by making him digital. Am I the only one or does the digital look more fake then the original puppet?

Never said anything about replacing him in the OT...that's blasphemy! I actually prefer OT Yoda to digital Yoda. The abomination in TPM though, is a whole other story. They certainly did a much better job matching the OT Yoda with the digital version than they did with the TPM puppet.

I think most of us agree then that they dont mess with the OT anymore if they are releasing them on Blu ray.

I think most of us agree then that they dont mess with the OT anymore if they are releasing them on Blu ray.

Lucas doesn't agree. The only time you can count on SW never being tweaked again is after he passes.

He can tweak all he wants just give me the OG OT in the proper ratio on Blu and I will never make another comment. :banana

He can tweak all he wants just give me the OG OT in the proper ratio on Blu and I will never make another comment. :banana

That's the way I feel as well. Just give us a nice "archive" versions of the original and then tweak away!

That's the way I feel as well. Just give us a nice "archive" versions of the original and then tweak away!

:lecture :lecture

Come on, George! Silence all of us OT purists for good! One good copy of the OOT and we'll ride off into the sunset, never to bemoan or besmirch your PT or SE's again!

Yes, I'm more excited about the "new" old deleted scenes that we've heard about but have never seen:

"a sequence that depicts Luke Skywalker assembling his new, green-bladed lightsaber prior to infiltrating Jabba the Hutt's palace."

Seems he was tweaking his Saber and not building it. Very cool scene.

Back