Star Wars New Trilogy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the #1 Reason You Didn't Like the NT

• Jar Jar Binks

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Darth Maul died too fast

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Poor acting by Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Phantom Menace ruined EP 2 & 3

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Too much CGI

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Poor Boba Fett backstory

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Choppy storyline throughout the New Trilogy

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I didn't like any of the New Trilogy

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I like everything about the New Trilogy

Votes: 21 17.2%

• Total voters
I don't really have an issue with the story line, its the way in which the story is told that is the problem. I thought the editing was bad, the movie is choppy. The dialogue is... er... the only ones who didn't complain are my non-english speaking friends. The saving grace was ROTS, thank goodness.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Funny. People think the PT movies sucked so bad, yet they saw them, several times, and they made tons of money.

If something sucks why watch it, let alone pay to watch it.

Not I. and that Beverly Chihuahua movie made tons of money too so...

My issue is that it went from being an Epic movie (OT) to a tv type show (NT)...

Well, you're absolutely right. It went from being an epic trilogy to a monumental saga and literally to an animated tv series, which is quite enjoyable if you don't over analyze it like most people try to do (and end up looking like buffoons). Can't wait for the live action show. I just hope it doesn't blow as hard as the the Endor crap.

Too much CGI and bad directing, I see the poor acting as a casualty to that to a certain extent.

In my opinion, Episode 3 is just as good, if not better than any of the originals. I rank them, (fav. to least favorite)

Revenge of the Sith
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

To me, Episode 1 was such a disappointment, but didn't matter at the box office, it made what... 400 million or so? It had it's moments, but yeah, the goofiness of Jar Jar, and some of the acting...
The CGI was nuts in the new trilogy at times, The entire ending of episode 2 was like you were watching a scene from the computer animated CLone Wars, but... Ep. 2 was a huge improvement over TPM. A big step in the right direction. Christopher Lee was awesome as he is in any of his roles.
Episode 3 was so exciting, start to finish. It did have some scenes that were acted poorly, yes, but overall, awesome film.

Yeah, I guess those Epic/Date/Spartan ^^^^ films are just masterpieces because they made a huge load of money.

People will go see it because its star wars. They go in a pay, and they come out and hate it. The damage is done. No idiot goes in the theater and sees a movie he doesnt like (and PAYS!) again and again for no reason. (unless you get dragged into the same movie...again and again....^^^^ I hate Ghost Rider.)

Too much CGI, poor execution of the plot, and extremely poor writing and character development.

In the hands of someone other than Lucas, the trilogy could have been awesome.

I don't subscribe to the point of view that if you need to love it or leave it. Despite the fact that I find it highly enjoyable doesn't nullify the reality that it could have been much better if Lucas spread out the work and oversaw it more. He is a great producer, especially at imaging, and has great ideas, but he's not a great writer and not a great director.

I've read through this thread and have to agree with most of the reasons for not enjoying the new trilogy as much as the classic. No central villain (although I do like Palps slow ascension to Emperor its not central enough and kind of relied on the audiences pre-knowledge of this fact), the love story between Ani and Padme is just puke-worthy and yes George seemed to have forgotten how to build a real set instead of just green screen everything.

Also the themes dealt with in the PT are more 'serious'.... politics, insidious murder and the jedi seemed far too rigid (but that could be argued its intentional and part of their downfall)... so big fans of the OT have to contend with that too and might play a part in their lack of enjoyment.

Having said that I felt George had a return to form in RotS... people say its darker, has the rise of Vader and the Emperor so it instantly has more appeal and this is true. But I felt the overall look was less CGI-y or it was just beter done. Also moments like when Ani tells Obi not to make any bad wiring jokes about R2.... "I didn't say anything!"... just made the characters feel more fully fleshed out. And i thought I was just going to write one paragraph...

The fundamental problem with the Prequel trilogy is a poor script and dialogue, I think everyone in the films are very capable actors but some of the lines they were given to say are just cringeworthy. How many times does someone have to say " blast, thats why I hate flying", or "how rude" and almost every attempt at humour is awful.
I wont even talk about Jar Jar binks..........shocking.
There wre too many "yes men" around when the prequel trilogy was made, mainly Rick McCallum the producer so no one questioned anything Gerge did. Compare that to Gary Kurtz on the original trilogy, I think he offered George good quality control without him realising it. Just watch the DVD extras and youll see what I mean.

the OT suffered some pretty crap dialogue too... the actors just did a better job with it.

I voted for other the reason being that I enjoy the PT and watch them almost as much as the OT aside from ROTJ which is my fave and gets almost a weekly viewing :). My problem with the prequels are a lot of small things that add up to make the films inferior to the OT.
First let me start by saying I am a reformed Jar Jar hater I used to dislike him as a character a lot but over time I see him as a neccesary evil, had his character been like the rest of the Gungans they would have had the presence of the ewoks, important but only in the final battle. Add to that when the Phantom Menace came out it really wasn't for the original Star Wars heads it was more to bridge the generational gap so that the OG's and their kids could enjoy the franchise. Ok that being said here are my problems with the prequels.

1. Hayden sucked the big one, he's been whiny in everything else before and after (short Jumper) so I don't know why I expected different.
2. Watto appears to be a cross dresser in AOTC with that stupid hat on.
3. George Lucas should get somebody else to write anything to do with love scenes cause like someone else said they were "pukey" at best.
4. Padme died of a broken heart WTF that is pretty lame.
5. The "Blinged Out" chrome ship looked way out of place not to mention the lack of continuity are we to believe that technology got worse over the years. Compare fighters in the new to the fighters in the old its like they went from Lamboughini to Hoopdy in a few years.
6. The death of General Grievous was cheesy a couple of blaster shots to a wide open weak spot hmmmm.
7. Not enough to the order 66 sequences, that is a huge point in the Star Wars plot and they show short clips of "Jedi's" being done in by clones with ease for the most part.
8. The death of Mace Windu where he just goes flying out the window not a cool way to finish the most bad ass of Jedi Masters.
9. The members of the Jedi Council that most people would have loved to see in action were either MIA, or written out due to it being too much trouble to CG the action sequences. Oppo Rancisis, Yareal Poof, etc.. a lot of the non humans.
10. All in all the new trilogy just doesn't have the character development that the originals do. Or maybe it's a lack of talented actors to bring them to life.

All said and done I still hope they make the final 3 Chapters cause that would be awesome. And for all things pure in the world PLEASE GEORGE LUCAS, HOLLYWOOD, ANYBODY WITH THE POWER TO DO IT, DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO REMAKE THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY

Back