Star Wars New Trilogy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the #1 Reason You Didn't Like the NT

• Jar Jar Binks

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Darth Maul died too fast

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Poor acting by Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Phantom Menace ruined EP 2 & 3

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Too much CGI

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Poor Boba Fett backstory

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Choppy storyline throughout the New Trilogy

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I didn't like any of the New Trilogy

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I like everything about the New Trilogy

Votes: 21 17.2%

• Total voters
Lucas had years to write a concise and strong story. There is no excuse for TPM and AOTC to not be as well thought out as they should have been.

I would have been happy if the first scene of Episode one was the arrival of Yoda and the clones at the arena (AOTC). You would have two and a half movies to lay out all your separatist/republic mombo jumbo and tell a grand epic.

The overuse of CGI was also a killer for me. Lucas should have gone out of his way to make the settings feel as old school as he possibly could to retain the feeling of the originals.

I don't dislike the prequels at all.
Actually, I think the overall plot and characters are more interesting... The OT is revered because people love the nostalgia. IMHO the story arch and the films themselves are not as engaging as the prequels. And yes, I did watch the OT when it first came out in the cinemas.
My only beef with the prequels is Jar Jar (way too goofy), little boy Ani (bad acting) and some dodgy scenes by Natalie Portman (yeah, I think Hayden did a better job acting).
The OT is great and I love it, but it has its share of cheese and bad acting to rival anything in the prequels.

I love the prequels, however, I feel they had far more potential than what was realized.
The biggest problems:
Lucas should have hired a team of writers to put his ideas in order.
Lucas should have hired a director.

I would have liked to have started TPM with establishing Qui Gon as a legendary Jedi. In retrospect, if everything had been written ahead of time so we know all the players.
As was stated, have Dooku on the council.
Start the whole saga with Grievous' planet about to erupt into civil war, and Qui Gon is the one who stops it, inciting Grievous' hatred of Jedi.
Have Grievous shuttle crash after his arrest and is presumed dead.
Have more of a separatist presence so its more than just Nute being a bad guy.
Jar Jar Downplayed.
Maul being more sinister, manipulating Gunray, and maybe killing subordinates ala Vader in ESB.
Qui Gon's death being more than just because he got tired during his fight with Maul. Maybe have him sacrifice himself protecting someone, Padme perhaps, knowing saving her would leave him exposed and vulnerable. Having Maul seize that moment would convey instant outrage from the audience.

AOTC, I think there should have been more Jedi around and show Anakin outperform them to show just how powerful he was. I think Padme's life should have constantly been in danger with many threats that Anakin saves her from in very impressive manner.
The Tusken Raider story is pretty much perfect IMO.
The love story is cringe worthy. I think it would have worked much better if it played like they were on the run. Passion, danger, etc...

ROTS, I think Anakin should have had some collateral damage in his wake and maybe lose his temper and kill a separatist General or lieutenant, or someone living that was in charge of the battle droids.
After killing Mace, Palpatine should have turned on Anakin, holding him up and exerting his darkside influence over him. Start to see Anakin's face start to turn veiny and Sithy, kind of like Father Karras in the end of the Exorcist. At the same time as Anakin hangs suspended, Palpatine is coercing him and goading him much like he did to Luke. Knowing he had the choice to join him and get power, or die and his wife would die next.
Might not get a PG 13 but would have been much better.

I would also like to say that I too still enjoy watching the PT for all its faults.

Screw the PT, screw the "improved" OT.....man I really just dont like SW any more. Its just become something bad IMO. :(

I'm a OT guy all the way and I didn't vote.
Still, I'd like to say that in stead of a PT, I always wished for a follow-up (trilogy) to the OT. And today, it would be perfectly doable: all actors that where involved in the OT have the right age to come across in a believable way when a "it's been 30 years after the rebellion" movie would be made.
As much as I enjoyed some of the EU stories that followed the OT, somehow they made it impossible to enjoy a fresh and surprizing continuance of what started it all. Not to mention that the leading actors would apparently never come back for a sequel to the OT... Some don't even want to talk about SW anymore, regardless what the OT has mend for their career. Partially understandable. But only partially.

I don't really consider the PT to be part of the real Star Wars.

Same here. And i don't mind the PT. But that magic of the OT is gone in the PT, and it's not because my eyes are not that of a kid anymore i don't care what anyone says. Now, i don't know if Lucas could've even recaptured some of that magic had he done better. But i'm more with anzik i think it had more potential to be something better.

I'm just glad i was around when the originals first came out, and got to experience the true SW magic. (i'll never forget that, and i'll always love SW cause of it)

Still, I'd like to say that in stead of a PT, I always wished for a follow-up (trilogy) to the OT. And today, it would be perfectly doable: all actors that where involved in the OT have the right age to come across in a believable way when a "it's been 30 years after the rebellion" movie would be made.

Yeah, that would be so cool. They could even do the same for indiana Jones.

oh, wait.

Me too, me too.

Me as well. I waited since 1983 to find out how Anakin Skywalker, hero of the old republic, fell from grace, and George Lucas was the only person who knew the story.

I'll always be grateful to him for telling it to us. It honestly doesn't matter who likes it and who doesn't. It was George Lucas' story and he told it without compromising it. Woulda-Coulda doesn't factor. THe Star Wars saga tells the story the way it is.

I'll not apologize for liking it.

I think the problem with making a trilogy AFTER the OT is that it would conflict with the ongoing Star Wars comic and novel line. I remember being in high school and reading the Dark Empire comics which occur shortly after RotJ.

Me as well. I waited since 1983 to find out how Anakin Skywalker, hero of the old republic, fell from grace, and George Lucas was the only person who knew the story.

I'll always be grateful to him for telling it to us. It honestly doesn't matter who likes it and who doesn't. It was George Lucas' story and he told it without compromising it. Woulda-Coulda doesn't factor. THe Star Wars saga tells the story the way it is.

I'll not apologize for liking it.

Lucas didnt know crap. I wouldnt be surprised if he made up all that crap on the spot. None of it looks like it was well thought out at all.

Actually, the main plot of the OT is outlined in the Journal Of The Wills in the first few pages of the ANH novel from 1976, so I'm willing to believe Lucas knew the story he was telling. More or less.

Funny. People think the PT movies sucked so bad, yet they saw them, several times, and they made tons of money.

If something sucks why watch it, let alone pay to watch it.

I've only seen each of them once in the theater and never bought them on DVD.

Funny. People think the PT movies sucked so bad, yet they saw them, several times, and they made tons of money.

If something sucks why watch it, let alone pay to watch it.

Good point
I'm not going to lie I liked the PT but there were parts mainly the choppy storyline that I didn't like :banghead

Back