Star Wars New Trilogy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the #1 Reason You Didn't Like the NT

• Jar Jar Binks

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Darth Maul died too fast

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Poor acting by Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Phantom Menace ruined EP 2 & 3

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Too much CGI

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Poor Boba Fett backstory

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Choppy storyline throughout the New Trilogy

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I didn't like any of the New Trilogy

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I like everything about the New Trilogy

Votes: 21 17.2%

• Total voters
I was disappointed to see Maul Die, but I think , for me, it was the CG that killed episode one. My biggest let down was the space battle, the first film had that intimate feel with only 30 rebel ships, and you felt the death of each pilot keenly. They even maintained the feel when they redid the Cg. Ep.1 lacked any connection to the pilots, a few brief shots and, hey it's blowing up? Anikin didn't need to be there at all. The space battle was just to big for the small amount of ships partaking. just my 2 cents.

I would have liked to have him start his descent in Ep II, leaving it at a cliffhanger with him making his choice. The third film could have been full of a lot more of Anakin being evil and killing Jedi... It would have been much more heart wrenching had he been known to be evil but lying to everyone.

That part really bugs me. His actual "turn" was way too fast. One minute he's mad that he killed Mace and 30 seconds later he's Darth. Come on.

That part really bugs me. His actual "turn" was way too fast. One minute he's mad that he killed Mace and 30 seconds later he's Darth. Come on.

That's how I felt too... I mean.. He's upset and crying that he chopped Mace's hand off and allowed him to die at the hands of Palpatine.. But then he is ok with going off and slaying children?? Seriously?

Bottom line is that George was writing it as he was going along. Its clear his idea of character development for all the characters involved was vague at best.

Indeed, it was style over substance - and even the style lacked.

So I guess I will vote an overabundance of CG?

I rather like the prequel trilogy. It may not have the magic the classic trilogy has but overall I think the prequels are pretty good. The main thing that annoys me the is dialoge. I mean c'mon "younlings"? I can forgive Yoda saying it but Obi Wan and Padme? Everytime they say that it is so annoying .

I agree. Maul should have been more than what he was, especially after they hyped him like they did.

The PT had many problems. The graphics were too clean, there was no central villain to hate, the romance wasn't as believable, acting was wooden (with the exception of most of Ewan and Ian's scenes), overuse of CGI, some hokey dialog, and most importantly to me... the way they handled Anakin's fall.

I would have liked to have him start his descent in Ep II, leaving it at a cliffhanger with him making his choice. The third film could have been full of a lot more of Anakin being evil and killing Jedi... It would have been much more heart wrenching had he been known to be evil but lying to everyone.

And during the final fight, I thought that Obi and Anakin should have spoken a bit more... just to add more emotion to the battle.

That's how I felt too... I mean.. He's upset and crying that he chopped Mace's hand off and allowed him to die at the hands of Palpatine.. But then he is ok with going off and slaying children?? Seriously?

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Lots wrong with the films. But I still enjoy them.

There are as many things wrong with the NT as there are with the old. I like both and feel I get my $$ worth.

I went for "Choppy storyline throughout the New Trilogy". I always thought Lucas should have brought clones from TPM already, and not boring us with Jar Jar instead. Besides that there are many other problems with script, plot, acting, choice of actors and characters, special effects etc. I enjoy PT but these 3 movies could have been made MUCH better...

I've always wanted to see a thread like this cause I never understood why people didn't like the Prequel Trilogy :confused:

Cool new idea: People who don't like the first three episodes of the Star Wars Saga should stop watching the films and buying products related to it. While I'm a PT+OT=SW sort of guy, I think we'd all be better off if people who don't like TPM, AOTC, and ROTS should just forget they exist and continue on with ANH, TESB, and ROTJ.

As sad as this sounds, I watched the prequels back to back a few days ago. I haven't watched any in over a year...plot holes, poor dialogue, too much CGI, Jar Jar and unrealistic turn to the Dark Side aside, they were enjoyable films leading nicely into the OT. However my main dislikes:

1) No elaboration on the origins of Anakin
2) Underused Darth Maul shouldve come back at least in EpIII in the General Grievous role - resurrected as a half cyborg test bed for Vaders technology and also Obi Wans nemesis.
3) If Gunguns had to be used, Captain Tarpals would've made a better co-star IMO
4) Dooku should have been introduced sitting on the Jedi Council in EPI
5) Qui Gon had learnt to become a Force ghost...why not fit him in at the end of EpIII
6) Longer desert fight between Maul and Qui Gon
7) Explanation behind what happened to Sifu Dias and the Clones/Tampering of Jedi Archives
8) Less reliance on CGI
9) At least a hint of Anakins dark side in EpI and the transition to the Dark Side as the cliffhanger for EpII...this would give more reality to his full decline in EpIII
10) Better reason for Padme's death other than (yawn) broken heart
11) Better thought out reasons behind continuity plot holes
12) FINALLY...Lucas should never have taken the directing reigns in the first place...Fincher? Spielberg? etc etc...if only...

As sad as this sounds, I watched the prequels back to back a few days ago. I haven't watched any in over a year...plot holes, poor dialogue, too much CGI, Jar Jar and unrealistic turn to the Dark Side aside, they were enjoyable films leading nicely into the OT. However my main dislikes:

1) No elaboration on the origins of Anakin
2) Underused Darth Maul shouldve come back at least in EpIII in the General Grievous role - resurrected as a half cyborg test bed for Vaders technology and also Obi Wans nemesis.
3) If Gunguns had to be used, Captain Tarpals would've made a better co-star IMO
4) Dooku should have been introduced sitting on the Jedi Council in EPI
5) Qui Gon had learnt to become a Force ghost...why not fit him in at the end of EpIII
6) Longer desert fight between Maul and Qui Gon
7) Explanation behind what happened to Sifu Dias and the Clones/Tampering of Jedi Archives
8) Less reliance on CGI
9) At least a hint of Anakins dark side in EpI and the transition to the Dark Side as the cliffhanger for EpII...this would give more reality to his full decline in EpIII
10) Better reason for Padme's death other than (yawn) broken heart
12) FINALLY...Lucas should never have taken the directing reigns in the first place...Fincher? Spielberg? etc etc...if only...

Bolded the ones I completely agree with

"Phantom Menace ruined EP 2 & 3"

Well, it didn't ruin them, but it WAS the weakest link in the PT due to its stilted storyline. I actually thought the others were in the same league as the OT.

Darth Maul died way too quick and by a lame ass jedi move, the battle leading up to his death was great, but im realy anoyed with how they killed him, i also agree with others that it would of been good to see him die later on in the movie and have anakin take his place

I think I agree with that entire list. With this one I think maybe he should have written the movies starting with III then wrote back to I. It might have made it a lot more coherent with the OT if he knew where he was going to. He still could have filmed them I-III but he should have had it much better planed out. Make the PT fit the OT not the other way around like I am sure he is doing for the next release of the OT.

Phantom Menace & EP 2 i felt were a bit weak tbh, especially Phantom Menace, it just doesnt feel right at all. EP 3 however is just stunning to watch, but the romance with Anakin and Padme goes on to much. But that said i still love EP 3 as much as the OT. I also agree with the choppiness, a smoother transition between some parts could have been handled better.

I chose other on this poll as choosing just one of those options was not enough. I was caught up in the excitement of them but now the hype has died I am not as happy with the prequels. Lots of reasons really. The story was not as good. We knew where it was all heading before it even got there. Hayden and Natalie's woodfest acting. Some pretty hammy acting all round really. They look good but it seems Lucas was trying to just cram as many things in as he could with toys in mind. Sorry but they just do not flow as well as the OT.

Back