Star Wars Live Action and Clone Wars TV shows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, no that's not what I'm saying at all - I'm saying it's not DRAMATIC. You can still have drama and have family appeal rather than just kid appeal - look at Wall-E - one of the most touching and dramatic films this year - and the main character doesn't even have a face.

Yes, I agree, but like someone else did a great job of pointing out, Wall-E doesn't have to carry all the baggage and expectation of it's mythos/history behind it.

After an hour 1/2, the storys over. Nice and neat and very self-contained. Very Pixar!

I'm just asking if the "drama" you want to see, isn't something that we've already explored.

I want a 7-9 written and directed by Frank Darbont. Lucas can take a hike, or watch.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...x-Flag_of_the_Chinese_Communist_Party.svg.png

Your saying Lucas is a commie?
Ok yeah DarAbont. :D

Sure "Snips"!:lol

Whatever you say, rock on :rock2

Don't let me spoil it for you:blissysmi

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars (SPOILERS)

I guess none of you saw the little Hannah Montana/Wal-Mart ad before the trailers.

Ashoka Tano, totally AWESOME JEDI PADAWAN, bring it on!!!!!

I think that's some of the easiest, marketing research ever done in a Lucasfilm production. Not a long stretch there!

And that at least was my biggest gripe, the overall story has given way to marketing research, etc.... This certainly did feel not like a film for TV, but TV forced into film.

It was decent.

Very cool Neil! I liked that part and it did remind me of the MF.

...But I guess I'll hold out hope for the live action series that we'll get back to great characters and great dramatic stories. I believe that the hour television drama is our greatest form of narrative expression nowadays, Buffy and Battlestar have proven that, and hopefully Star Wars can live up to that standard and recapture some of it's greatness in that medium.

I agree...hopefully the live-action series will take a different tact and really put the focus on the characters and drama...so when a battle or major action scene occurs, it really has more punch than just being eye-candy (not that there's anything wrong with eye candy :))...

Knowing that this dismal weekend this had would assure it's quick disappearance from the big house in town here, I checked it out again tonight. For what it is, I do really like it. It's kind of reminding me of other Star Wars EU like novels or comics in the sense that it's another interpretation of an adventure in that faraway galaxy...sometimes they work and are interesting, and sometimes they don't.
A good example in the comics was the "Tales" series...a real variety of art and writing went into those volumes...some of it was really intense and well-written with a real "Star Wars" feel and some of it was just...off the wall.
And with the books...the latest series that just wrapped featuring the old cast of characters ("Legacy of the Force") was an overwrought and rambling mess, while Karen Traviss's "Republic Commando" stories have made for an electric and interesting read. All depends on taste, I guess...

I really am liking the distinct look that Fioni and crew have given this...really heavily stylized and different. Will it sustain itself for 100 hours of programs? That, admittedly, is a stretch...but it's just another take (like Gennedy's or Watson's or Traviss's) on a potentially interesting part of the SW story. Like the movies, I'm not lockstep-in-love with every aspect of it (an interesting shuttle trip into oblivion for Jar Jar and Asohka could be really great...), but I'm willing to give this show a chance...and like Dave, and really hoping the live-action show can knock SW out of the park again...

Yes, I agree, but like someone else did a great job of pointing out, Wall-E doesn't have to carry all the baggage and expectation of it's mythos/history behind it.

After an hour 1/2, the storys over. Nice and neat and very self-contained. Very Pixar!

I'm just asking if the "drama" you want to see, isn't something that we've already explored.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...x-Flag_of_the_Chinese_Communist_Party.svg.png

Sure "Snips"!:lol

Whatever you say, rock on :rock2

Don't let me spoil it for you:blissysmi

wut? Are you saying YOU are Lucas?

Yeah, definitely holding out hope that the show will have more drama and development. I mean, if they could turn Battlestar Galactica into a winner... SW should be the greatest thing ever.

I saw it last night, and came out basically saying 'meh, OK' with a side of 'yuck'. :D

I enjoyed some aspects of it. The plot wasn't fantastic, but it was interesting enough. The clones were pretty cool, and I liked seeing the friendships the commanders had struck up with the Jedi. Obi-Wan and Yoda sounded good and I thought Obi-Wan was fairly in character. I liked his fight with Asajj, I liked Dooku (it helped a lot that it was Christopher Lee's voice). Ziro the very gay Hutt made me shake my head in disbelief, but I found him somewhat amusing. He was much less irritating than Jar Jar, certainly.

Ahsoka, though – yikes. I found her unbelievably annoying. 'Skyguy' and 'Snips' and 'Artooie' was just painful to hear. She was also incredibly bratty, and to me it just seemed unrealistic for a Jedi kid. Every time she opened her mouth I found myself cringing and thinking, 'A padawan would not talk to their master like that!' Yes, Anakin did, but I always thought the point was that Anakin was an exception, because he wasn't raised by the Jedi.

I admit, I was geeky enough to read the kiddie Jedi Apprentice series, and although the Jedi kids in it have their bratty moments, they're raised with a lot of discipline and respect for authority. This kid just came in guns blazing and started mouthing off to her brand new master and trying to boss him around. As someone else commented, Anakin was a legend. I just can't see a Jedi kid being so totally disrespectful to him, at least not before they'd been together for a lot of years and developed a friendship. Surely they could have had her be a bit mouthy without making it so over the top?

Honestly, the only way I could justify it to myself was to figure that it was just a plot between Yoda and Obi-Wan to get back at Anakin for being such a pain. "Most obnoxious kid in the Temple we have found for him. Punishment it is for being such a brat himself. Laugh at him often, you will, Obi-Wan." :D

And I know, she's there for the kids. But that's something else I just don't quite understand. When we were kids, we did just fine idolising Luke and Han and Leia, even though they weren't child characters. A character doesn't have to be a kid for kids to relate to them. It just seems like talking down to kids, patting them on the head and saying 'here's a character more on your level'. Sometimes I'm really glad I'm not a kid these days.

No offence at all intended to people who really liked it, of course! Just my opinion. :)

I saw it last night, and came out basically saying 'meh, OK' with a side of 'yuck'. :D

I enjoyed some aspects of it. The plot wasn't fantastic, but it was interesting enough. The clones were pretty cool, and I liked seeing the friendships the commanders had struck up with the Jedi. Obi-Wan and Yoda sounded good and I thought Obi-Wan was fairly in character. I liked his fight with Asajj, I liked Dooku (it helped a lot that it was Christopher Lee's voice). Ziro the very gay Hutt made me shake my head in disbelief, but I found him somewhat amusing. He was much less irritating than Jar Jar, certainly.

Ahsoka, though – yikes. I found her unbelievably annoying. 'Skyguy' and 'Snips' and 'Artooie' was just painful to hear. She was also incredibly bratty, and to me it just seemed unrealistic for a Jedi kid. Every time she opened her mouth I found myself cringing and thinking, 'A padawan would not talk to their master like that!' Yes, Anakin did, but I always thought the point was that Anakin was an exception, because he wasn't raised by the Jedi.

I admit, I was geeky enough to read the kiddie Jedi Apprentice series, and although the Jedi kids in it have their bratty moments, they're raised with a lot of discipline and respect for authority. This kid just came in guns blazing and started mouthing off to her brand new master and trying to boss him around. As someone else commented, Anakin was a legend. I just can't see a Jedi kid being so totally disrespectful to him, at least not before they'd been together for a lot of years and developed a friendship. Surely they could have had her be a bit mouthy without making it so over the top?

Honestly, the only way I could justify it to myself was to figure that it was just a plot between Yoda and Obi-Wan to get back at Anakin for being such a pain. "Most obnoxious kid in the Temple we have found for him. Punishment it is for being such a brat himself. Laugh at him often, you will, Obi-Wan." :D

And I know, she's there for the kids. But that's something else I just don't quite understand. When we were kids, we did just fine idolising Luke and Han and Leia, even though they weren't child characters. A character doesn't have to be a kid for kids to relate to them. It just seems like talking down to kids, patting them on the head and saying 'here's a character more on your level'. Sometimes I'm really glad I'm not a kid these days.

No offence at all intended to people who really liked it, of course! Just my opinion. :)

And you make your point very well! Especially, with your Yoda:lol , which is very accurate according to Dave Filoni. My only defense of is that when Lucas wrote those adventures of Luke, Leia, and Han-children were probably no where near on his mind. Lucas has been very autobiographical with his movies and becoming a parent changes you. Perhaps Ashoka is reflective of him raising a house full of girls.:lol

It just makes me sad though, that people think that after you've reached a certain point or age in life, you have nothing left to offer and thier aren't any more stories left to tell.:(

Thats hilarious :lol I still didn't find her that annoying, but she certainly could have been toned down a bit and it would have made the movie feel less clunky.

I'll leave it short and sweet and just say I liked this movie. A lot.

I thought the replacement of the scrawl with the news reel commentary was brilliant.

I thought the film was very enjoyable. I thought Jabba's uncle as a flamboyant southern aristocrat (like Porky) was brave and funny.

All around good work!

I think its unfortunate so many didn't like it. I think there are a lot of people that need to let go of the "Star Wars needs to be like XYZ".

The movie should either be good or bad on its own merits, not whether it met certain SW defined characteristics that you put to it, such as the music or the opening.

If you're experience was ruined when you didn't hear the fanfare thats pretty lame. Just watch the OT for the 3,204 time, my friends.

I really tried to stay away from reviews and spoilers... I prefer to see things w/o having a strong opion going in. And that helped with this one, although still didn't like it as much as other films this summer, but still very fun and enjoyable.

I really tried to stay away from reviews and spoilers... I prefer to see things w/o having a strong opion going in. And that helped with this one, although still didn't like it as much as other films this summer, but still very fun and enjoyable.

I'm with ya and agree on the last part as well. I stayed away from most spoilers other than what you knew based on the other series. It wasn't the best movie I saw this summer but it was still fun and a good time.

2008-08-18-ziro-the-gay-hutt.jpg

:lol :lol :lol Although I thought the trade guild got in trouble for being a Jewish stereotype... not Asian?

:lol :lol :lol Although I thought the trade guild got in trouble for being a Jewish stereotype... not Asian?

And Jar Jar got in trouble for being gay, too. It's idiotic. People who want to be offended will find things to be offended by.

LOL. Nice, but stupid. IMO making a character flamboyant and maybe even gay doesn't make it offensive.

If George made Ziro and every other Hutt gay and say, dying of Aids, then yeah thats stereotypical and offensive.

But making a character sound a certain way isn't homophobic, or whatever. If that was the case then real life people who actually talk that way should be called out for it too, no?

And Tarkin is the stereotypical German concentration camp overseer blindly following orders to destroy entire races of people.

I forgot, Lando is the stereotypical black guy chasing the white girl.

Last edited:
Back