Star Wars coming to Blu Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just wondering when Star Wars was going to be released on Blu-ray. Good to hear it's scheduled for a BD release with extras. :joy

Including both versions should be standard (I know WTF about LOTR?! :monkey4), and this time in the correct aspect ratio.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional changes to the movies, as well.

If they replace Hayden Christensen's head back to Sebastian Shaw's at the end of ROTJ I'll be happy. Sadly that will never happen :monkey2 I can forgive them changing Boba's voice to Jango's and putting McDiarmid head in ESB but putting Christiensen's head over Shaw's is unforgivable.

I am half interested and half who cares. LOL! I'm so sick of waiting that when it happens it will probably be something dumb. I just want the originals the way they were. I know that won't happen. So I really don't care.

Oh I'm excited but it better be both versions. Original (with clean print and anamorphic widescreen), and even the new versions to fit in better with Prequels. Im one of those that doesnt mind Hayden's appearance at the end of Jedi(dont hate me!) I just hated the execution of it. Looked horrible! That said though I know Ill pick up any version LF puts out. I already own all available versions on laserdisc, VHS, videodisc and DVD. Such a sucker...

Just thought I'd pass this along, in case there is not another post on it.

Yep, all 6 movies in the works, with tons of extras, for a tentative release probably around October 2011.
But at least it's coming. 1080P ya'll. :maul

During a panel at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm's Director of Content Management and Head of Fan Relations, stated that the company has been working on a Star Wars Blu-ray set. "We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material", said Sansweet. :chew

Sansweet didn't give a date, but he said " it won't be in the too distant future."

The Digital Bits, quoting industry sources, says that Lucasfilm "tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011." Obviously, with the Alien Anthology coming later this year, a 2010 release of Star Wars can be safely ruled out, and considering that A New Hope opened theatrically in May 1977, late 2011 would be a natural choice for a 35th Anniversary Edition Anthology.
:emperor

Then it will be re-released in 3D :) Yipeee..

Oh I'm excited but it better be both versions. Original (with clean print and anamorphic widescreen), and even the new versions to fit in better with Prequels. Im one of those that doesnt mind Hayden's appearance at the end of Jedi(dont hate me!) I just hated the execution of it. Looked horrible! That said though I know Ill pick up any version LF puts out. I already own all available versions on laserdisc, VHS, videodisc and DVD. Such a sucker...

I doubt he'll throw in the original's at all in the Blu-ray.. If he does it will identical to what has already been released on DVD (non-anamorphic) THe laser disc collection will be the best digital transfer of the movie in sound and original quality we'll ever get.. Han Shoot's Greedo...period.. He did not shoot first since Greedo never got a shot off to begin with.. I have a love hate relationship with George Lucas.. I love that he created the original trilogy.. I hate him for not leaving the brilliance alone.

You know it'll be the Special Editions. I have a feeling that the Original Cuts won't be released for a long time...At least we'll get some sort of SW on Blu.

You know it'll be the Special Editions. I have a feeling that the Original Cuts won't be released for a long time...At least we'll get some sort of SW on Blu.

Yes, he could and probably will milk the original version cow towards the end of the life of Blu-ray. THen we'll be asking him to re-release them in the newest, latest and greatest format and so forth until the end-times..And I will be a sucker and buy it every time.. :duh

The real question is, will you be able to buy the trilogies separately??

I bet they'll put out three different versions. PT BD, OT BD, Ultimate Set with bot trilogies and all the cool bonus stuff. So you'll have to buy the PT on BD if you want the cool bonus stuff.

I will be happy with all 6 movies finally packaged together in one set.
And I will be fine if they are the special editions. As someone said earlier, might as well forget those original versions. They are dead. It's Lucas' movies, it's his canvas, he did what he wanted and he's happy with it.
Just accept it lol I'm not going to cry because my childhood is ruined. I'm 35 now. Star Wars is not exactly my #1 priority in life now.
I'm just looking forward to some nice 1080P transfers, and big sound.

And I'm wondering if he will even go through with the 3D movies. Now that we are seeing a bit of backlash with movies that convert to 3D after the fact, and how crappy they can turn out (ie Clash of the Titans), maybe he will be more hesitant about it. Unless he actually takes the ample amount of time necessary to do a good job with it and not 3 months like Clash of the Titans.
We all know Avatar set the bar for a live action 3D movie. Anything less than that, is going to look like crap.

I am half interested and half who cares. LOL! I'm so sick of waiting that when it happens it will probably be something dumb. I just want the originals the way they were. I know that won't happen. So I really don't care.

This is basically what I want. The original trilogy as it was shown the first time around. Now, if they have additional footage without them screwing with it, I wouldn't mind that too. They don't need to enhance it or whatever.

Good to know its coming; not like there is much doubt it would. But still a slim hope they will release a nice clean 1080p version of the original trilogy along with the SE.

I honestly don't enjoy watching the SE; too many things just drive me nuts about it.

I've pay good money for nice 1080p "archive" versions of the OT. :lecture

And I'm sure they'll make us pay good money if one is ever released :lol

Don't get why we can get 5 versions of Blade Runner in one Blu-Ray set... yet its so hard to get original copies of the OT :huh

Happy to hear see there's a tentative date for something we all knew was coming. It'll be nice to finally have the OT on Blu, but I have no interest whatsoever in buying the PT.

wow, this is great to here! im hopeing also that the rumours for the indiana jones trilogy blurays to come out at the end of this year are also happeneing.

i dont care if its the SE version of the films, i just want SW on bluray finally!

Don't get why we can get 5 versions of Blade Runner in one Blu-Ray set... yet its so hard to get original copies of the OT :huh

Blame 20th Century Fox for basically giving Lucas complete control over the franchise all those years ago.

Back