SS SW Figure price increase Upset or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you upset by the recent SW figure price increase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm no Medikid (not even close) but even I can admit that the RAH body is capable of much more realistic and natural-looking poses than the Buck, which is more like a 1:6 mannequin than a 1:6 person.

imo, that photo is not a valid comparison.

Reasons are the following:

1. The Spiderman figure has different type of shoes. It is more bent on the tip. He has the advantage of looking "cool"

2. The Spiderman figure has a different type of fingers. Maul has knuckles.

3. The Maul has baggy clothing.

I am not stating that the buck is superior or vice versa, but I just don't think it is a valid comparison. Perhaps, have the SS Maul vs. Medicom Vader or Stormtroopers. I don't even think any of Hot Toys figure can have a pose like that of Medi Spidey and a lot of people here thinks Hot Toys is way cooler, I guess in facial sculpt and accessories department.

I took a naked buck to try to re-create that Spidey pose and decided that even with similar cloths, it couldn't do it. I think it would have been close enough to negate any argument except that the Medi's buck's knees could quite get the tight bend that the Medi's did and the shoulder on the higher arm kept popping forward.

The mannequin may just be the one area that the Medicom actually beats the Sideshow.

imo, that photo is not a valid comparison.

Reasons are the following:

1. The Spiderman figure has different type of shoes. It is more bent on the tip. He has the advantage of looking "cool"

2. The Spiderman figure has a different type of fingers. Maul has knuckles.

3. The Maul has baggy clothing.

I am not stating that the buck is superior or vice versa, but I just don't think it is a valid comparison. Perhaps, have the SS Maul vs. Medicom Vader or Stormtroopers. I don't even think any of Hot Toys figure can have a pose like that of Medi Spidey and a lot of people here thinks Hot Toys is way cooler, I guess in facial sculpt and accessories department.

If you want a fairer comparison you won't have long to wait as the Medicom Darth Maul is out soon.

There really can be no doubt that the Medicom Maul will have more articulation and be more natural-looking than SSC's simply because of the base bodies.

Now we just need an after photo that shows how Medi-Spidey's arm broke 5 minutes after this photo was taken. :rotfl
DSC00427.jpg

:monkey2
but now he's
DSC00447.jpg
:D
What I'm saying is this, the medi body is the best body out there, as long as it doesn't break.

The Sideshow Maul is also not a good comparison since the articulation in the wrists are pretty much non-existant.

But yeah, the Buck SUCKS.

The mannequin may just be the one area that the Medicom actually beats the Sideshow.

They also beat out Sideshow by having armored SW figures (Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Stormtroopers,etc.) before Sideshow has even bothered to touch them.

If Sideshow does invest in a new body style or starts using the Hot Toys TrueType style you're going to be looking at another excuse for Sideshow to do another price hike for all you SW fans. I mean, what reason do they now have? Labor costs getting higher? The US Dollar going down in conversion? Who knows?

Point is they could raise these figures to $100....maybe $150 and I can guarantee you they'd STILL sell out. It's $tar Wars. If every SW fan on the Freaks board here stopped buying SW stuff, well it wouldn't matter because theres thousands, maybe even millions of other SW fans that certainly will.

For what you get in terms of design, outfit, body style, accessories, etc. I'd have to say that MOST Sideshow figures are worth $30, $40 AT THE MOST. But a lot of additional fees are tacked on because of the packaging design, the package itself, etc. Which actually makes me wonder, how many of you SW fans would happily take a $5-$10 cut in the price of the figure if it meant you would get basic...and I mean very BASIC and cheap packaging with the figure? Kind of like Sideshow had with some of their early stuff.

But then again...most figures that have a production cost of ohh...say $5 can be marked up to market value of $30. I would really be curious to see the production costs of Sideshow's, Hot Toys', and Medicom's figures compared to what then becomes the market price. And I'm not talking about all the design, artists, sculptor charges and everything that can sometimes be included.

And I'm not saying all this because I think Hot Toys is the perfect, do-no-wrong toy company (like some of you think of Sideshow :rotfl ) but I think early on with a lot of these companies you were getting pretty much exactly what the figures were worth. When the ALIENS Colonial Marines were all $85-$99 a long time ago that I think was a STEAL. But I can look at my collection and point out a lot of figures that I think could've been maybe $30 cheaper or $50 cheaper...in fact I think the last HT figure that I have that I believe was worth its $125 price-tag was the Superman/Clark Kent 2-in-1.

Sideshow is going to raise their prices because who knows why? But lets just say that they're doing it solely because they want more profit...they're doing it because they know you all will buy. And they probably look at companies like Hot Toys and Medicom who sell out on some of their figures around $100-$150 and they want a piece of that action! And lets just say they DO get a new figure body...and they finally DO armored characters..you're looking at a jump right there close to $100 if that at all.

But the way it's going, these figure prices have jumped $20 since the line started and by the end of 2008...I would not be surprised at all if they jumped again.

I mean if you have the money to afford the $300 PFs and you have the money to afford the $150 Hot Toys figures and you have the money to afford the $900 life-size bust....$70-$90 should be chump change for a Star Wars figure, right?

I sense much anger in your post Bardoon.:emperor
Don't give in to hate, That leads to the dark side.
Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to misjudgement,
Misjudgement leads to drinking, and drinking leads to Ebay..... :D

I sense much anger in your post Bardoon.:emperor

:lol None at all! :monkey3

I don't even care for nor do I collect the Star Wars line. I think the only characters I'm interested in (Dark Empire Luke like in your avatar, Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma, Dash Rendar and other Expanded Universe characters) will never be made.

I've debated some of this with my brother (who had collected the SW figures, sold them and has started "re-collecting" them) and I just kind of shake my head at Sideshow for raising the price on a product that has REMAINED THE SAME since the line started. Same body style, same cloth outfits, etc. At least with Hot Toys I've seen an evolution in their design across the board (body styles, clothing/armor, accessories, licensed lines, etc.) that can actually justify price changes. Medicom has always had things around $100-$150 since I started collecting and I do agree that they certainly are perhaps the most overpriced of the "Big 3".

Granted I'll give Sideshow the benefit of the doubt that there might be something going on BEHIND THE SCENES that is certainly a plausible reason for the price hike.

I don't want the hike to affect the lines I do collect, like Aliens, Predator and Marvel! Keep the price hike to yourselves, Star Wars fans! :lol

Ah, I feel your pain on the EU figures. and I do see your point. Personaly, I'm hoping these raised prices are going into R&D for new bodies. i know they're comming, i just wish it was sooner rather than later :rolleyes:

Point is they could raise these figures to $100....maybe $150 and I can guarantee you they'd STILL sell out. It's $tar Wars. If every SW fan on the Freaks board here stopped buying SW stuff, well it wouldn't matter because theres thousands, maybe even millions of other SW fans that certainly will.

Everything is "sold out" after it is no longer manufactured. While the exclusives from SS might have taken all 1977 pre-orders for the exclusive Luke, the real numbers are in the size of the regular edition. There used to be 9-10,000 units of any given figure (exclusive included) and now they're struggling to move 6000, or in the case of lesser characters even 3000.
So yes, when people do stop collecting this line, it does make a major difference, and no, there's not a lot of people filling in the open slots.

Everything is "sold out" after it is no longer manufactured. While the exclusives from SS might have taken all 1977 pre-orders for the exclusive Luke, the real numbers are in the size of the regular edition. There used to be 9-10,000 units of any given figure (exclusive included) and now they're struggling to move 6000, or in the case of lesser characters even 3000.
So yes, when people do stop collecting this line, it does make a major difference, and no, there's not a lot of people filling in the open slots.

Thats one of looking at it. I see it as Sideshow finding its feet in the market and adjusting accordingly.

Hey SS, I'll give ya an extra $50 if you get me my ANH Luke by March 11. Huh? How's that for a price increase? :lol :monkey3

But yeah, the Buck SUCKS.

Why? I mean I have no issues getting any of the poses I want. I think it sucks if you're looking for extreme poses, but for me personally I've been able to achieve the poses I want for my guys.

They also beat out Sideshow by having armored SW figures (Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Stormtroopers,etc.) before Sideshow has even bothered to touch them.

How can SS have already lost when they haven't made one? Don't they at least have to make a few and fail first? :confused:

Back