SS SW Figure price increase Upset or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you upset by the recent SW figure price increase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah. but still. reproducing an identical body in a larger format is cake, once they have the design. just enlarge the bluprints and viola. Bigger guy.

Lerath, I'll do you one better, here's a photo of the bare small-sized Sideshow-HT body, with heavy HT influence evident.

IMG_9730.jpg

In face I see nothing on it resembling the Buck. Even the wrist joints are the balls like the HT Figures have, or some variation of the design, but not the Buck style.

The fore arms don't look too long either.I hope it will be the same on the 12"

Ah. but still. reproducing an identical body in a larger format is cake, once they have the design. just enlarge the bluprints and viola. Bigger guy.

Not so viola I hope. The Buck has about 3 sizes in adult males, short, averge, and tall/large. One thing I like about the Buck over the other bodies is that range, so I'm hoping they continue it into the new body, so it's 3 bodies, still seemingly simple in task, but with all the commentary they've hear on other bodies and against their's, I think they may be trying to make it really something, plus trying to keep cost down hopefully, and as busy as HT is, if they're integral, it could be slower due to their unavailability. Regardless, I'm sure it'll happen, and may already be done, but like I said, if they have a backlog of head sculpts to the Buck, they have to use those up first and won't want to tell us they have a new body until they're ready to use it. The Hobbits wouldn't have happened without a new body, so those heads were designed for it from the get go.

makes perfect sense really. i just hope that the hot toys neck adapters fit their new bodies. once they releace them, I plan to get several of them and start swapping my older figures to them. using hot glue to adapt the old-style nect to the new style body. ( fill head cavity with hot glue, insert hot toys neck adapter, let dry)

Looks good, although the lower legs do look a bit long like they should be on an adult body.

I honestly hope for the 12" figures they keep the older neck design. I know its not the greatest range... but the heads almost always look weird with the seam below the ear. That's on issue I've always had with Medicom and some Hot Toys figures. And of course Sideshow has to keep the excellent looking hands sculpts.

I honestly hope for the 12" figures they keep the older neck design. I know its not the greatest range... but the heads almost always look weird with the seam below the ear. That's on issue I've always had with Medicom and some Hot Toys figures. And of course Sideshow has to keep the excellent looking hands sculpts.

I'm with you on those points. However, looking at the hobbit hands, they still show SSC quality.

As for the neck joint, I agree it's often unsightly. However, from what I've seen, HT and Medi cut the head off on a horizontal plane, but SSC's female heads and you can see hear, Sam's head, take a diagonal cut. While form a profile you really can't ever hide it, I think from frontal and 3/4 views, SSC heads wouldn't show the neck joint much or at all.

ssc_ht.jpg

ok here it is fellas.
Sideshow is not dumb.
Sideshow knows who the majority of their client base is.
And it would be to Sideshow's benefit if they kept that majority at home with mommy under her wing. For if the doll-boy were to leave home and actually move out on his own, and have actual bills to pay, then doll-boy would have less money to spend on their super-duper-awesome Star Wars doll line. ... and just like that SS loses a good paying customer to the real world.

.. its just business fellas.... now go ask mom if she can up your allowance again so you can keep shelling out your mom's hard earned money on these awesome Star Wars dolls.... :monkey1

...... :duff

I voted that I hate the price change but I understand it. Their products still sell out. The demand is there so any company should increase prices to profit from the demand.

The trap Sideshow will soon get into is that some collectors buy from them because they are the cheapest and have reasonable value compared to Marmitt or Medicom but when Sideshow release an armored figure and charges $100 for it ... they will loose those collectors looking for value and they will not gain those collectors who pay for the Medicom quality.

I am sure this has been said but I find it amazing ANH Luke is 25 more dollaree doos than Jedi Luke. The only reason I can think they keep going up is the 2 pronged licensing fee? I mean if things are selling well should that help stabilize prices? I am in but I am scared as to what the troopers are going to sell for.

I dont mind as much the price increase on the figures although I'm noticing freight cost is going up with each new release as well. Being from Australia, Im now paying more than double cuz of Fedex eg, Ex Leia is in transit atm, bought for $54.99 ..yet freight was $75.85!!! I just cancelled on Palpy 2 pack and now thinking after Han and ANH Luke come in, Im done with ordering direct from SS :(

ok here it is fellas.
Sideshow is not dumb.
Sideshow knows who the majority of their client base is....
.... now go ask mom if she can up your allowance again so you can keep shelling out your mom's hard earned money on these awesome Star Wars dolls.... :monkey1:duff

Ouch! Bitter...party of one, please.
It's obvious that the price jump has wrinkled a few skirts, but let's keep it civil folks...jeez.
And for the record, I'm really far from home and pay my own very expensive bills...

I'm glad I ordered Luke. Do I like the price increase? No, but I don't like it when I fill up my truck, pay my heating bill or hit the grocers either.

Sideshow didn't invent the price increase. And it would be nice to remember that they are not Hasbro. Even at 10,000 or whatever these regular editions have climbed to, they are not cranking out the quantity of product that allows them to stay as cheap as a Hasbro or Mattel.

This company is still second to none in my book for customer service and artist interaction with their audience. I know that while every figure or art piece that comes down the pike may not be perfectly executed in my eyes, I appreciate the effort and the obvious care and interest that goes into it.
It's a delicate dance a small company has to do when dealing with a franchise that is as tightly controlled as Star Wars, and I think Sideshow does it well.

I think many of the arguements posed here are valid, like the issues some have with the buck body and such (my only issue is how tightly tailored outfits look on them but it's not that big a deal).
To me, buying from this company poses the same question as when I need some hardware for a project...do I go to Home Depot and get a cheap blister pack of parts (usually more than I need or with parts I'll never use) made overseas and check myself out at the register or do I go to the local hardware store, have some interaction with some friendly helpful folk who can answer questions and then buy just the part I need and not a whole set of something. May be more expensive that way, but the experience is much better.

No one is forcing anyone here to buy the figures from Sideshow...as many have pointed out here, there are other options for getting these a lot cheaper down the line. I just choose to show my support for what this company is doing by buying what I can afford directly from them....my choice.

Just my ramblin' two cents there...

Actually $49.99 and ANH Luke is $69.99 so he's only $20 more.
As to the why, that depends on who you ask. Certainly expenses have gone up, Lucas certainly never reduces the cost of a license and SSC has an opportunity to make a huge profit, so I'm sure that factors in as well. We may all like our jobs but if someone offers you more money for the same work, how many of us would say "No we do this because we love the fans!!"

Didn't think we'd have any takers.

I dont mind as much the price increase on the figures although I'm noticing freight cost is going up with each new release as well. Being from Australia, Im now paying more than double cuz of Fedex eg, Ex Leia is in transit atm, bought for $54.99 ..yet freight was $75.85!!! I just cancelled on Palpy 2 pack and now thinking after Han and ANH Luke come in, Im done with ordering direct from SS :(

Freight is economically effected though, even my company has to deal with increased rates, it's insane what some things cost to ship.

What really frosts me though, is these shipping places will charge less to a commercial address than to a residential. I feel bad having my co-workers see how much stuff I get, but I save like $3 per item having it sent there, after a few items that's almost enough for a figure or something, so I take the savings.

I just choose to show my support for what this company is doing by buying what I can afford directly from them....my choice.

Just my ramblin' two cents there...

If Sideshow didn't have fans like you their price hiking wouldn't be worthwhile. They're counting on you!

Back