SS EPII Obi Wan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised they made an EPII Obi Wan before an EPII Anakin. And so soon after the Clone Wars Obi Wan. You'd think they would have made every Vader and Anakin by now, since Lucas considers him to be the main character.

Well, I think Ep II Obi-Wan is a result of the sculpt being ready from Clone Obi-Wan, I imagine if the Clone figure hadn't come out, we may not be seeing this one right now.

As for character choices, could be wrong, but I believe Sideshow has free reign over what things they want to do and just presents them to LFL and gets a greenlight or red light on the project, I don't think LFL says you guys need to make ________ now.

what Maulfan said!

If the sculpt was already there, it's not that unexpected. What's entirely new on the figure, just the boots?

I know there was lots of complaining about the Buck but I'd rather the majority of Star Wars figures stay on it. The new Indiana Jones on the Pro is a bit shorter than previous Han Solo figures and so unless they are going to make the Pro consistent in height with previous figures, I say keep em on the Buck. Glad this one is.

I agree about the Art S. Buck body. I haven't had any issues with them, and I have most of Sideshow's jedis on that Buck body. I've had the "floppy joint" issues with the Prometheus body on the new Indy.

Well, I think Ep II Obi-Wan is a result of the sculpt being ready from Clone Obi-Wan, I imagine if the Clone figure hadn't come out, we may not be seeing this one right now.

As for character choices, could be wrong, but I believe Sideshow has free reign over what things they want to do and just presents them to LFL and gets a greenlight or red light on the project, I don't think LFL says you guys need to make ________ now.

Clone Wars Obi-Wan coming out right when the Clone Wars TV show started makes me think LFL has some input.

Clone Wars Obi-Wan coming out right when the Clone Wars TV show started makes me think LFL has some input.

Even though it's an Obi Wan that ISN'T from that TV series? I could see if it was an Obi Wan based on the new series, or Anakin or Ashoka or something but it was based on the old Cartoon Network Microseries. Of which we already have an Asajj and Padme from so I see no LFL input here.

I am a little surprised to see the support for the Buck mannequin. But I agree. It is not all that bad a mannequin if you look at the big picture.

On the other hand, if the Prometheus did not have the loose joint, height, and breaking wrists and ankle joint issues, it would be freakin' sweet!

Even though it's an Obi Wan that ISN'T from that TV series? I could see if it was an Obi Wan based on the new series, or Anakin or Ashoka or something but it was based on the old Cartoon Network Microseries. Of which we already have an Asajj and Padme from so I see no LFL input here.

Absolutely. These figures probably take a long time to design and go into production. They wouldn't have had the new series Obi-Wan designs in time, so they just went with the micro-series design.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere here that LFL has some input over SST's choice of characters. If memory serves me correctly, I remember reading that they're usually allowed to come up with their own figure ideas, but sometimes Lucasfilm requests a specific figure. The example I remember reading was the Clone Wars Obi-Wan, to coincide with the new series (yes, even though it's not the same design from the new show...it's still a Clone Wars figure).

Here's a thread that talks a bit about LFL's imput. Check out Maulfan's post halfway down. He sums it up by saying if LFL doesn't like it, it doesn't get made, so SST doesn't really have free reign over what gets made.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22578&page=127

Last edited:
In regards to AOTC Anakin, isn't his costume basically the same as ROTS but differently colored?

And of course that weird cloak.

Absolutely. These figures probably take a long time to design and go into production. They wouldn't have had the new series Obi-Wan designs in time, so they just went with the micro-series design.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere here that LFL has some input over SST's choice of characters. If memory serves me correctly, I remember reading that they're usually allowed to come up with their own figure ideas, but sometimes Lucasfilm requests a specific figure. The example I remember reading was the Clone Wars Obi-Wan, to coincide with the new series (yes, even though it's not the same design from the new show...it's still a Clone Wars figure).

Actually they would have had the designs should they been required to do the figure. Going off Hasbro's business model, it takes a little over a year from concept to figure on the shelf. Considering Hasbro's figures were out this past summer, figure they would have needed to have the designs by LAST summer. This would have been provided to SS as well if they were required by LFL to make this figure. Also if there are posts saying LFL had SS do that, I'd be interested in seeing them. The reasoning behind Obi Wan (and this is my reasoning but I would bet it isn't far off) is that they had the armor ready to go, they had the Ep. II Obi Wan sculpt and figured, well we have Asajj and Padme but no one to go with either, let's do a CW Obi Wan. Plus if LFL could tell SS what figures to do, we would have seen a Vader before year 4 of the line, along with the Fetts and others that aren't done yet.

EDIT: And MaulFans post was talking more about clearing though LFL Licensing approval. These are the guys with the style guides. No say in what SS is making, just about what it needs to be cleared.

In regards to AOTC Anakin, isn't his costume basically the same as ROTS but differently colored?

And of course that weird cloak.

EPII Obi-Wan's costume is also basically the same, except for different coloured pants and different boots.

Depending on lighting the pants, tunic, inner shirt and boots are all different from Ep III, same styles though really. That's the problem with the films, too much messing with the colors.

Depending on lighting the pants, tunic, inner shirt and boots are all different from Ep III, same styles though really. That's the problem with the films, too much messing with the colors.

Then the same goes for EPII and EPIII Anakin.

Looking at some quick reference Id say ATOC and ROTS Anakin are almost the same costume save for the inner tunic which is a cream color in ATOC and the unique cloak. Id also wager to say it's a shade or two lighter in the browns.

Looking at some quick reference Id say ATOC and ROTS Anakin are almost the same costume save for the inner tunic which is a cream color in ATOC and the unique cloak. Id also wager to say it's a shade or two lighter in the browns.

No, the tunic and waist-wrap is a completely different material/texture, in addition to being a different colour. The EPIII boots are much darker, and so are the pants. Plus the biggest detail: The gloved hand.

I know there was lots of complaining about the Buck but I'd rather the majority of Star Wars figures stay on it. The new Indiana Jones on the Pro is a bit shorter than previous Han Solo figures and so unless they are going to make the Pro consistent in height with previous figures, I say keep em on the Buck. Glad this one is.

You know, when it debuted, the Buck was years ahead of the competition. Having collected them since pretty much day one, I don't have an issue with the Buck.

I like the buck body too. I'd prefer if they kept all the Star Wars figures on it and keep the cost down, and keep them all in the proper scale (I don't like that Clone Wars Obi-Wan is shorter than EPIII Obi-Wan). The people who don't like the Buck can swap them out with another body.

You know, I'd almost be willing to bet that the tiny tiny head size problem is actually because Indy was originally done for a Buck. Curious to see how Obi turns out since he was meant for the Buck all along.

No, the tunic and waist-wrap is a completely different material/texture, in addition to being a different colour. The EPIII boots are much darker, and so are the pants. Plus the biggest detail: The gloved hand.

Actually, since Ani has two different costumes in ROTS (the one at the begining of the film which looks more like the 12" figure and after they get home with the reddish brown pants like the PF) his pants in AOTC are more like the ones he wears at the beginning of ROTS.

Agreed though, his AOTC costume is very different from the ROTS costumes. In a lot of ways, it mirrors the ANH Vader costume, at least in its silhouette. The cloak really sold the design. While I really dig the ROTS look, the AOTC Ani is one of the best costume designs in the saga.

Back