Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One) | October 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've consumed more animation than any middle-aged man should ever admit to.

Hand drawn and CGI and stop motion, etc.

A lot of movies have good sequences, but overall aren't that interesting. I think the slavish attention to detail and fluidity is consistent through the whole movie.

Yes, there have been wonderful animated movies since 1988, but I don't think any of them can match AKIRA.

I'd put it up there with Fantasia as one of the all-time groundbreaking masterpieces.

I've consumed more animation than any middle-aged man should ever admit to.
It’s about time people realise that animation isn’t just for kids. It’s just another medium through which stories are told.

There’s such a weird stigma around animation when there really shouldn’t be.

Just watch the first ten minutes, jye. If you really think it sucks or it's boring, then turn it off! But that first ten minutes is some of the most beautiful hand-drawn animation you'll ever see. Ultra-violent, though.

I don’t think jye is the anime appreciation type. His view on anime is probably Astro boy or old mecha shows

Whenever Akira comes up in a discussion the person is usually telling me that it’s way overrated.
I'm not particularly moved by the story (there is some dynamite storytelling in other anime though), but the hype around Akira's animation is very much justified.

Jye watching Akira...

om9q0guwaix61.gif

Akira spoiled me on anime. First anime I remember seeing, on the old SciFi channel no less, and I was blown away by the detail and fluidity of the action and design. Which, to my disappointment, was NOT a common trait of anime in the 80s and 90s. The story made no sense to me at the time, but it was, and is, gorgeous to behold. And the MUSIC, incredible.

Back to topic: Spider-Verse 2 is pretty good, lovely to look at, and Spider-Punk is my new favorite. But it being part 1, only half a story, means that it cannot be better than the first one by default. To me, anyway.

No, none of the kids riding bikes (Downs or otherwise) are Akira.

So what did you think of the way the city and the bikes racing around and the guy getting shot by soldiers, etc. looked?

Jye doesn’t think video games are an art form I highly doubt he will be into akira. His generation were blown away by star wars 77 and nothing could ever top that

Back