Sideshow Stormtrooper 12" figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought they were not letting people order the exclusive version of Vader and Stormtrooper at the show.

I know that when I tried on preview night, they would not let me. But the next day, they did. I ordered the exclusive there as well.

Edit - also, there was a question earlier about the armor allowing for the ankle articulation. I took a close look at that and there is a break in the armor at the ankles. So it should allow for that articulation.

Edit 2 - I need to remember to ask what they made the body suit out of. I hope it is a spandex-type material. That leathery stuff medicom used really worked against the articulation. In my opinion, it was more the body suit than the armor that hindered the articulation (although the armor did as well).

Last edited:
I'm honestly not that concerned with ankle articulation on Vader of the Stormtroopers, I normally am quiet a stickler for it but I don't foresee myself having them posed in anything other than an "at attention" standing strait up pose. I *might* wants a little more ankle articulation on the Stormies, but with Vader I am completely okay with none.

It's not like ANH Vader ever was doing kung-fu or anything. Now on Maul, Asajj, and other new-era SW characters I care a bit more.

I see Oluf is one of the artists on this. :rock

(I was hoping this would imply a headsculpt underneath, but I doubt it).

I had hoped to sculpt a head underneath both helms, but alas. I did get to sculpt all the armor on both of these...digitally! :chew:chew:chew

I hope you all like them...and buy them!
Oluf

Wait a minute...I did sculpt a portrait to go under a helm...oh, that's right it wasn't for either of these SW characters...I can't wait until those two come out too!!!! They will be just as awesome! The guys at SS will do just as amazing a job on those as well!

Last edited:
Wait a minute...I did sculpt a portrait to go under a helm...oh, that's right it wasn't for either of these SW characters...I can't wait until those two come out too!!!! They will be just as awesome! The guys at SS will do just as amazing a job on those as well!

Hmmmm...go on Oluf, it wouldn't be a Father and son Clone combo would it???

Like and bought. Oluf, what program did you use to do the digital sculpt?

I use two programs...FreeForm Modeling Plus (FF) and Zbrush. Zbrush is fantastic for extreme detail but cumbersome for setting up outputs. FF is especially effective for most things but lacks the ability to deal with extreme detail. The meshes are really bizarre in FF though. FF creates mostly Tris. I prefer the Quads that Zbrush and Mudbox make. I have started several sculpts in FF that I later went back and retopologized in Zbrush and it worked out amazingly well! It isn't required to change the topology before sculpting in Zbrush using Tris, I just do it to fix other issues with the Tris.

I can't talk about the head sculpts that ended up under the helms I sculpted, but I promise that they will be very popular.:naughty
Oluf

I use two programs...FreeForm Modeling Plus and Zbrush. Zbrush is fantastic for extreme detail but cumbersome for setting up outputs. FreeForm is especially effective for most things but lacks the ability to deal with extreme detail. The meshes are really bizarre in FreeFormthough. I prefer the Quads that Zbrush and Mudbox make. I have started several sculpts that I later went back and retopologized in Zbrush and it worked out amazingly well!

I can't talk about the head sculpts that ended up under the helms I sculpted, but I promise that they will be very popular.:naughty
Oluf

Did you sculpt Vader's armor as well?

I had hoped to sculpt a head underneath both helms, but alas. I did get to sculpt all the armor on both of these...digitally! :chew:chew:chew

Oluf

Sounds like Luke and Han Stormtrooper disguises to me. I fancy one may be next years SDCC Exclusive.

Oluf

Oluf, can I ask.. no Widows peak? Was that a request from SS or a directive from LFL?

Back