1/6 Sideshow Star Wars TIE Fighter Pilot 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine putting a Hoth Leia with Sideshow paint next to HT ANH Leia. Even at their best.

My X-Wing Luke next to my Hoth Han will not suffer from that kind of incongruence (I already see the distance between them and Sideshow's Lando, but a new SSC Skiff Guard Lando might fit in with them nicely). Every figure doesn't have to be HT caliber, and when figures are judged solely on their own merits (and not compared to others) the difference becomes much less important.

Tarkin, Hoth Leia, Bespin Han, possibly a new Lando...no reason to not wait for HT because I know how much better they will be. (I might take a Dooku from Sideshow to keep my PT figures all on the same basic level; same for a Hoth Rebel to go with my Endor and Rebel Fleet troopers). I don't want anything less than HT at this point for any other OT hero, and Tarkin is not worth having at all if he's not out of the park.

I agree, and I also can't understand why this figure and Dooku have not been done yet? The two most glaring omissions from the antagonists of the two trilogies. I feel like my collection is incomplete without these two. I think SS could pull off the sculpt for either one, and SS's "less is more" approach to accessories lately wouldn't hurt these figures, there's really not much either one could realistically have for accessories. I just have no faith the paint apps would be up to snuff.

So what direction does SS take from here with SW? The TIE pilot (and AT-AT driver) is one of the last armored figures from the OT that SS hasn't done. The human likenesses aren't exciting collectors. There are 3 more bounty hunters to go, 2 of which could retool some existing parts. A ton of astromech and protocol droids, but those will lose appeal after a few of the more visible droids from the films have been done. Cantina/Jabba's court aliens, sure. Anything else? (I'd say Clone Wars, as there's a ton of unexplored stuff there, but that license seems dead.) Could the TIE pilot be among the last handful of SS's Star Wars offerings before Hot Toys runs with the license?

Could be. There's the Royal Guards and Gunners of course. Hoth Commander maybe. I'd like to see them do a Death Star Trooper although they are pretty simple to bash. At least there wouldn't be likeness issues. Just make an evil British looking guy. They've got a few years left in them if they get a reality check in the pricing structure department.

I can't imagine putting a Hoth Leia with Sideshow paint next to HT ANH Leia. Even at their best.

That would be jarring, especially with how good Leia looks as a proto.

devilof76 said:
My X-Wing Luke next to my Hoth Han will not suffer from that kind of incongruence...

I think Luke would stand proudly (in helmet) alongside his HT friends:

attachment.php

I also like Hoth Luke and Han in their caps. Without their caps it a bit of a different story.

devilof76 said:
...(I already see the distance between them and Sideshow's Lando, but a new SSC Skiff Guard Lando might fit in with them nicely). Every figure doesn't have to be HT caliber, and when figures are judged solely on their own merits (and not compared to others) the difference becomes much less important.

A Skiff Lando in helmet would probably work like X-Wing Luke. But you're always limiting yourself to one look, whereas a HT could likely be displayed with or without helmet just as well.

Funny how the Kenner TIE Fighter Pilot was released on an ESB card yet that was the one movie where you never actually see a shot of a pilot flying his TIE.

You do see one ejected from his exploding TIE though, don't you? In the asteroid chase?

You do indeed. After seeing ESB in the theater in 1980 I was content watching it on pan & scan VHS from that point on until a coworker in the early 90's told me he got the letterbox version and that he noticed a TIE pilot spiraling in flames out of his exploding TIE. I was all "WTF!?!??? Show me, SHOW ME!" And I literally followed him home and he fast forwarded to that scene and I was blown away. Of course as the film continued to play I couldn't get over how I'd actually been okay with missing HALF THE MOVIE on my current VHS tapes. From that point on I finally "got" how horrible pan & scan was and never picked that format if letterboxing was available.

From that point on I finally "got" how horrible pan & scan was and never picked that format if letterboxing was available.

Yep, letterbox all the way. Although, back in the 90's with your massive 32" CRTs, you really ended up with a puny theatrical presentation. But I loved it all the same -- and I only had a 27" Sony Trinitron.

Yep, letterbox all the way. Although, back in the 90's with your massive 32" CRTs, you really ended up with a puny theatrical presentation. But I loved it all the same -- and I only had a 27" Sony Trinitron.

Ha, I remember paying $1100 (!) retail for my precious 32 inch Sony back in the 90's. :lol

I also had a fancy laserdisc player that would play BOTH sides of one disc. Oh yes, you may bow down to my greatness...

I think Luke would stand proudly (in helmet) alongside his HT friends:

I also like Hoth Luke and Han in their caps. Without their caps it a bit of a different story.

They're good figures. They're just not the best.

A Skiff Lando in helmet would probably work like X-Wing Luke. But you're always limiting yourself to one look, whereas a HT could likely be displayed with or without helmet just as well.

Similarly to Luke, I probably wouldn't take the helmet off. That look is why I want the figure.

You were also considered wise if you bought a separate "tape rewinder" so as not to over exert your precious VHS player.

Yep. I had it all. Full surround too, 5.1 Dolby. Watching my little 9inch tall letterbox Jurassic Park with full surround that shook the house when the T-rex came out.

As Thor would say, it's so ... 'tiny' now.

These Tie Pilot fly like the TK's shoot. 4 days from Hong Kong to Shengzen (only 17km from HK). Hopefully he's flying direct(ish) from there. Pity Tie's don't have a hyperdrive.

Back