1/6 Sideshow Star Wars TIE Fighter Pilot 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my review of the TIE Pilot. Overall, I think this is a fantastic figure! I think the helmet is pretty nice, although I'm not one to be so picky on whether it's totally screen accurate. In hand, it looks as I remember it from the movie so that's all I'm going by. The eyes could have been better if they had made them slightly transluscent, but it seems they are just painted the same glossy black as the rest of the helmet.

The suit tailoring is awesome, and fits the underlying body well. The thin waist was surprisingly a non-issue for me in hand. I complained about it previously and from looking at previous photos, but in hand it's not very noticeable. The belt length is tailored to fit the waist pretty much perfectly with very little room to move to make it wider.

The underlying body for me is one of the better ones from Sideshow in my collection. All joints move quite nicely, although the shoulders do feel a little loose when swinging out to the sides. But other than that it all seems good. The legs seem to be on a ratchet when swinging out to the sides, which I think it different to other bodies I've had where it's mostly friction joints from memory.

Either way, I think this figure is proof positive that Sideshow should stop making human figures/head sculpts, and just focus on helmeted/armoured/masked figures! I really like this figure a lot, and it looks great next to all the other Star Wars figures. It's quality for me is every bit as awesome as Hot Toys. I just wish Sideshow could make me feel the same about their human sculpts and facial paint applications!

Anyway, here's my full video review with all my thoughts stepping through the figure. Hope you can all check it out and subscribe if you like the review :)

Did your's fly direct from Hong Kong? Mines seems to be stopping in every country in Asia. Spent the entire day yesterday in Singapore. Don't they know there are direct flights from Hong Kong? If I'm lucky it'll hit Sydney today and deliver tomorrow.

Did your's fly direct from Hong Kong? Mines seems to be stopping in every country in Asia. Spent the entire day yesterday in Singapore. Don't they know there are direct flights from Hong Kong? If I'm lucky it'll hit Sydney today and deliver tomorrow.

I'm picturing a guy on a scooter with your package strapped on the back.

LOL!! Yes, there were some that got lucky and got onto the first flight out of HK. That one went straight to Australia.

But there are TIE Pilots for other collectors and my Xwing Luke too that seem to have gotten onto a plane that has gone to a number of airports! For some reason it went from HK back to Shenzhen, then went onto Singapore! Hopefully my Xwing Luke will arrive before the weekend.

LOL!! Yes, there were some that got lucky and got onto the first flight out of HK. That one went straight to Australia.

But there are TIE Pilots for other collectors and my Xwing Luke too that seem to have gotten onto a plane that has gone to a number of airports! For some reason it went from HK back to Shenzhen, then went onto Singapore! Hopefully my Xwing Luke will arrive before the weekend.

Perhaps my Pilot and your Luke are dogfighting taking them way off course.

I'm picturing a guy on a scooter with your package strapped on the back.

:rotfl

He's looking great so far... seems Sideshow should stick to these kind of characters and leave the human portraits alone.

Beautiful chest hair, though.

What an odd body choice... good proportions though and glad to see I was wrong about them using the pro 1.0 with super thin forearms. And those necks to have some articulation like the TTM-19 and that may be sufficient as the helmet and hoses will restrict any neck.

Nice job khai, gave me a good look at a figure that I was probably 50/50 on before your review. Looks to have turned out pretty well. If there was a November code I probably would use it on this. Maybe next month.

To me the figure lacks realism. Reminds me of an upgraded Hasbro toy.

I'll save money for the eventual HT release.

Not sure what additional realism you'd expect? :huh

The only thing I can think of as an improvement would be slightly translucent brown eyes similar to the green lenses on the Stormtroopers. Other than that, I can't really find much more to fault with the figure in terms of realism. Standing side by side with the Hot Toys Stormtroopers, the quality of this figure is pretty consistent for me. I find it hard to see where Hot Toys could improve on it.

Not sure what additional realism you'd expect? The only thing I can think of as an improvement would be slightly translucent brown eyes similar to the green lenses on the Stormtroopers. Other than that, I can't really find much more to fault with the figure in terms of realism. Standing side by side with the Hot Toys Stormtroopers, the quality of this figure is pretty consistent for me. I find it hard to see where Hot Toys could improve on it.

The difference between the SS and HT stormtroopers are very minor. IF HT ever makes one (which i doubt they will) it will be virtually imperceptible.

To me the figure lacks realism. Reminds me of an upgraded Hasbro toy.

I'll save money for the eventual HT release.

What can HT do to improve this?
Give it a body type that can pull off hundreds of dynamic poses?
Yeah cos the TIE pilots did a lot of those for the 20 seconds of screen time they had.

I love Hot Toys as much as the next guy, but come on now. This guy looks great. And is WAY nicer than Hasbro..

The tailoring on the outfit is excellent, and the paint app on the armour and helmet is great too. No complaints about the body either - one of the better underlying bodies I've had from Sideshow!

Great shots & review. ..can't wait to add this Imperial to the ranks. Appreciate the look you've given us here.....thanks!

Khai, very nice review. The figure looks pretty good and the helmet looks really sharp with maybe the only down side being the lenses. Tubes look a little thick aesthetically but that might be accurate.

Once some of the orders I've placed ship I'll reconsider. The main thing I'm still a bit unsure of is the tailoring on the suit around the hips, prefer the fit of the Luke X-Wing suit. Would love to see a shot next to the HT stormie and Luke too.

I'm surprised by the shape of the eyes on the TIE helmet as I thought they were supposed to be the same as the stormtroopers but the eyes seem to angle downward on the side more (not speaking just about the figure as it looks accurate to shots I see from the flick).

Back