Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, there's no need to bring in accuracy when there is no true intention to buy something. However we all wish it was cheaper but it isn't. Maybe wait it out then like a few of us here :dunno

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

So unless you're buying it, you can't talk about it?

I'm hoping Sideshow will produce more Godzilla maquettes, like some classic designs, but I have a feeling this will be a one off. With the supposed high licensing fees having put this out of reach for a lot of collectors, I can't see Sideshow spending any more effort and money making any more pieces. I pray I'm pleasantly surprised because I want a high-end classic G, yet the X-Plus pieces just don't cut it for me.

It's a shame that the licensing fees (plus Sideshow's markup on top of that) has made this too cost prohibitive. I think it's gorgeous. $650 would have been more reasonable, I think. I just had to fix my AC in the house yesterday. That cost $825. Really puts things into perspective for me in terms of how far I want to go with this hobby financially.

I question how much the cost is driven by the license, at the risk of pissing some people off, I'll mention NECA again. They've secured rights to do 2014 and classic Godzilla figures and their product is priced the same as any other license. I know the Godzilla license has historically been hard to get, but I can't fathom Sideshow being forced to pay more to use it than NECA, certainly not enough to cause a dramatic price hike. If anything I'd attribute this more to supply and demand, how often does an American company get to produce stuff where U.S. customers can buy without import costs and such.

I dunno how much more detailed the paint can be on this guy. He was pretty much a grey/brown mass in the movie.

So unless you're buying it, you can't talk about it?
No but making excuses as to why you won't buy it when you aren't going to regardless of the pointless points you give just sounds like a lot of nonsense

No but making excuses as to why you won't buy it when you aren't going to regardless of the pointless points you give just sounds like a lot of nonsense

Come on Jedi.... I don't think he was making excuses.. I think that is being unfair to the point that was made... If you Charge 800.00 for something it should at least be more film accurate then a 50.00 toy...

Personally I don't know why the MAquette is not film accurate. It does look different then the film but I couldnt tell you why.... I am just taking Maulfans word for it because the guy has been obsessing over this film for over a year now :)

It's a great piece to be sure... I hope those who want it and get it will love it... Those who don't want to pay that much (Me) or can't afford it... Well I hope you find something to fill your Godzilla need (I did :) )

PS - Have nothing but respect for you Jedisword. Just letting you know in case it seems like I am coming at you.

Last edited:
Come on Jedi.... I don't think he was making excuses.. I think that is being unfair to the point that was made... If you Charge 800.00 for something it should at least be more film accurate then a 50.00 toy...

Personally I don't know why the MAquette is not film accurate.... I am just taking Maulfans word for it because the guy has been obsessing over this film for over a year now :)

It's a great piece to be sure... I hope those who want it and get it will love it... Those who don't want to pay that much (Me) or can't afford it... Well I hope you find something to fill your Godzilla need (I did :) )

Lol I know what you're saying bro, just saying man. This is like the Keaton PF fiasco where everyone was like oh he tilted his head its not movie accurate. My point was that movie accurate or not Maulfan wasn't going to buy it, so using that to argue a point doesn't make sense in this case. If its too expensive say that as a reason instead of finding other reasons just to come off as if price wasnt the Real issue. And to be fair it is a lotore expensive then statues we are used to, but then again there's XM and Prime 1 that charge ridiculous prices comparatively. If this were made by either of them it'd cost well over a $1k after the fact.

Personally I think it looks good and like I've stated, I also feel like this is expensive (more so than it's probably worth but that again is based on previous prices the way we're used to) and will be using RP and a wait-out period til its possible for me too.

The prices on this hobby are spinning out of control, whether due to licensing, manufacturing costs, greed, or a combination of the three. I cannot in good conscience spend $800 on this piece, regardless how much I want it. That said, if SS offers double rewards and free shipping on this statue down the road, I could conceivably get it for $600. Because I'm a schmuck, I'll cave if that happens.

Personally I don't know why the MAquette is not film accurate. It does look different then the film but I couldnt tell you why.... I am just taking Maulfans word for it because the guy has been obsessing over this film for over a year now :)

PS - Have nothing but respect for you Jedisword. Just letting you know in case it seems like I am coming at you.

Thank you.

Lol I know what you're saying bro, just saying man. This is like the Keaton PF fiasco where everyone was like oh he tilted his head its not movie accurate. My point was that movie accurate or not Maulfan wasn't going to buy it, so using that to argue a point doesn't make sense in this case. If its too expensive say that as a reason instead of finding other reasons just to come off as if price wasnt the Real issue. And to be fair it is a lotore expensive then statues we are used to, but then again there's XM and Prime 1 that charge ridiculous prices comparatively. If this were made by either of them it'd cost well over a $1k after the fact.

Personally I think it looks good and like I've stated, I also feel like this is expensive (more so than it's probably worth but that again is based on previous prices the way we're used to) and will be using RP and a wait-out period til its possible for me too.

I'm not justifying why I won't can't get it, I've flat out said, i can't spend the $800 no matter what. I love Godzilla, and I especially really like the design and as JAWS said, I've obsessed over this movie for the past 4 years and looked at and downloaded every image of the design out there. I have a lot to say and enjoy discussing it. i got behind the NECA discussion because I've looked at every figure/statue for this movie to date and consider it hte most accurate you can get for your money, and I find it interesting that $50 can get you that but $800 can't.

Thank you.

I'm not justifying why I won't can't get it, I've flat out said, i can't spend the $800 no matter what. I love Godzilla, and I especially really like the design and as JAWS said, I've obsessed over this movie for the past 4 years and looked at and downloaded every image of the design out there. I have a lot to say and enjoy discussing it. i got behind the NECA discussion because I've looked at every figure/statue for this movie to date and consider it hte most accurate you can get for your money, and I find it interesting that $50 can get you that but $800 can't.
Dude I didn't realize you were like ZillaFan. Okay, so you tell me what about this statue is that upsetting to you? Is it the sculpt is it the pose, paint?

Dude I didn't realize you were like ZillaFan. Okay, so you tell me what about this statue is that upsetting to you? Is it the sculpt is it the pose, paint?

I wouldn't call it upsetting, I don't feel that strongly, but it's clearly not accurate and noticeable to me. The biggest two are the spines and the tail length. The spines on the outer row on each side are generic and not the shapes from the movie, and even the ones in the middles, some are more the general shape but they also look thicker and not as sharp. On a toy that's to be expected but a statue, especially of this size, could easily come to finer points. The tail is also shortened, and likely for packaging and composition, but over the franchise, there have been shorter and longer tailed Godzilla's and ones with longer tails don't look as good when products reduce them. As good as this statue looks overall, his tail loses some of the threat by being cut short, it seems like he just has it where it was a weapon in the movie.

I wouldn't call it upsetting, I don't feel that strongly, but it's clearly not accurate and noticeable to me. The biggest two are the spines and the tail length. The spines on the outer row on each side are generic and not the shapes from the movie, and even the ones in the middles, some are more the general shape but they also look thicker and not as sharp. On a toy that's to be expected but a statue, especially of this size, could easily come to finer points. The tail is also shortened, and likely for packaging and composition, but over the franchise, there have been shorter and longer tailed Godzilla's and ones with longer tails don't look as good when products reduce them. As good as this statue looks overall, his tail loses some of the threat by being cut short, it seems like he just has it where it was a weapon in the movie.
Really? That's it? I'm more ticked off that for $800 it has no light up effect. Now THAT would've been a game changer

There's also something lacking in the face, I don't know what it is, but the expressive quality he had in the movie and some of the figures just isn't coming through, neither the official shots or the comic con shots.

Light gimmicks don't bother me, it'd be cool but I wouldn't leave it on all the time so it'd just be extra cost for nothing.

The statue captures the attitude overall in the posture and all from the movie and gets the big picture right so that's why I still wish I could get it, but studying it, there are flaws that can be pointed out, not necessarily deal breakers, just discussion points.

There's also something lacking in the face, I don't know what it is, but the expressive quality he had in the movie and some of the figures just isn't coming through, neither the official shots or the comic con shots.

Light gimmicks don't bother me, it'd be cool but I wouldn't leave it on all the time so it'd just be extra cost for nothing.

The statue captures the attitude overall in the posture and all from the movie and gets the big picture right so that's why I still wish I could get it, but studying it, there are flaws that can be pointed out, not necessarily deal breakers, just discussion points.
I don't see any of what you see so that makes me happy. When I have it in hand I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it. Zilla looks amazing and the detail is ridiculous and love the whole feel of the piece. It sucks that you don't like it enough to get it but to each his own :peace

The price is the biggest factor for me. $800 just seems insane compared to other Sideshow pieces, but they keep going up and up and people keep buying. I'm going to have $400 in rewards points in about a month, so I could get this for a more reasonable price by subsidizing their stupid price with my points, but I don't feel right about using them to make Sideshow's overpricing easier to take.

It sucks that you don't like it enough to get it but to each his own :peace

That's where you keep misunderstanding me, I don't dislike it to not want to buy it, I can't afford it, period, I like it a lot and would happily buy it if I could. I have a 4 month old and I'm the sole income for my family so there's little room for collectibles these days. It was a birthday present to get the NECA figure. I entered the giveaway for this and I will try any other means to win one, I'd love to have it in my collection.

Like I said, I just love Godzilla, this movie and the design from this film so I enjoy talking about pieces based on it. I've been as critical of NECA, SHMA, JAKKS, Bandai, it's just fun to talk about the good and bad of companies' work.

MaulFan I'm surprised you didn't mention the snout. The snout appears longer than the CGI model in the movie. The tail apears shorter but not as short as many here have indicated. The NECA model tail is too long compared to the movie counterpart.

As to the price....it's quite ridiculous. I was hoping for $500-$600, but thought maybe we'd have to shell out $700 since prices these days are out of control. $800 IS crazy, and I agree it's likely not because of licensing for the same reasons MaulFan stated. Hope they come out with a good discount or combined free shipping with rewards points for this piece, otherwise I'm not sure how to justify getting this at this price point.

Back