Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. It will still continue to work fine and serve its purpose even after Hot Toys releases their Vader.
(^_-)

It's really a personal opinion which of the Hot Toys or Sideshow or Marmit or Medicom or Hasbro or Kenner looks best to you.

You guys think it's okay to get this Vader instead of HT? I'm starting to wonder if they'll even fix his armor that is too short. It just doesn't look as good as this one in that regard.

I think this Vader is pretty awesome in hand. I'm aware of all the issues but the dome is a total non issue for me as I usually see him in profile, and he looks awesome from that angle. Currently I have him displayed as Uncle Fester with the helmet display to mix it up, but if none of the extras interest you they can all be sold off for a decent price and reduce the overall cost.

I think this Vader is pretty awesome in hand. I'm aware of all the issues but the dome is a total non issue for me as I usually see him in profile, and he looks awesome from that angle. Currently I have him displayed as Uncle Fester with the helmet display to mix it up, but if none of the extras interest you they can all be sold off for a decent price and reduce the overall cost.

Very nice, I think thats how I would display him as well, in the middle of a dual with HT Luke. My current plan is to get HT Obi-Wan & Vader and do that dual scene but I'm starting to get a little impatient for a Vader, especially after getting the HT stormies.

It's up to you, but I'd get this Vader (again) if I still didn't have one. First because I find elements of this one more pleasing than the HT version and secondly because it's more ESB/RoTJ. The lower price and extras are a bonus.

I might consider the HT Vader suit if it turns out well in hand.

You guys think it's okay to get this Vader instead of HT? I'm starting to wonder if they'll even fix his armor that is too short. It just doesn't look as good as this one in that regard.

The HT Vader looks the most proportionate to me, even if it too seems to be ridicilously tall and then there is the price to consider. The SSC Deluxe has all kinds of problems, so if I had to choose between the two SSC Vaders I would go for the ANH and get a Hasbro dome unless you want the pretty (to me) useless trinkets you get with the deluxe.

For me the profile view is the problem with the placing of the dome. If you see him from straight forward and looking at the ceiling (which is the pose most people have him in for some peculiar reason :wink1:) it kind of hides it, but from any other angle you see that the dome looks all kinds of wrong.

They might be, I don't know how easy a sell they would be. The big stand is cool, but still, loose the head/mask/dome/stand/big stand and knock of $50-$65 and I would have been a lot happier. It will cost more than that to get the figure looking decent IMO. The only thing I really liked was the cape and robe and a lot of people have bought aftermarket capes/robes. :lol

I sold off the stand alone for $39 plus shipping. Again they may be useless to some, but others like them and they do all together make a nice unhelmeted display. The angle I have him in looks good to me--slightly above 3/4 profile. The same angle I've seen the HT figure, the mask looks somewhat fox-like, so to each his own (notice how HT didn't show that angle in their promo shots). Anyway that figure may indeed be worth picking up, don't think I need 2 vaders, but usually I can't pass up a better iteration of something.

I sold off the stand alone for $39 plus shipping. Again they may be useless to some, but others like them and they do all together make a nice unhelmeted display. The angle I have him in looks good to me--slightly above 3/4 profile. The same angle I've seen the HT figure, the mask looks somewhat fox-like, so to each his own (notice how HT didn't show that angle in their promo shots). Anyway that figure may indeed be worth picking up, don't think I need 2 vaders, but usually I can't pass up a better iteration of something.

For now, I need about four Vaders. I already have both SSC versions and a Medi 2.0, so odds are good that I will own a HT before long. All have problems, some more severe than others, and at some point I might give up on the whole concept, but not yet at least.

Forgive me if this has been asked before. But can the stock Vader look straight ahead? In alot of the pics I see posted he is always looking to the clouds...

Or is this possible with a mod?

Forgive me if this has been asked before. But can the stock Vader look straight ahead? In alot of the pics I see posted he is always looking to the clouds...

Of course he can, it's just that when looking straight forward it's plain to see how bad the dome is placed on the head. So by tilting the whole head upwards the dome ends up lower down the back of the neck and voila, it kinda sorta looks like Vader, at a quick glance.

Yes, it can.

Vader just looks more regal with his head tilted up.

we are all trying to achieve the Dave prowse trying to look though the mouth grill to see the other actors pose

Having this Vader on my shelf, I see no reason to buy another 1:6 Vader anytime soon unless someone releases one exactly like this one with some improvements like:

Dome better placed on the head.
Proper bulk to the body esp. arms.
Full rotj likeness and not mixed with esb.

Besides that this one is pretty much as good as it gets for 1:6, Sideshow did a great job on it and it deserved the figure of the year award it won even considering the competition.

Having this Vader on my shelf, I see no reason to buy another 1:6 Vader anytime soon unless someone releases one exactly like this one with some improvements like:

Dome better placed on the head.
Proper bulk to the body esp. arms.
Full rotj likeness and not mixed with esb.

Besides that this one is pretty much as good as it gets for 1:6, Sideshow did a great job on it and it deserved the figure of the year award it won even considering the competition.

You'll get 2 out 3 with Hot Toys' release. Since Hot Toys will be ANH Vader, you'll want to stick with Sideshow for the ROTJ look.

As far as the Figure of the Year award, take that with a grain of salt. I would consider it more like Sideshow's figure of the year. There are plenty of other figures from multiple manufacturers that are more deserving of the title.

Yeah I have nothing wrong with this Vader. I like the ESB look better than the ANH and see no reason to get the HT version. I am hoping for a 1/4 scale version of the ESB Vader from Hot Toys tho. That would be awesome!

Back