Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, if I get this figure, it will only be for customisation. Here's what I'll do if I decide to get one (or hopefully I can get some parts from whoever decides to split the figure up into parts if sellers treat this like they do the Hot Toys releases).

KP02 body. (Much more accurately sized / proportioned for Vader).
Sideshow ANH Vader body suit. (FAR superior to the new one and we already know that it works perfectly with the KP02 body).
Sideshow ANH Vader codpiece.
Sideshow ANH Vader mask with Hasbro dome replacement.
Sideshow ANH chest box.
Sideshow ESB / ROTJ belt boxes and buckle.
Sideshow ESB / ROTJ inner robe and cape.
Sideshow ESB / ROTJ shin guards and boots.
Sideshow ESB / ROTJ chest armor (with some black dry brushed streaks over the silver parts to make it match the more weathered appearance of the original ANH armor).

Since my preference is for ANH Vader, I will use the ESB parts on my ANH Vader so it will have the inner robe worn OVER the chest armor rather than under it.

I think the height of the body on this new version is an awful disappointment as it's quite clearly way too big when compared to other normal sized figures. Yes, Vader was big but he wasn't as huge as Sideshow have made him here. :slap

Agreed. Also my plan, although I have the ilforigno cape/tunic set.

I agree in this disappointment. Can't solve the height issue, really?

People blindly look past this on Vader for some reason, but if it were Han or Luke or someone else it would be a huge issue. Being an inch overscale at this scale is huge. It's almost as bad as the under-scaled Medi-size, although bigger is usually better.

Everyone here better learn how to do the torso mod from 4 years ago.

Yeah, the whole giant Vader "having shelf presence" doesn't work for me. A little too tall is fine, but when I took that monstrosity out of the ANH box I actually chuckled. He was so big it was comical. He TOWERED over everything. It was ridiculous. :lol

So what is the correct size?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

This is my first purchase directly from SS. I am so stoked! It has re-ignited my desire to collect 1/6 figures.

Background: I had close to 60 figures up until 2011. (SS, HT, Medicom. The majority of them SS.) Sadly, I was forced to sell my collection to fight for custody of my daughter.:monkey2

The last figures I desperately held on to were SS EX Stromtrooper, Yoda, and ANH Vader. I vowed to never sell them! Sadly, things got even harder in court and I did have to sell them...along with many other cherished items. No worries though...I succeeded in court. Remember, no object can compare to your loved ones, family and what it is like being a Dad.

Now that things are good, Im overjoyed to start collecting again. Excited about replacing my beloved Vader with an even better version than the first!

Vader will be my fourth figure in "round two" of collecting. (so far I have SS Jedi Luke Ex, Emperor Ex, Battle Droids EX) My daughter is even on board this time. Cheers!:)

This is my first purchase directly from SS. I am so stoked! It has re-ignited my desire to collect 1/6 figures.

Background: I had close to 60 figures up until 2011. (SS, HT, Medicom. The majority of them SS.) Sadly, I was forced to sell my collection to fight for custody of my daughter.:monkey2

The last figures I desperately held on to were SS EX Stromtrooper, Yoda, and ANH Vader. I vowed to never sell them! Sadly, things got even harder in court and I did have to sell them...along with many other cherished items. No worries though...I succeeded in court. Remember, no object can compare to your loved ones, family and what it is like being a Dad.

Now that things are good, Im overjoyed to start collecting again. Excited about replacing my beloved Vader with an even better version than the first!

Vader will be my fourth figure in "round two" of collecting. (so far I have SS Jedi Luke Ex, Emperor Ex, Battle Droids EX) My daughter is even on board this time. Cheers!:)

Wow that's really sad and tough times man sorry to hear that but glad everything is resolved and got the issues aside. Welcome back! Really excited for this new Vader. I can't wait either. :hi5::panic:

Re the stormtroopers, I'm baffled that marmit stormtroopers were still better sculpted by a foreign company--
when ss is the company in the ent capital of the world, comprised of world class artists, with access to all manner of props and references due to its relationships in the business...and access to lucasfilm directly...

They better have a stormtrooper 2.0 in the works and it should surpass marmit's...there's no excuse...

Yeah! That bugs me the most. :lol They could easily match HT quality with their resources.
I don't know why they don't bother to.

I agree in this disappointment. Can't solve the height issue, really?

People blindly look past this on Vader for some reason, but if it were Han or Luke or someone else it would be a huge issue. Being an inch overscale at this scale is huge. It's almost as bad as the under-scaled Medi-size, although bigger is usually better.

Everyone here better learn how to do the torso mod from 4 years ago.

Torso mod? :monkey4 I'm sorry, if it's a stupid question. :lol I don't spend too much time in the SW section.

1551517_751803451515289_1591092400_n.jpg

Sideshow Vader - 1/6 version of Manute Bol.

Has anyone thought of a fix for skinny arms ?

I really want to have only one vader to add to my small collection but I want the most accurate and detailed one, is this the one or anyone can recommend something else?

Has anyone thought of a fix for skinny arms ?

I really want to have only one vader to add to my small collection but I want the most accurate and detailed one, is this the one or anyone can recommend something else?

Its looking more and more like another KP body switch is going to be in order. Hopefully this rumored new batch actually happens.

WTH is going with these over sized Sideshow Vaders? :slap

Re the stormtroopers, I'm baffled that marmit stormtroopers were still better sculpted by a foreign company--
when ss is the company in the ent capital of the world, comprised of world class artists, with access to all manner of props and references due to its relationships in the business...and access to lucasfilm directly...

They better have a stormtrooper 2.0 in the works and it should surpass marmit's...there's no excuse...
That sculptor of marmit proto vader, bandai's metal threepio, and likely marmit stormtrooper has singlehandedly raised the bar for ss since back in 97...er whenever he sculpted for marmit...

I said this a long time ago, and some people said I was too harsh...

will bit and ordered this guy, cape looks so much better than the ANH without all those creases and looking at the rebelscum shots the helmet on the new vader is actually sized much better for this head, the ANH looks like the helmet is too small on a head that's too big, also the eyes on the new Vader look more menacing.

chest panals dont look as cheaps as ANH ones and not being able to see the stitching in the suit is another big bonus, my ANH vader is the only figure ive had people say looks more like a toy than a nice model so this will be a nice upgrade.

Really looking forward to seeing this in the hands of some boardies that actually take the time to futz and pose their figures.

Been thinking about picking this up and doing a mish-mash with the ANH parts and selling off the stuff I don't want.

Is there any consensus on the dome/mask? I think it's solid.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for noticing, Sol. Yeah, I've been going full-bore on my 1:1 Boba Fett, so I've stepped back from 1:6 somewhat. I have Vader and Prototype Fett on preorder, and I'm quite excited for both.

This Vader looks great, but the sheer size (to me, at least) is somewhat of a negative. I know Vader is a big guy, but he shouldn't make other figures looks like dwarves (like he does with the stormtroopers above). Screen accuracy is huge for me, and although it looks like SideShow has gotten the vast majority of the details correct, I'm saddened by the size. But I'm hoping it's different in-hand. We'll find out soon!

Your opinion is the only one i really care about.:wink1: I'll be waiting to hear what you think.

Back