Sideshow Distribute Medicom 1:6 RAH 501st clonetrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is cool news but I wish instead of re-releases Medicom would put some more effort into their line and diversify it a bit more with other non-armor type characters. It just seems that's all they do is re-release already existing figures, ROTJ Vader, ROTS Vader, Stormtrooper, Black Hole Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper, White clone and now this, they are just re-using old molds to make more money...

Countdown to Chavez :lol

I don't recall them saying they wouldn't be at TF this year. That would change my mind on if I wanted to go or not.

Oh you know what? They did say that in a spookchat. I don't remember who it was, but they basically said their presence at TF would be an "Online" present but not a literal one next year. :monkey2

I had totally forgotten about that.

I didn't get into the chat a lot during the day so I probably missed that. Looks like I may not be going to TF then.

Medicom's Star Wars line seems somewhat guideless, I don't get what their thought process is behind figure selections. Vader can go with Stormtroopers, and that's about it. The remainder of their Star Wars offering is stand alone figures, they aren't building a line that can feel like a collection. Jango and Boba can go together in a father son mix, but in film context they never meet. The clones have absolutely no figures to go with them in a story context, nor does Darth Maul. That's one area where Sideshow and Hot Toys do better with release choices in larger scale properties, they make pieces that can go together and give a sense of unity and a feeling that you have a collection instead of just single gems.

My opinion on why they choose the figures they do is;

1) They only pick figures that are guaranteed big sellers eg; Vader, Troopers, Boba, Maul
2) They pick figures that they can re-use molds so that maximizes the profit from previous releases, like for example the ROTJ Vader and ROTS have differences but from what I have heard not huge, Stormtrooper mold has been used three times now, White trooper, Black hole Trooper, Sandtrooper. Jango/Boba have similar pieces, and I bet we will see a couple more colored clones if this one sells well.

Now don't go jumping on me because of this, I still like their figures but I see Medicom as a company not taking too many chances with their releases, unless it's a blockbuster fan followed sell out type character we won't see it in the line. Which is a shame since they make such nice figures.

Now don't go jumping on me because of this, I still like their figures but I see Medicom as a company not taking too many chances with their releases, unless it's a blockbuster fan followed sell out type character we won't see it in the line. Which is a shame since they make such nice figures.

I don't think there's anything to jump on really. Thinking about Medicom as a whole, they really do come off as a play it safe company. Spider-Man, you get Spidey, Symbiote and Venom from SM3, where Hot Toys and probably Sideshow would have done a Mary Jane and Harry and Sandman figure, but Medi just went with, as you said, the ones likely to sell well. Same for Pirates of the Caribbean and X-Men 3, they only made Jack Sparrow and Wolverine, which are the 2 most popular characters of their respective series, and then they stopped, and we already know Hot Toys is pouring more into the Pirates license than just Jack Sparrow.

If they worked at bringing their prices down, they could afford to do "gamble" pieces and still come out alright in the end, but as pricey as they are, I'm sure many lesser characters would sell poorly.

I knew this was coming eventually. bring on the clone commanders!

My opinion on why they choose the figures they do is;

1) They only pick figures that are guaranteed big sellers eg; Vader, Troopers, Boba, Maul
2) They pick figures that they can re-use molds so that maximizes the profit from previous releases, like for example the ROTJ Vader and ROTS have differences but from what I have heard not huge, Stormtrooper mold has been used three times now, White trooper, Black hole Trooper, Sandtrooper. Jango/Boba have similar pieces, and I bet we will see a couple more colored clones if this one sells well.

5 4 3 2 1 And Sideshow "doesn't" re-use molds.:lol I mean c'mon just because Medicom does'nt make unknown characters like Pajj and Endor rebel troops,that does'nt mean that their not taking chances.

By the way,that Medicom Maul figure that's coming out looks awesome!

Damn Skippy!

5 4 3 2 1 And Sideshow "doesn't" re-use molds.:lol I mean c'mon just because Medicom does'nt make unknown characters like Pajj and Endor rebel troops,that does'nt mean that their not taking chances.

They do. However, I don't see how you can say Medicom IS taking chances with the SW stuff. Unless you count making a figure of Mark Hamill's stunt double. :rotfl

Hopefully it'll happen, but hard to say, Medicom does seem to only go for slight variants on these figures, the shoulder pad to the Stormtrooper to make a Sandtrooper was pretty simple, but the more interesting Commanders would require significant additions and changes, Gree would be the only one that needs simple changes and that'd be the shoulder straps on his torso armor. I'd love to see them do Cody, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Oh you know what? They did say that in a spookchat. I don't remember who it was, but they basically said their presence at TF would be an "Online" present but not a literal one next year. :monkey2

I had totally forgotten about that.

I thought it was a certain someone who knows certain people who had this information.

Damn Skippy!

They do. However, I don't see how you can say Medicom IS taking chances with the SW stuff. Unless you count making a figure of Mark Hamill's stunt double. :rotfl

See that's all you got is Medi luke,and I'll say this last thing and then we've seriously got stop this SS vs Medicom sh%# because I'm getting real sick of getting messages from DarkLord Dave,telling me that I'm hurting you guys feelings.:lol

But you know,I really like what I've seen with Medicom's stuff and I know a lot of you have too.I really just cant get into the SS 12" line for reasons everyone already knows.But I think if SS was the one making the armoured
figures the way medicom is,then we would'nt be hearing this talk about Medicom re-using molds and about how their line is bland,instead you guys would eating it up like it was your girl on saturday nite.:lol

Chavez, Medicom makes nice products, but the same gripes about the Medi line have been expressed before about the Sideshow line; people want diversity, and Medicom isn't going that avenue right now. I think the general vibe around this thread is, great job again Medicom, but when you going to try something new. People want to see what Medicom can do outside of the troopers and Fetts, get into Palpatines and Hans and Leias and touch upon the Kit Fistos and more interesting alien designs. I have a strong feeling Maul is going to exist by himself for a good while, if not forever, but at least Sideshow has captured 2/3 of that duel's combatants and for the sake of diversifying their line, haven't gotten to the last 1/3, but what's Medicom waiting for, they have Luke as their sole unarmored Star Wars character, do Obi-Wan, do Qui-Gon, build upon the line, don't become a trooper factory.

Pretty cool that Medicom is finally giving us this version of the Clone. And at least now I will have more clones to work with, just will have to cover up markings to make new versions.

I'll probably get one just to tweak it. :rock

Needs battle damage.

Medicom rocks, HT rocks, SS rocks,and they all have their flaws they're toys ****.. Move on now.

I don't think there's anything to jump on really. Thinking about Medicom as a whole, they really do come off as a play it safe company. Spider-Man, you get Spidey, Symbiote and Venom from SM3, where Hot Toys and probably Sideshow would have done a Mary Jane and Harry and Sandman figure, but Medi just went with, as you said, the ones likely to sell well. Same for Pirates of the Caribbean and X-Men 3, they only made Jack Sparrow and Wolverine, which are the 2 most popular characters of their respective series, and then they stopped, and we already know Hot Toys is pouring more into the Pirates license than just Jack Sparrow.

If they worked at bringing their prices down, they could afford to do "gamble" pieces and still come out alright in the end, but as pricey as they are, I'm sure many lesser characters would sell poorly.

Summary: Medicom gives the fans what they want.
They are the ideal company if you have limited space or want a small collection. I'm perfectly happy with their announcements as they are all iconic. This years announcements have all been fantastic with Boba, Jango, Sandtrooper, Wicket, Maul and now the 501st. I cant wait for next year.

I do hope we see Sideshow's clone/stormtrooper pretty soon. I've been holding off on getting any Medi Troopers until we see one of Sideshow's offerings, so I can see how compatible they'll be scale-wise.

I'm getting the Medi Jango (and probably the Medi Boba and Maul) though.

I have a feeling Medicom is gonna milk this clone, giving us many variations and cannot wait to see what else comes. I would love some commanders!

Missing the battle damage does bother me and the stripes are there.

cc1_134.jpg

All the markings seem present.

I meant the twin tripes that go down from waist to angle. They seem to be missing or aren't positioned correctly. If they're missing, thats one more trooper for you guys.

Medicom Jedi Luke isn't the only non armoured figure in their line, they've made Wicket and a Medicom Yoda as well. These figures although listed as VCDs are clearly part of the RAH line since they have the same plain black packaging.

However although I'm still excited about this release, I agree Medicom should include more Jedi figures and other characters in their line. However SSC is pretty much the same, they're line at the moment is predominantly made out of human characters from the saga, not much variety there. Medi's choices seem to come from fan favourite figures Vader, Maul, Jango etc. I'm sure when SSC starts making clones they will reuse the same models again and again as well so I don't see how that's a valid complaint, really it's just good business sense.

Overall I'm very pleased with this release, I would like the next one to be a non Trooper figure though.

Back