Statue Sideshow 1987 Predator 1/5 Scale Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just popped by this thread to share a quick unboxing of mine that I got today! Not perfect, but not too bad overall. The exclusive version was the way to go though!

https://youtu.be/Goo1cCEfkG4

Thanks for the video, Emarae. I was very nervous watching you handling it because I thought you were quite "rough" taking it out of the box and putting it together. I'm usually a lot more gentle but you did good in the end... Lol

I love the size of it. I was concerned that it was going to be too small but when you picked up the head I realize that it is just perfect.
I will address the paint job but it looks great.

Say..... Were you on TV recently? I have a feeling I saw you somewhere before.....

Cheers

Bear

Have to say im pretty happy with how it looked in that video. Mine arrives on Thursday i cant wait, its gonna be a predator filled week with Dutch coming Friday!

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the paint job on the head. It is missing that redish, raw sienna look. Check out the orignal maquette:

7143_press03-001.jpg

Now this is way darker....

predatorstatue11.jpg

And this is what we got from the Proto pics:

sideshow_collectibles_predator_statue_exclusive_edition.jpg

I wish they did a better job....

But I think I'm going to have fun painting this baby.....

Cheers

Bear

Last edited:
My box didn't have an EX sticker either, but if you call SS they'll send you one. One other thing I noticed on mine as well as yours is the QC sticker was not on the styrofoam tape. So are these pieces passing QC tests anymore or does SS not care anymore and you just get what you get?

Wow! I didn't know that about calling up SS for the EX sticker! I might just have to do that. Thanks for the tip! And I have no clue about the quality control issues. Seems that that paint job on this could've been a lot better too. Really far off from the prototype pics from what I've seen. Too bad! :mad:

Thanks for the video, Emarae. I was very nervous watching you handling it because I thought you were quite "rough" taking it out of the box and putting it together. I'm usually a lot more gentle but you did good in the end... Lol

I love the size of it. I was concerned that it was going to be too small but when you picked up the head I realize that it is just perfect.
I will address the paint job but it looks great.

Say..... Were you on TV recently? I have a feeling I saw you somewhere before.....

Cheers

Bear

Bear,

I like the size as I'm quickly running out of room for bigger items anyways! As for the TV thing, maybe something on the SyFy Channel? :wink1:

How's the new portfolio comin?
Would love to see your work.

Been busy on other things unfortunately. I have an injured foot which is in a cast which I can't wait to have removed later this week! Finished some comic work last week and have just been busy trying to organize and study for a license exam I have coming up for yet another side gig. Seems like all work and not enough time for play these days! :gah:

Bear,

I like the size as I'm quickly running out of room for bigger items anyways! As for the TV thing, maybe something on the SyFy Channel? :wink1:

YESSSS!!!!

Well, I'm proud of you, man. I know how hard it is to get rid of things you love. I had to do that many times over and my collection is down to about 16 pieces but i love them all.

Great video and I will repaint parts of his head adding the reddish color and making the armor a bit lighter.

Cheers

Bear

YESSSS!!!!

Well, I'm proud of you, man. I know how hard it is to get rid of things you love. I had to do that many times over and my collection is down to about 16 pieces but i love them all.

Great video and I will repaint parts of his head adding the reddish color and making the armor a bit lighter.

Cheers

Bear

Bear,

Yeah, it's never easy! I've been collecting toys all my life, so it's a life long passion of mine which also led to my career in the comic industry and so on. I know my collection has gotten a bit out of hand, so I'm doing my best to sell of portions of it that I'm just not into as much anymore! Everything has it's own charm, but I do need to put some focus into what I will be collecting from here on.
As for the Pred repaint, I'll be looking forward to see what you do! I would love to take a crack at it myself if I had an airbrush. I use pretty much just a brush for my smaller model kits, statue touch ups, and 1/6 figure kit bashing. Maybe one of these days..! Good luck with the repaint, bro! We'll be crossing our fingers for you that it comes out awesome! I'm sure it will! :)

Continued...
predatorstatue9.jpg

predatorstatue11.jpg

My first impressions and initial reaction of this piece is overall I don't like it. I'm not satisfied. There are things I like about it and things I don't like about it. For me to keep a piece I have to like everything about it. There shouldn't be any reason I'd have to be unsatisfied. I'm seriously considering returning it. It will take some heaving convincing not to. I have the Narin Classic Hunter kit being built up and painted by Joe Dunaway right now so hopefully Joe will be done with it in the next 30 days and I'll have it in hand to compare it to this. Sideshow said I have 30 days to decide if I want to return it. We'll see.

Okay so after all the speculation and disappointment I can confirm this piece DOES NOT come with the spine trophy. Too bad. But it doesn't bother me much. For people who like movie accurate etc. I can see and agree this is a problem, but for me personally it's not a big deal. The trophies it does come with are nice and the necklace is actually sculpted on. I will say the thing I love most about this statue is the unmasked sculpt and paint! This may be reason enough for me to hold onto this piece! It's outstanding! One thing I want to mention about the bloody skull accessory is I wish SS would have added more realism to the teeth. It just looks painted over with blood but if they would have made the teeth look like actual pearly whites with blood over it would have added that little detail that could have put this piece over the top. Instead it just looks a bit cheap and lazy.
predatorstatue13.jpg

I want to point out the masked portrait has wires that actually have small holes to put them into. Now it would have made this piece 1000X cooler if the masked portrait had a light up feature. So I like the wire holes, but I wish SS would have added an LED light up feature.
predatorstatue15.jpg

If you'll notice, the QC on paint for the netting isn't very good. This definitely feels like an assembly line piece rather than a piece that is "individually painted and finished, with its own unique quality and detail that is the trademark of a handcrafted Sideshow Collectibles product."
predatorstatue14.jpg

The paint on the thighs feel assembly line quality in person. Hopefully this pic shows what I'm talking about. It doesn't look like the proto pic. The paint is so flat whereas the proto is shinny and glossy with a more wet look to it. Same with the loin cloth area. I realize it's a statue but fabric would have worked better here. Wish this was a PF. Again with the paint. It just looks so dull IMO. I'm being a bit harsh but I don't know if it's worth it for $300.​
predatorstatue16.jpg

And here's another pic of the unmasked portrait and white skull combo with the shoulder cannon since my earlier pic didn't have the shoulder cannon on.
predatorstatue17.jpg

SSC should take some lessons from Gentle Giant Sucker Punch statues on how to paint lines. Those look horrible.

Congrats to the current fellow freaks who have recived their statue and thanks for posting pics..:clap:clap:clap From what I can see I'm quite happy and so far so good on no major QC issues. I'll definately post pics when I get mine with a better opinion on the piece.
My only gripe and disapointment is the lack of the spinal trophy..:(

Thanks for posting pics and video, I too was waiting for something to snap as you assembled your Pred. :slap
The unmasked portrait looks nice to me, was never going to have the detail of the Maquette.
Now the netting worries me. The close up looks bad but it wasn't that noticeable in the video? Is it only bad when you get really close or can you tell from a short distance?
Stance looks a bit awkward but not the worst.
Bloody skull doesn't look the best, might display mine with unmasked portrait and clean skull.
Really looking forward to getting mine, will take a bit longer being in the U.K, fingers crossed on the netting.
Pity about the spine trophy, makes me wonder why the long delay? Thought they were adding it.
Again thanks for the effort.
Anyone decided to return or is it a grower?

If Gentle Giant can paint perfect lines on the stockings of Amber, why couldn't this also? That is also $75 cheaper then the Predator. Ambers line are also more finer then the Pred. Glad I passed on this.

2la57ja.jpg
am12
zxtkcj.jpg
am13
245dj6u.jpg
am14
15oymtk.jpg
am15
mtl2d3.jpg
am16

Last edited:
This piece looks. . . underwhelming to me. I dont kno, it just doesnt seem to pop like they way it should. :dunno Oh well, at least Dutch turned out great! :D

Thanks for the pics. It's about what I expected. Let's face it, Spidey was $100 more and they couldn't do proper lines on that one.

After seeing those pics, I'm very dissapointed in the final product. The only thing that looks good is the box.

This is just my opinion. Please don't take it personally. And congrats to all who got one and like it. :)

Back