Statue Sideshow 1987 Predator 1/5 Scale Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continued...
predatorstatue9.jpg

predatorstatue11.jpg

My first impressions and initial reaction of this piece is overall I don't like it. I'm not satisfied. There are things I like about it and things I don't like about it. For me to keep a piece I have to like everything about it. There shouldn't be any reason I'd have to be unsatisfied. I'm seriously considering returning it. It will take some heaving convincing not to. I have the Narin Classic Hunter kit being built up and painted by Joe Dunaway right now so hopefully Joe will be done with it in the next 30 days and I'll have it in hand to compare it to this. Sideshow said I have 30 days to decide if I want to return it. We'll see.

Okay so after all the speculation and disappointment I can confirm this piece DOES NOT come with the spine trophy. Too bad. But it doesn't bother me much. For people who like movie accurate etc. I can see and agree this is a problem, but for me personally it's not a big deal. The trophies it does come with are nice and the necklace is actually sculpted on. I will say the thing I love most about this statue is the unmasked sculpt and paint! This may be reason enough for me to hold onto this piece! It's outstanding! One thing I want to mention about the bloody skull accessory is I wish SS would have added more realism to the teeth. It just looks painted over with blood but if they would have made the teeth look like actual pearly whites with blood over it would have added that little detail that could have put this piece over the top. Instead it just looks a bit cheap and lazy.
predatorstatue13.jpg

I want to point out the masked portrait has wires that actually have small holes to put them into. Now it would have made this piece 1000X cooler if the masked portrait had a light up feature. So I like the wire holes, but I wish SS would have added an LED light up feature.
predatorstatue15.jpg

If you'll notice, the QC on paint for the netting isn't very good. This definitely feels like an assembly line piece rather than a piece that is "individually painted and finished, with its own unique quality and detail that is the trademark of a handcrafted Sideshow Collectibles product."
predatorstatue14.jpg

The paint on the thighs feel assembly line quality in person. Hopefully this pic shows what I'm talking about. It doesn't look like the proto pic. The paint is so flat whereas the proto is shinny and glossy with a more wet look to it. Same with the loin cloth area. I realize it's a statue but fabric would have worked better here. Wish this was a PF. Again with the paint. It just looks so dull IMO. I'm being a bit harsh but I don't know if it's worth it for $300.​
predatorstatue16.jpg

And here's another pic of the unmasked portrait and white skull combo with the shoulder cannon since my earlier pic didn't have the shoulder cannon on.
predatorstatue17.jpg

Last edited:
Also the masked portrait and the armor seem too dark of a grey color. The mask looks really flat IMO. I think it should be more silver or at least IMO it would look better that way...

Looks like the very best Kenner produce.
Bummed for you. Sorry
Thank you for the pics

Not liking it based on your photos. Too late to cancel mine so unless my opinion changes having it in hand I will be returning this and probably cancelling the rest of the line.

As long as you like it all that matters.hope I did not come off too negative.
Again thank you for pics

As long as you like it all that matters.hope I did not come off too negative.
Again thank you for pics

Nah man it's cool. Just saying it is growing on me a bit. It's cool to finally have it. It's refreshing to get a new SS piece let alone a new Pred! I respect your opinion. No prob on the pics. I'll probably end up posting more. Different angles on this guy look pretty cool.

Last edited:
Also the masked portrait and the armor seem too dark of a grey color. The mask looks really flat IMO. I think it should be more silver or at least IMO it would look better that way...

Let me ask you this.....

I paint model kits and statues and I can fix some of the problems you mentioned like the netting, the mask adding more shades of silver and the cloth. If the paint job was better, would this be worth keeping?

How are the proportions? It looks a bit skinny but not too bad. Would you mind taking a photo close to a couple of PFs?

Thanks

Bear

Going by both the pictures of this 1/5 scale Classic Predator from Sideshow's website and the ones just posted, I really am not liking this particular Predator sculpt. It is not only the fact that the armor and mask are too dark...just the whole piece in general looks like it was thrown together real quick almost as if the artists got lazy on this one.

I am glad I passed on this one but did Pre-Order both the Bad Blood and the 1/5 scale Predator Wolf Ex. and judging by the pictures from those on Sideshow's website...both look far better better than this. This just looks like a boring bland Predator not much else to say.

If you like it then I am happy for you and would not let anyone persuade you to return this if it is growing on you...I am sure there are a number of members here that can probably touch this sculpt up with paint and have it looking much better. If I owned this and could not return it I would definately look into getting this touched up.
I just hope the two I have on Pre-Order come out better than this one. Thanks for the pictures. :)

Last edited:
Let me ask you this.....

I paint model kits and statues and I can fix some of the problems you mentioned like the netting, the mask adding more shades of silver and the cloth. If the paint job was better, would this be worth keeping?

how are the proportions. It looks a bit skinny but not too bad. Would you mind taking a photo close to a couple of PFs?

Thanks

Bear

I think it would be worth keeping if you we're to dress it up with better paint apps etc. Sorry I don't have any PFs to compare it to, but tomorrow I'll post a pic of this compared to the Big Chap and Resurrection Warrior statues.

I think it would be worth keeping if you we're to dress it up with better paint apps etc. Sorry I don't have any PFs to compare it to, but tomorrow I'll post a pic of this compared to the Big Chap and Resurrection Warrior statues.

Okay..Thanks

You can also try a comiquette or maquette....

Going by both the pictures of this 1/5 scale Classic Predator from Sideshow's website and the ones just posted, I really am not liking this particular Predator sculpt. It is not only the fact that the armor and mask are too dark...just the whole piece in general looks like it was thrown together real quick almost as if the artists got lazy on this one.

)

It is easy to fix the darkness of the armor by just drybrushing a lighter silver.

I know we should be doing that for a $300 statue but if I like that much and I do address the paint job, might just be a great looking display piece....

Cheers

Bear

everything for the masked version ( i only like preds with mask on ) looks excellent except the netting on the chest which looks horrible, hopefully mine will be painted better.

overall I think it's a winner, thanks for the photos

It is easy to fix the darkness of the armor by just drybrushing a lighter silver.

I know we should be doing that for a $300 statue but if I like that much and I do address the paint job, might just be a great looking display piece....

Cheers

Bear

I couldn't agree more. :cool:
Thinking about it when it comes down to it it is the details from the paint work that really brings a sculpt to life. Yes sounds very "cliche" but it is true. I believe this particular Predator sculpt could look amazing with a proper treatment of a touch up in paint...and it probably would not even take too much to turn this sculpt into something magnificent.

I couldn't agree more. :cool:
Thinking about it when it comes down to it it is the details from the paint work that really brings a sculpt to life. Yes sounds very "cliche" but it is true. I believe this particular Predator sculpt could look amazing with a proper treatment of a touch up in paint...and it probably would not even take too much to turn this sculpt into something magnificant.

Unfortunately mine doesn't arrive until December but hopefully someone else will take a go and fix some of the paint problems....

I also have the Elder on order and I think that one is going to look amazing...

Cheers

Bear

Just popped by this thread to share a quick unboxing of my 1/5 scale Predator Exclusive Statue that I got today! Not perfect, but not too bad overall. The exclusive version was the way to go though!

[ame]https://youtu.be/Goo1cCEfkG4[/ame]

Last edited:
Just popped by this thread to share a quick unboxing of mine that I got today! Not perfect, but not too bad overall. The exclusive version was the way to go though!

My box didn't have an EX sticker either, but if you call SS they'll send you one. One other thing I noticed on mine as well as yours is the QC sticker was not on the styrofoam tape. So are these pieces passing QC tests anymore or does SS not care anymore and you just get what you get?

Back