Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen plenty over the past few years, just for stupid money. ;) Leia on the other hand has been extremely rare with a proper hairdo.

I always see them on eBay and other sites, but my rule of thumb with vintage is that I have to either come across it in a store or market. Makes the hunt for more fun for me in a world where everything is online. I got a super white R2 and Stormtrooper last christmas, I was really pumped. The old kenner 12" figures have a lot of charm for me. Leia is definitely a hard one, for now I am sticking to kenner robots and masked characters. One day I may for for the humans, but we shall see haha.

29d484f82b9dfba528cf3d6e0b2b0c64.jpg

Love that shot!

Thank you so much for this bit of information on the light switch, one of my few gripes with this figure was the fact you had to keep removing the head to activate the lights or turn them off and for the price I thought they should have put a button on the outside like with the probe droid....I am very pleased now that i know about the touch panel switch....i would never have figured it out without seeing your post...so many thanks.

Touch this panel to turn on/off the lights. (Details under pic)

View attachment 164427

Step 1: on/off switch under the dome.

Step 2: Locate large blue panel on R2's dome right side (left side when facing R2).

Step 3: one touch on panel to switch lights on.

Step 4: one more touch on panel to switch projector on.

Step 5: one more touch on panel to turn everything off.

Hey guys.
I am not normally watching the SW threads. I was going to buy this as a gift for a friend. How long has the EX been on waitlist?
If it's been on waitlist for a while, i will just order the normal version.

Most pleasant surprise in a purchase in awhile. This little droid is a hell of fun. Initially, I thought the light-up feature was being temperamental, then I found that side button. The compartment doors opening so easily is a little annoying, but can live with it. The third leg is a little touchy; kind of falls down on its own at times. Aside from that I'm glad I bought him. Now, I need 3PO. Oh, and for once I wish this guy had a sound feature.

OK. R2 is on the shelf in the Star Wars Detolf. Now focus moves to Stormies, Hoth, and Han and Chewie.

Hey guys.
I am not normally watching the SW threads. I was going to buy this as a gift for a friend. How long has the EX been on waitlist?
If it's been on waitlist for a while, i will just order the normal version.

The exclusive is not worth it if you ask me. I got the EX at full price but if I had to do it over I'd opt for the regular with a coupon. He already comes with three arms (one for each panel).

I've been letting this play while R2's lights blink away. Star Wars - R2D2 sounds - YouTube

I really would have liked sounds on this but I'm wondering how it would really have worked? You would need a button somewhere to cycle through the sounds -- so how many different sound? Then its likely people would complain that they didn't get the sound they wanted. Also it would be a pain to keep tapping R2 for a few beeps. Or if the sounds just went on and on then the batteries would die after a few hours play. I'm sure some of these dilemmas were part of Sideshow's decision not to implement sound.

Yeah, it's not that realistic for it to be done really well. The probe droid has sound but it's one 2-second clip and then it stops. R2 makes a ton of different sounds so you would probably want some sort of soundboard to pick the specific sounds you want and then also have an option of playing all the different sounds in a row/loop. Someone needs to make an app that has all the different sounds from that YouTube clip--in that clip they all play almost without pause so it sounds like R2 is going crazy.

I know they are not the same scale but this little guy is too fun not to take pictures of so here are a couple more....

IMG_20150207_122633342.jpg

IMG_20150207_122916090.jpg

Just got an e-mail from SSC that they have "booked" a replacement dome for me. With the smattering of people who have reported that they have gotten their Life Scanner to stay up, I figured I should have a working dome as well.

So, cheers to SSC CS for working on a Saturday. The fun part will be smashing the old one. :devil

How does everyone get their scanner to hold position now? I've got to try that instructional video tip.

Can't speak for everyone else, but I just pulled the scanner out as far as it wanted to go, gently turned it until it felt like it stuck in place and that was it.

I just got the same email, I wonder if they care if I keep the electronics in working order

Just got an e-mail from SSC that they have "booked" a replacement dome for me. With the smattering of people who have reported that they have gotten their Life Scanner to stay up, I figured I should have a working dome as well.

So, cheers to SSC CS for working on a Saturday. The fun part will be smashing the old one. :devil

I hope to hear the same thing! Time will tell, I never got confirmation of my support request.

Back