Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've hear people talking about pulling the scanner out? I just press down and it's spring loaded. It doesn't pop all the way out but enough to get my fingers on it. Then I just pull it up and it stays in place. Anyway, my R2 has dings and gouges all around the dome. I sent Sideshow an email. I guess this will be my first experience and destroying something. This will be fun.

I just hope that my replacement dome,when ever the process begins to get one, isn't worse then the one I have now.
My domes paint and little hatches work fine,it's the projector that doesn't work for me.
I just hope the replacement dome has no paint issues.

I had a place where the weathering was a bit smudged on my dome, but after hitting it with a sponge and 91% alcohol it's not a problem. I took a fair amount of grime off the dome and IMHO it's a bit more screen accurate now.

I don't know about anyone else, nor what comments will follow, but DAMN! That looks awesome. Bar none, the best looking example of this figure I have seen so far. By a mile.

I gotta say R2 looks great with the factory weathering taken off! Great job King and Lopie!

I'm not sure I'll grow a pair big enough to do it, but kudos to you guys!

There really is nothing to it. I did it on my BD Terminator and that was his face. With R2, at least if you're nervous you could try the bottom of his "feet". It's super easy. :)

I had a place where the weathering was a bit smudged on my dome, but after hitting it with a sponge and 91% alcohol it's not a problem. I took a fair amount of grime off the dome and IMHO it's a bit more screen accurate now.

4HxpItLh.jpg

Wow. Now that looks great! Easily the best so far. All you did was blot over it with the alcohol sponge??

I really like the inconsistency of the weathering, really looks more natural. Is that just from smearing it with the sponge, or did you plan out how you wiped it away?

There really is nothing to it. I did it on my BD Terminator and that was his face. With R2, at least if you're nervous you could try the bottom of his "feet". It's super easy. :)

Wow. Now that looks great! Easily the best so far. All you did was blot over it with the alcohol sponge??

Yeah, I'm still not clear on why the blotting takes off the weathering paint but not the silver or blue. It's the same paint type isn't it?

Wish I would have waited to split wood til next week.........could have used that 30 ton wood splitter to crush his wee little robot skull........:)

go to the ssc website and scroll down to the returns link. Its easy. Follow the steps which includes your original order number, a description of whats wrong, and if applicable a picture of damage (your issue probably no picture required), then hit submit. Ssc will email within 2 days with what to do.
they send you a replacement, then you have 5 days to destroy it and send pics of said destruction. Be sure not to miss the deadline or you could be charged for your replacement.

Hey thanks for the help.
I filled out the form and asked for a dome.
I took a picture of it...not sure that will help.
I just hope the replacement dome doesn't have paint issues or hatch issues.

Also rep sent to barry!

To save me reading the entire thread - can someone please give me a summary of how QC has turned out (on average) with this piece

Most of the panel doors are loose and there's been about 7 or 8 people (maybe more, just trying not to hype up) reporting that their Life Scanner doesn't stay up.

But as far as him just standing there and looking cool, it's great.

4HxpItLh.jpg

Wow, awesome job and pic! The weathering and dirtied up dome look far more screen accurate now. :clap

Yeah, I'm still not clear on why the blotting takes off the weathering paint but not the silver or blue. It's the same paint type isn't it?

The factory likely sealed the silver and blue before adding the weathering. The silver and blue are straight paint. The weathering is heavily diluted paint, so the alcohol is just strong enough to remove the diluted paint but not strong enough to remove the sealant and get to the silver and blue.

Look below

The factory likely sealed the silver and blue before adding the weathering. The silver and blue are straight paint. The weathering is heavily diluted paint, so the alcohol is just strong enough to remove the diluted paint but not strong enough to remove the sealant and get to the silver and blue.

I'm assuming this is the correct answer. The gloopy blood paint on my Terminator came right off leaving the silver Endo color below. This is actually an old trick, but peoples minds are blown right now. :lol

On the dome, yes. I wanted to leave ~ 1/2 the grime in place. I dabbed away the grime from the "bare-metal" area only.

The body I used a q-tip and left the grime in the corners and recesses. I may go back in with a wash and add a bit.

Also I'm going to get rid of that silver bit on the main eye.

A great hack for this figure - to anyone who understands timing circuits - would be to adjust LED color transitions to be a be slower.

Got mine in today--some thoughts on this figure:

First my gripes:

No exclusive sticker on my box- minor yes but I will call ss for replacement.

Yup he is light, and very fragile, thankfully I have followed this thread and am cautions when inspecting and posing my figures.

Now the good:

All accessories accounted for. Paint perfectly weathered for my tastes-no stray mark, paint slop etc.

The magnetic lightsabre is there folks--USE IT. I opens are the body compartments with ease

The head was easy to remove and reattach. The light feature is well executed. I didn't realize that the lights on the back of the head light up! Damn brilliant job sideshow!

The compartments on his head take time and care to figure out, the antenae array doesn't stay up but a small glob of blue tack will solve this.
Overall this is an A+ from Sideshow- and on of my favorite characters realized in 1:6 scale.

Mine was missing the exclusive sticker too

Back