Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Artoo dirty.

Watching ROTJ the other day his level of grime there seemed about the same as Sideshow's.

r2tray.jpg

Maybe I'll do it when the Regular arrives.

Does anyone else's R2 have a scratch on the dome?

Guess I have the only scratched up R2... The abused one of the bunch.

Last edited:
Raiders: Is your drink tray stable? Do the different levels of it keep breaking into chunks? I can't figure out if mine is defective or if they're all like that.

Yeah, my drink tray is fine. Being made of that 'bendy' type plastic, maybe yours has some material breaking down issue. Contact sideshow,show them pics of the problem and hopefully they will send you a replacement. Good luck

I don't see the doors as being a problem unless you are, gasp, playing with it. In upright or reclined position, the doors stay closed.

This may be true, but one or two doors on mine are looser than the rest and seem to have a mind of their own. I keep thinking that by firming up the door hinges, it may also cut down on some of the rattling the figure makes whenever it's handled.

Thanks for the tips, Anthrapoid, Mfoga, Lejuan and Lopie. I'm alright with the amount of weathering on the figure, but I would like to make the dome shinier. I may try using Elmer's Glue on the hinges but I'll definitely stay away from the nail polish.

Really impressed with this figure....

(knock on wood) Don't have some of the issues folks are reporting here. Doors/panels seem fine, lights work well, stays upright as it should. The seams on the dome aren't bad...it looks like some effort was made to buff down the flash on them before the finish was applied. I don't mind the added layer of "dirt" - the only time it looks a little overboard to me is in highly magnified/close-up photos...on display it looks good.

I like what Wor-Gar mentioned about the"ertl" model vibe it has going on...I agree...that's not a bad thing. Part of the fun in picking up a "new" version of an old favorite is that "nostalgia" that can kick in....and this figure fires that kick in a great way. And yes, the figure is light, but not as light as I was expecting...from some of the descriptions being offered in here, I was expecting egg-shell thin and was almost afraid to pull it out of the tray, but as long as one uses care in handling it, it should be fine.

The detail is just amazing. I love the lights...work really well. And it's fantastic to have all of the display options provided with the arms/tray. Really something. The only thing missing are the rockets in the legs...maybe next version, eh?

R2 is another great entry in Sideshow's droid workshop....it was worth the long wait....now the wait continues for Threepio.

All the info on working R2 these past few days was really helpful (opening the dome, getting the periscope and life scanner to click into place) I was able to get everything working the way it's supposed to with no problems.
Lights didn't work for me at first. After removing the battery tab and switching to "on" I still had to open up the battery compartment and remove the batteries and reinsert them (possible they were in backward), and then the lights worked.

M
Really impressed with this figure....

(knock on wood) Don't have some of the issues folks are reporting here. Doors/panels seem fine, lights work well, stays upright as it should. The seams on the dome aren't bad...it looks like some effort was made to buff down the flash on them before the finish was applied. I don't mind the added layer of "dirt" - the only time it looks a little overboard to me is in highly magnified/close-up photos...on display it looks good.

I like what Wor-Gar mentioned about the"ertl" model vibe it has going on...I agree...that's not a bad thing. Part of the fun in picking up a "new" version of an old favorite is that "nostalgia" that can kick in....and this figure fires that kick in a great way. And yes, the figure is light, but not as light as I was expecting...from some of the descriptions being offered in here, I was expecting egg-shell thin and was almost afraid to pull it out of the tray, but as long as one uses care in handling it, it should be fine.

The detail is just amazing. I love the lights...work really well. And it's fantastic to have all of the display options provided with the arms/tray. Really something. The only thing missing are the rockets in the legs...maybe next version, eh?

R2 is another great entry in Sideshow's droid workshop....it was worth the long wait....now the wait continues for Threepio.

Gotta agree with you, aside from him being a bit more robust or a smudge taller I don't think he could reasonably be improved upon. And I really feel like I got my money's worth out of him.

I have some bad QC issues on mine. One of my camera eye things is painted in. The luke saber is completely botched, it seems to have glue or something stuck to it and is missing paint in sections. The compartment for the lightsaber also is unable to open. The figure looks nice but it has some flaws. I also do not like how the doors just flap around when the figure is moved. For the life of me I am also not able to remove the dome.

comp.jpg

For the life of me I am also not able to remove the dome.
Only the very top part of the dome comes out (not the blue and silver rings), so hold those blue/silver sections in place and rotate dome counterclockwise until it stops, then pull up and may require some jiggling at the same time.

Sorry to hear about those issues there, jra81984...send those pics to Sideshow and they should be able to help....

Just did! I will see once I hear, probably during the week. These things aside it looks like a really nice figure. Here are some comparison shots with the Kenner 1978 R2, Hasbro R2D2 and Sideshow. Also a shot of this vs. the taito clock.

IMG_7607.JPG
IMG_7605.JPG
IMG_7608.JPG

Love all the pics everyone's posting, and the comparisons are really great. This has to be one of the most photographed figures yet (until everyone's got the HT troopers I imagine lol)

Here's my little guy chillin with my other SSC droids at the moment (won't be the permanent display, just havin fun)

29d484f82b9dfba528cf3d6e0b2b0c64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta get my hands on one of those Kenner R2s - along with Leia, it's the only other Kenner figure I'm missing from my display.

Back