Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back in town and finally got to open and inspect R2. The back projector was loose inside the dome when I opened it up(like Waller's and Barryo's). I was able to fish it out and put in place. It was kind of a pain, but I didn't want to send it back. The legs are kinda loose on mine, I have to tilt him forward a bit to get him to stand when the drinking tray is in place. Everything else is pretty nice.

I havent seen too many pictures of him with the tray on, here are a few...

View attachment 164346

View attachment 164347

When I opened mine, the top/rear projector had also come loose and was in the dome. I can get ahold of it and pull it through the hole from the outside but I am unable to get it to stay stuck. It just falls back in. Did you glue yours? Does it hold in with tension? I really don't want to go through all the effort of returning and exchanging it. Any help is appreciated!

You can fix that!

163DAA35-68D9-4CDF-A51C-E03A97CA3539.jpg

6539245D-B858-4880-A95E-5BDEE2DE7931.jpg

AF2578D5-E512-453D-841C-B184BF9C0CF9.jpg

150D87CF-7644-4757-B17D-CD7E4B9C5054.jpg

I have he same issue with mine (top projector loose in the dome). I took the Bree screws out of the bottom of the dome but wasn't sure how to get the entire bottom-plate out to get up inside the dome. How did you do it? Was it glued? And to get the projector gasket stuck back in the dome did you have to glue it? Just held in there with tension? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Despite the fragility and need for waif-like fingers, I'm really enjoying this figure. He's such an iconic character and I thought we'd NEVER get him from Sideshow!

cd2071fd0a5d9f0e70ba4c6282d6b039_zps5577b17a.jpg

Last edited:
Man, this thread is on fire! Great pics, everyone!

Got the little astromech today and....wow! Simply over the moon with this one....

Just a quick shot for now....

...but I'm looking forward to adding some more over the weekend and my two cents on this great figure. Fantastic job, Sideshow...simply fantastic!

Really is on fire. I think nearly everyone on the board has chimed in in the last three days with pictures. It's like the good ol' days.

Speaking of ol' times, JB, where are some snow shots?

Really is on fire. I think nearly everyone on the board has chimed in in the last three days with pictures. It's like the good ol' days.

Speaking of ol' times, JB, where are some snow shots?
For that we need kitchen pictures, doily pictures and swing pictures.

Since most of our complaints here have centered mostly on how loose the hinges of the door compartments are, I'm wondering if this could be easily fixed by removing all the doors, adding a tiny drop of thin rubber cement or nail polish to each hinge and letting it dry before replacing them.

I don't really have any model-making or figure-customizing experience, so perhaps someone with know-how in this particular area of expertise could chime in? I'm still trying to muster the guts to polish up Artoo's dome with that rubbing alcohol.

Since most of our complaints here have centered mostly on how loose the hinges of the door compartments are, I'm wondering if this could be easily fixed by removing all the doors, adding a tiny drop of thin rubber cement or nail polish to each hinge and letting it dry before replacing them.

I don't really have any model-making or figure-customizing experience, so perhaps someone with know-how in this particular area of expertise could chime in? I'm still trying to muster the guts to polish up Artoo's dome with that rubbing alcohol.
I would use museum wax or quake hold in a spot you cant see. It won't be permanent and won't do any damage.

NO NAIL POLISH! That can eat into the plastic of the delicate hinge pins, or melt them entirely over time.

I'm thinking regular Elmer's white glue might be perfect. It won't have any effect on the plastic at all. If you use a toothpick or a needle to apply a tiny amount inside the hinges, it will fill in the extra space that makes the doors loose. Throughout the drying time, open and close the hatch every four or five minutes. When it gets close to being fully dry, the glue assumes the properties of flexible vinyl, so you'll know it's getting close. That's the time when you'll want to close the door and position it correctly so it's flush with its frame, then leave it alone for an hour or so. Elmer's Glue dries clear, so no problem there. After it's completely dry, you can use a fine hobby knife to cut off any extra bits that might be visible to the eye.

The weathering is all over, including the undersides of the feet. Grab some alcohol and a make-up pad or q-tip and test it out. It'll give you an immediate indication of what the job entails and what the result will be. Thanks to Lopie for this tip, and for King's comprehensive pics I have the R2 I wanted in the first place :hi5:

I don't see the doors as being a problem unless you are, gasp, playing with it. In upright or reclined position, the doors stay closed.

It's R2. You either leave him alone, roll him forward or backwards. Unless you are reinacting his ninja performance in ROTS. :dunno

I don't see the doors as being a problem unless you are, gasp, playing with it. In upright or reclined position, the doors stay closed.

It's R2. You either leave him alone, roll him forward or backwards. Unless you are reinacting his ninja performance in ROTS. :dunno

This is true. The doors don't open by themselves unless you tilt him forwards.

In other news, I finally got my life form scanner to stay up. Artoo is now sporting a proud and unassisted erection! I don't know exactly what I did, but I found a sweet spot while playing with his dome.

Everything seems to function as it should. I daren't push the saber in his hole because the opening seems quite tight. :monkey1

Artoo isn't as fragile as I feared. You just have to treat him with a bit of respect.

As Wor-Gar wrote, there's so much nostalgia with this figure. To me he just looks so right. :rock

Back