Sideshow 1:6 Lando as Skiff Guard Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving stuff around the shelves and decided to snap a new shot of Lando.

SKIFF GUARD LANDO 022.jpg

Just ordered the last one at big chief studios while they had a little discount going.
Something about this look is just so sci-fi and should really stand out in my collection. He’s like a futuristic barbarian!

Put this fig on a new body - less bulky and lighter skintone - and popped on the older Bespin Sideshow Lando head. It may have all the sculpt detail of a Hasbro 6" head (and maybe paint apps to match) but I think has a bit better likeness than the new SSC Lando Skiff head that came with this figure, and a better skintone.

Also made a new cumberbund/loin cloth out of real leather. Still planning to repaint the eyes and mouth on this older head (the pupils are too small.)

That's my custom Lando skiff in the background - I really need to take a pic of all three of my Lando skiffs (I have two of the Sideshow figure, the other one is basically stock.)

51571876381_2b8d975b73_o.png

While Talibane's work is really great (that body swap really works well), I'm still enjoying this figure "as is". While the ESB Lando is the more recognizable one, I've always enjoyed this version more...

View attachment 541286

View attachment 541287

I would be interested in seeing the three versions Talibane has lined up in a shot....
I don't really understand how you do these pics JB (you seem to be able to find settings where the surroundings are perfectly "in scale" :dunno) but lovin it as usual. These types of images would be an awesome coffee table book.

And yeah I'll pull together my Lando gang for a pic.

Put this fig on a new body - less bulky and lighter skintone - and popped on the older Bespin Sideshow Lando head. It may have all the sculpt detail of a Hasbro 6" head (and maybe paint apps to match) but I think has a bit better likeness than the new SSC Lando Skiff head that came with this figure, and a better skintone.

Also made a new cumberbund/loin cloth out of real leather. Still planning to repaint the eyes and mouth on this older head (the pupils are too small.)

That's my custom Lando skiff in the background - I really need to take a pic of all three of my Lando skiffs (I have two of the Sideshow figure, the other one is basically stock.)

51571876381_2b8d975b73_o.png
talibane, which body are you using? I wan to use the old lando head to upgrade my esb figure but want to find a body with a matching skin tone.

talibane, which body are you using? I wan to use the old lando head to upgrade my esb figure but want to find a body with a matching skin tone.
What are you trying to do - simply port your whole SSC ESB Lando onto a newer body?

On mine I ended up having to paint the neck to match as the SSC Lando head is a quite specific color and the bodies/necks were either too dark or light.

What you could think about doing is taking just the neck joint off the SSC body and do two things: give a VERY light/distant spray of Tamiya red-brown (that will give it a bit of the "Hot Toys skin speckle" to increase realism) then put on a couple of coats of matte clear (that will make it look a bit more like real skin.) It should still be a good match to the SSC Lando head, just a bit more realistic-skin looking.

Then use that SSC neck joint on a new body - just find a body that has the right sized lower neck ball. The SSC necks are a somewhat simplistic sculpt but with a collar you don't see that much. Skiff Lando on the other hand has no collar so the neck is very visible.

Here's the "you look absolutely beautiful.... no - YOU look absolutely beautiful" pairing (yes, I do have three Lando Skiff figures - two SSC, one stock, one with old SSC head, the third a custom figure made before the SSC figure):

CCPCsi9.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking about porting my old sideshow figure to a new body. That is very helpful about painting the old sideshow neck. My concern though is that I recall the esb sideshow neck being thin compared to necks on modern bodies, making the larger Lando head look more like a bobble head.

looking at your picture of the hot toys and the sideshow landos next to each other, I am actually thinking I just need to bite the bullet and get the Hot Toys one. It looks so much more lifelike. Perhaps I will see if I can find the Hot Toys body and head and use the sideshow outfit. I considered the skiff guard Lando head but not sure I would be satisfied with the likeness. How does the outfit on the old sideshow figure compare to the new hot toys one? If there is one element of the hot toys outfit that’s better, I can always pick that up off of toyanxiety or ebay. Is there any aspect of the Hot Toys one that’s worth springing for?

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking about porting my old sideshow figure to a new body. That is very helpful about painting the old sideshow neck. My concern though is that I recall the esb sideshow neck being thin compared to necks on modern bodies, making the larger Lando head look more like a bobble head.

looking at your picture of the hot toys and the sideshow landos next to each other, I am actually thinking I just need to bite the bullet and get the Hot Toys one. It looks so much more lifelike. Perhaps I will see if I can find the Hot Toys body and head and use the sideshow outfit. I considered the skiff guard Lando head but not sure I would be satisfied with the likeness. How does the outfit on the old sideshow figure compare to the new hot toys one? If there is one element of the hot toys outfit that’s better, I can always pick that up off of toyanxiety or ebay. Is there any aspect of the Hot Toys one that’s worth springing for?
I bought some HT Lando parts to upgrade my Sideshow Bespin Lando, though I'm sort of still mulling what to do . I want a Lando with cape, a "battle Lando" with no cape, and a Chewy-choking Lando (for my Chewy with 3PO backpack) - which parts I use for what version I'm not sure on yet.. The two HT parts that are clearly better than SSC are the head and the shirt (which is what I bought.) The HT belt is perhaps better, but not all that noticeable, and people seem to prefer the SSC pants and boots. Cape maybe 50/50 - the HT is better (cut/sew way better than the SSC) but it has significant issues in posing.

That being said re the head, I'd argue this is another case of HT realism being stellar but SSC's core likeness being better. The SSC Bespin Lando head is a little oversized, lacks today's level of finer sculpt detail and has very mediocre paint (with the eyes being a particular problem, one part I still plan to repaint) yet I think its underlying likeness to ESB Lando is better than the HT. The HT has unbelievable realism, and certainly has a few nice likeness angles but overall in terms of pure likeness (sculpt/paint realism aside) I'd say the SSC head is 9/10 and the HT a 7.5/10.

I'd call the SSC Skiff Lando unhelmeted head quite poorly done. The skintone is too dark, the forehead elongated and the likeness a bit cartoony. It's also a little undersized like many more modern SSC heads (ironic given the older SSC heads went from oversized to very oversized.)

Now back to Lando skiff - here's 3 of my 4 (the fourth is sandstorm Lando, which I'm still waiting on parts for) - on left is SSC parts on custom body with old SSC head and a few custom upgrades (real leather loincloth/cumberbund) middle is stock SSC figure, on right is pre-SSC fully custom figure with real leather boots (non-removable helmet.)

78DMcdN.jpg

Last edited:
Finally found a Lando head for a decent price. Looks pretty good.

Attachments

• 077B8545-EB7E-41AE-9EFB-9B1395682969.jpeg
    077B8545-EB7E-41AE-9EFB-9B1395682969.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • 90ACCFF0-E87E-48F5-BC14-ABDF53916F4A.jpeg
    90ACCFF0-E87E-48F5-BC14-ABDF53916F4A.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 0
  • EC19713F-6054-42B3-B0E2-0487ED961DD3.jpeg
    EC19713F-6054-42B3-B0E2-0487ED961DD3.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 0
Back