Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got mine today and really like it. just one question how do you remove the batteries from the head. i always remove them to save them from leaking. any ideas i tried but dont want to break anything.

Everyone's pictures look amazing. Great result in this figure. But every time I see his head and mouth I think of this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452733828.284786.jpg
Is that bad?

Well, my Threepio arrived and I've had some time with him and I have to say that I am really excited by this figure!

The gold paint is mesmerizing. I can't believe how much sheen they got out of this paint. I imagine this must be where a majority of the COST came into play. In fact, I wish they had used this silver paint (on the right leg) for R2's dome.

This thing looks like real metal!

First, no broken pistons, no scratches or things like that -- so good for me. I do have some 'flashing' on the knees -- which is my biggest gripe -- and that will require some extra "grime" to hide it. Some of the "oil" weathering is better placed (like the drips) than others (every crease seems to be penciled in)... but we knew that.

Again, the overall paint is so great, it really doesn't bother me.

Another thing I like, is that the sharp "spikes" on the forehead and outside both knees is a soft vinyl so they won't snap off. Brilliant idea!

The light up eyes work beautifully -- my head popped out easily, no issues.

The pistons work fine in their slides -- just be gentle. Threepio likes it gentle.

He has more articulation that I was expecting.

He is also HEAVIER than I was expecting. He's not loose and jingly or flimsy -- he's definitely lighter than the "metal" paint would lead you to believe but he's far weightier than R2. He weights about what Hasbro's Threepio weighs. He's light but not in a ridiculous way.

Overall -- this is my new favorite figure! I am truly thrilled by what Sideshow has done here... honestly. This is a great way to go out!

View attachment 236952

Good review, most of my thoughts echo Wor-gars. I was really concerned that the paint would make the joints roo stiff to move, much like the old kenner figures when the origional 3po came our, and you'd have to push them to move the arms, but no issues. I was worried he'd be like IG88, and I'd have a heck of a time moving the arms. ( I never have gotten IG's left shoulder to rotate, but I don't pose him much. ) It took a bit to get the arms to bend, but as others have said, be gentle and they move fine.

Over all, very impressed with the figure, wish they put more effort into the base. That's really the place this figure fails for me, the pictures on the sand bases look great, and I may have to try and get a hold of a few of those. Considering the bases that come with the the hoth figures, or the scout trooper, I think SC could have hit this one out of the park with just that little more effort into the display accessories.

Unfortunately, mine is back in the box now, need to re arrange my cabinets a bit, but way to much going on right now to get to it.

Pic of both Sideshow and Tamashi. They are both fantastic! Sideshow is 1-2mm taller.

Bizarre, seeing them side by side there are pro's and con's to both, but personally, I prefer the SSC (except the damn thumbs!!!)

The big one for me is the "tear-drop" shape around his eyes. So many iterations get this wrong and do the rounded bottom (like the Tama above) that once someone points it out, it's hard to look at it the same way again.

They did the round eye bit on my PF's and now it annoys me every time I look at it :(

lamtsunfung's COMPARISON is worth reposting...

lamtsunfung COMPARISON   SS vs Tamashii 1-13-16.jpg

I have to say I am happy I waited it out and took the risk for the Sideshow.

I just think its better proportioned overall. That said, without making this a "this or that" thread, the Tamashii still has its advantages and pros.

Last edited:
Do the batteries really leak? I have them in a few of my figures. Should I take them out?

Because they're small, and you might lose one. :lecture

Got to work early today, and had time to kill. So I did this really quick. :wave

24359631635_4a21c86a3b_k.jpg

Wonderful collection and picture Rook! Isn't Chewie's bag over the wrong shoulder?

It's official. the weathering is removable with isopropyl. I used tiny swabs and just worked on a small area at a time. After I'm finished on an area I wipe with a damp cloth.

Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's enough to show that the drips are gone.

3P0 Weathering-1.jpg

Bizarre, seeing them side by side there are pro's and con's to both, but personally, I prefer the SSC (except the damn thumbs!!!)

The big one for me is the "tear-drop" shape around his eyes. So many iterations get this wrong and do the rounded bottom (like the Tama above) that once someone points it out, it's hard to look at it the same way again.

They did the round eye bit on my PF's and now it annoys me every time I look at it :(

That's a weird detail to pick out because most of the time onscreen it's really not visible - it seems to fade out below the eye. Maybe under harsh overhead lighting it becomes clearer. And the PF has a whole host of headsculpt issues - it's a somewhat wonky sculpt.

As a more apples-to-apples comp for people to see, here's a pic of the Tama weathered next to the SSC...

weathered_zpsmdgwnkns.png

lamtsunfung's COMPARISON is worth reposting...

View attachment 237034

I have to say I am happy I waited it out and took the risk for the Sideshow.

I just think its better proportioned overall. That said, without making this a "this or that" thread, the Tamashii still has its advantages and pros.

They both really do look great with no outstanding weaknesses or strengths that overwhelm the other in that pic. Had Sideshow tightened up the weathering it would have clearly put theirs ahead of the Tamashii for me.

Added the price plus my shipping costs--$10 for most of the Hot Toys to see how much this awesome pic would set someone back. And let's not pretend that if you have all these Leia and a Stormtrooper wouldn't make the cut.

$230 - Kenobi
$250 - 3PO
$240 - Luke
$165 - R2-D2
$240 - Han Solo
$265 - Chewbacca
$310 - Vader

$1,700

Added the price plus my shipping costs--$10 for most of the Hot Toys to see how much this awesome pic would set someone back. And let's not pretend that if you have all these Leia and a Stormtrooper wouldn't make the cut.

$230 - Kenobi
$250 - 3PO
$240 - Luke
$165 - R2-D2
$240 - Han Solo
$265 - Chewbacca
$310 - Vader

$1,700

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder of why I don't have this. It sure makes me jealous though! They looks *so* good together!

Back