Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added the price plus my shipping costs--$10 for most of the Hot Toys to see how much this awesome pic would set someone back. And let's not pretend that if you have all these Leia and a Stormtrooper wouldn't make the cut.

$230 - Kenobi
$250 - 3PO
$240 - Luke
$165 - R2-D2
$240 - Han Solo
$265 - Chewbacca
$310 - Vader

$1,700

I have exact same line-up (pending C3PO, as I waited for in-hand pics before ordering), so let's look at costs for an Australian collector (buying from local or regional sellers):

$300 (AUD) - Ben Kenobi (from 'Urban Attitude');
$309 (AUD) preorder/$349 (AUD) in stock - C3PO (from 'Popcultcha');
$275 (AUD) - Luke farmboy (from 'Robotica Toys');
$189 (AUD) - R2-D2 (from 'Popcultcha');
$271 (AUD) - Han Solo (from 'Popcultcha');
$303 (AUD) - Chewbacca (from 'Popcultcha');
$399 (AUD) - Vader (from 'Popcultcha').

= $2,046 (AUD), including shipping.

Note: The R2D2, Solo and Chewbacca figures were purchased during a sale period, and further reduced by using 2 x $50 reductions off retail (due to points accumulation at 'Popcultcha'). I have a HT Sandtrooper and HT Princess Leia forthcoming - so add another $500 to the above total. :(

Fortunately, I'm very happy with all figures thus far, and sold off other lines to buy them - so the hurt hasn't been too bad. Well, occasionally. Yeah, sometimes. ALRIGHT! YES! IT HURT!
smiley-sw017.gif

payer2.gif

Fortunately, I'm very happy with all figures thus far, and sold off other lines to buy them - so the hurt hasn't been too bad. Well, occasionally. Yeah, sometimes. ALRIGHT! YES! IT HURT!
smiley-sw017.gif

payer2.gif
That's all that matters. I look over at my detolf and think of how much is in there. I start computing for a few seconds and then just think. Ah, **** it. They're worth it. Bring on Leia. :)

That's a weird detail to pick out because most of the time onscreen it's really not visible - it seems to fade out below the eye. Maybe under harsh overhead lighting it becomes clearer. And the PF has a whole host of headsculpt issues - it's a somewhat wonky sculpt.

As a more apples-to-apples comp for people to see, here's a pic of the Tama weathered next to the SSC...

weathered_zpsmdgwnkns.png

Thanks for the picture. I think I know what to do once mine arrived.
This figure is still too shiny to have those grime and streak. Gonna airbrush a mist of sand color just to tone it down. Like what you did with your Bandai version. But looks like you use a sponge?

Some people noticed and they are right: the photo I posted is reversed. I didnt notice until after I posted the photo.

As for the base...Im going to make one. This will be such an easy base to make from scratch. All you need is a flat piece of wood cut to desired shape with a jigsaw. You could rout the edges (if you have one) to make the base a little more professional looking. Stain the base an espresso color and then laquer it if so desired. Score the top some and use a light overlay of plaster on the top to build up an uneven surface, with small mounds, wind lines and foot indents for the droids. Let it dry and in small sections, cover it with a light layer of glue. Sprinkle on some run of the mill train terrain sand found at any hobby store. They sell different colors and grain sizes to add variation.

Simple, but it will look very professional once finished and will make a great display piece. It is even possible to cut a slot out with a dremel for a figure holding mount included with most stands. Can paint it tan to blend better if preferred. That would allow 3PO to stand more reliably. This is what I plan to do. I could make a thread in the diorama section if enough people want to try it themselves.
Snow-Tex (now correct) is your friend. It's a putty with a grain texture. Lay it out, sculpt in place, paint sand color. Also great for filling holes in walls from nails on the fly.

Edit: scratch that. I'm tired and can't remember the right putty name. It's fake snow for holiday decor though. I'll rummage the hobby stuff tomorrow and get the real name.

Edit 2: Found it. Snow-Tex
DecoArt® Snow-Tex

Is anyone going to be doing an in depth analysis of SS/Tama/Actual 3PO to show the differences and accuracy as far as the designs and details? Might be too much effort, but it would be really interesting to hear from someone way more knowledgeable than me about the details that I may be overlooking. Glad to see all the pics and that everyone seems to be generally happy with him.

I'm a Pack Out guy too, SSC CS explains that it takes a day or two longer to set them aside and box them up. BTW, I will ONLY get my SSC stuff packed out, only way to go IMO. Everything arrives pristine.

How are you specifying a packout? I've never seen the option on the order page.

I'm tired of getting jacked up boxes from SSC.

= $2,046 (AUD), including shipping.

Wow! Surprising, actually - I was thinking it would be closer to $3K AUD but you've managed to get some amazing one-off deals. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger on the sandtrooper which will be my first Hot Toys purchase. Can't quite seem to justify starting over on another line after investing so much in Sideshow over the years, many of which sadly look pretty bad in comparison now. :-(

Loving all the photos. Hoping I'll be happy with him too and it sounds like he isn't as flimsy and insubstantial as R2. I especially like CowboyTsuNAMi's photo with the HT Luke. Very nice display and a little more wallet friendly than some of the others.

Well, my Threepio arrived and I've had some time with him and I have to say that I am really excited by this figure!

The gold paint is mesmerizing. I can't believe how much sheen they got out of this paint. I imagine this must be where a majority of the COST came into play. In fact, I wish they had used this silver paint (on the right leg) for R2's dome.

This thing looks like real metal!

First, no broken pistons, no scratches or things like that -- so good for me. I do have some 'flashing' on the knees -- which is my biggest gripe -- and that will require some extra "grime" to hide it. Some of the "oil" weathering is better placed (like the drips) than others (every crease seems to be penciled in)... but we knew that.

Again, the overall paint is so great, it really doesn't bother me.

Another thing I like, is that the sharp "spikes" on the forehead and outside both knees is a soft vinyl so they won't snap off. Brilliant idea!

The light up eyes work beautifully -- my head popped out easily, no issues.

The pistons work fine in their slides -- just be gentle. Threepio likes it gentle.

He has more articulation that I was expecting.

He is also HEAVIER than I was expecting. He's not loose and jingly or flimsy -- he's definitely lighter than the "metal" paint would lead you to believe but he's far weightier than R2. He weights about what Hasbro's Threepio weighs. He's light but not in a ridiculous way.

Overall -- this is my new favorite figure! I am truly thrilled by what Sideshow has done here... honestly. This is a great way to go out!

3PO COMP 2.jpg

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the pics from all sides :clap - I'm glad mine should be here tomorrow

I love this one with the natural light from the window.

Here's HT Luke with his trusty SS 3PO... height is pretty good, 3PO is slightly tall (not as bad in hand strangely), but nothing some bent legs can't fix.
View attachment 237007

I would have preferred he wasn't that much taller than Luke (even if screen accurate) but not a big deal.

Fantastic group shot!!!! :clap He really will look good next to the HT figures and complete the group (once Leia comes). Thanks for taking this picture.

Mine arrived today...
attachment.php

Great set up. I'm trying to decide if I should find or make something to use as a "stand" for R2 that will match the height and look of SS 3Po stand, if I should get new stands for them both, or pose them without stands.

That's all that matters. I look over at my detolf and think of how much is in there. I start computing for a few seconds and then just think. Ah, **** it. They're worth it. Bring on Leia. :)

Yeah, I agree. It's a significant amount of money, but the quality of the (HT) figures is just wonderful. And although 'investment potential' has never been why I buy such things, it's somewhat reassuring knowing that the HT figures will, at the very least, hold their value. That was certainly one incentive to go ahead with the line, given that I sold my ThreeA Adventure Kartel collection to fund the HT Star Wars run. It became increasingly clear that Adventure Kartel figures, likely given the relative obscurity of the line and thus the smaller pool of ThreeA collectors, are open to shockingly wide disparities in perceived value and real value. I don't think that will be an issue with the HT figures.

And the thing is, with each new figure added to the HT line-up, you remember just how astounding in concept design and costuming Star Wars was. Familiarity and pop culture repetition have dulled that somewhat, but these figures remind you just how stunningly creative and confidently unique these characters are: I mean, Vader, Chewbacca, droids, Jawas, etc. - all of them were just so incredibly well realised and no two alike. And yet, when assembled all together, they complement each other perfectly.

Wow! Surprising, actually - I was thinking it would be closer to $3K AUD but you've managed to get some amazing one-off deals. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger on the sandtrooper which will be my first Hot Toys purchase. Can't quite seem to justify starting over on another line after investing so much in Sideshow over the years, many of which sadly look pretty bad in comparison now. :-(

But it's really only the human likenesses that suffer with Sideshow, as everyone says. Their Star Wars robots and creatures are terrific, and they're really in demand, so you shouldn't have any regrets there. Indeed, I've been after the SS Tusken Raider, but it's bringing big $$$ on Ebay these days, as is Greedo, etc.

With respect to the HT figures, I did try to shop around to find the best prices (even in the face of our lousy Australian dollar), and other forum members like Sidewinder were very helpful in passing on some tips for stores and pricing. And I'm also personally happy to order from Singapore and Malaysia, whereas some collectors shy away from the Asian market (I don't know why?). I was able to find some good prices that way (at least when compared to Australian retailers), but I would have been able to get even lower prices if I'd gotten into the line sooner and pre-ordered! I only jumped in around mid-2015, so I did miss the boat on the original Stormtrooper. Locally, I was also able to take advantage of the Popcultcha sale periods and discount events that occurred coming into Christmas, so that helped somewhat.

Still, they're expensive damned things... :horror :lol

That's a weird detail to pick out because most of the time onscreen it's really not visible - it seems to fade out below the eye. Maybe under harsh overhead lighting it becomes clearer. And the PF has a whole host of headsculpt issues - it's a somewhat wonky sculpt.

As a more apples-to-apples comp for people to see, here's a pic of the Tama weathered next to the SSC...

weathered_zpsmdgwnkns.png

Wow, that's some comparison. Thought the one on the right was a movie still for a moment.

Because they're small, and you might lose one. :lecture

Got to work early today, and had time to kill. So I did this really quick. :wave

24359631635_4a21c86a3b_k.jpg

Amazing picture Rook, shows the line up brilliantly, I still plan on recreating the back of the old kenner figure painting at some stage. Bring on Leia.

Back