Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, simply put, there will be thousands of these guys. Just look at how many sites are selling these now, not just SS anymore. Places like Big Bad toy store, and many comic book shops. You have the single pack, the regular 2 pack, you have the exclusive 2 pack, you have Sideshow's Exclusive 2 pack. These guys will be around for a while. I'm sure the exclusives will eventually sell out first but there will be plenty of the single or 2 pack, and that is what any army builder is going to want. Also, as already shown a simple google search you can already see the pricing going down and he has many, many months to go before even being released.

Yeah. My plan was to wait on this one (Troopers). I know you can save more with the two pack and it comes with exclusives, but I'm leaning toward buying two single Stormtroopers. I'm not normally a stickler for accuracy, but I don't want two different sized troopers when they are clones and should be the same size. I know c-3PO's face is a little off and SSC's Vader sculpt wasn't perfect either, but those points can be overlooked in a display with multiple characters. Half a head in height difference on a trooper is irking me.

Have R2, 3PO, Han & Chewie and then 2 troopers...Hoping to get some reward points built up with all of these PO's and make a few purchases down the road a bit easier to swallow. Namely the Avengers. Should make a heck of a dent in a purchase by then. But yeah...a year away. Eeesh.

c3pooo_zpseb43a5af.jpg

This pic kinda sells it right there.

Pretty iconic shot / pose.

The nose does appear to be a shallow, sculpted inset in the photos; with dark weathering inside it.

I'm not an expert on this costume so I can't speak to the accuracy. Is it supposed to have a smoother transition before the divot?

I still can't believe I missed the pre-cancellation window on this guy. Oh well, nothing to do but post-cancel now. Or just buy it when it's out.

Well overall its an amazing job by SideShow, it just looks like the suit, but I agree that the head is off. The most notable thing to me is that the nose on theirs is a slot and the actual helmet has a ridge:

View attachment 147543

At this price I am glad I went with the Tamashi, looking forward to seeing side by side comparisons.

I'm glad I did too. The Tamishii has lighted eyes that even match the three-point triangle of the original film lights, and it certainly matches the true metallic color overall. I like the idea of having a dirty, oily C-3P0, but the SS paint looks like... paint.

Yeah, love the body, not crazy about the head.

Main issues with the SSC:

1. Headsculpt is off (too wide, chin too prominent, facial features too closely clustered.)
2. Unclear what the eyes will actually look like on finished figure (video and new pics show two totally different things)
3. Finish will be critical in terms of gold "mirror" and weathering - proto looks awesome but SSC's proto-to-production record not great.
4. elbow articulation will be extremely fragile and - if broken - unfixable. Weathering will clog the sliders.

But... ORDERED!:lol

On the whole, it looks awesome and the posability is excellent.

It's nice overall and I would probably be happy to buy it if I didn't already have the Tama. I really do like the weathering, but I suspect it will have the underlying matte finish of the SSC Raiders Ark.

My main issues with the figure are the face--I agree it seems a bit too wide and the chin ever so slightly too long, and the legs. There's something strange going on down there. I don't know what it is. Thunderthighs? Fat knees? Not sure. Something just seems off about them, especially in relation to the rest of the body.

Definitely 100% standless. I only have one figure on a stand now, Hot Toys Selina Kyle. She stood for months without one, but it's just too much a PITA to reset if she falls. I'll be incorporating the support part of the stand into my shelf base to to get of the excess plastic she's standing on.

Do you keep your in cases, (Detolfs) so if they fall they can't escape? Can you get decent poses out of most figures without a stand?

Yep. Agreed. Those pics show it perfectly. The head is slightly too wide overall and it has the side effect of making his head look to small from chin to crown. That makes his head look even more squat instead of having an egg shaped look up top. And his mouth looks like it needs to be a hair wider as well. And why did they deepen the recess of his "nose?" Now it makes it look slotted. It should just be a small recess and not colored in black.

Hrm.

All the 1/6 version are off from the original. And it doesn't stop at the head. There's at least as much wrong with the Tama as there is any other version, so at the end of the day it's all about which parts you can't live with and which you can - and money.

Back