Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some real engineers around here. :duff

I have no idea what Sideshow will do with regards to pistons, but to think that the Tama's are the only way to make them, along with their size, is very naive. From the teaser image is also looks like SSC may have gotten the "ear lobes" much closer to reality than what's featured on the Tama.

It'd be good to hear their thoughts on the matter then :wink1: As an industrial designer, I can tell you it's not as easy as the cheap-seat dwellers are making out. Sure it's possible... but factors such as the surface finish, assembly detail and durability make it a trickier problem than it appears.

Expect cost to be the most significant driving factor. Small production runs like these would never be able to pay for "sky's the limit" engineering and production (facilities/equipment). Durability tends to go out the window very early on in this hobby, as everything is already expected to be super fragile. Maybe Sideshow's pistons won't be functional at all. But if Sideshow thought the pistons were the only thing they could improve, they may not have started this project.

About the pistons, those were one of the points that impressed me the most about the Tam. They weren't static, they actually work. I loved them. It's never other me one bit how big they are. Even my most dickies friends never commented that the pistons were too big. :dunno

doc07.png
That's because you and your friends like big pistons and cannot lie.
doc07.png

I would be real surprised if it has real cables on the torso like the Chogukun. Big pistons or not.

I think the SSC 3PO will ultimately be a nice enough figure, but it'll have it's flaws - just like they all do.

Truth. Sideshow will not be perfect, never is. Not sure why so many want to bash the Tamashii, nor why so many want to say this won't hold a candle to it. I can guess who here has the Tamashii and who does not.

I would be real surprised if it has real cables on the torso like the Chogukun. Big pistons or not.

I think I might be most disappointed by this possibility.

Seems like some people misunderstood the relationship between Sideshow and there sub-con manufacturer. Sideshow only have the right to distribute there sub-con make. But Sideshow don't have the right to own there sub-con tools of the trade.

This is the reason Sideshow is doing there own C-3PO from scratch. For me, a properly scaled figure (Ban-Dai C-3PO pistons are too large for me IMHO) and an outstanding likeness to the actual icon is a must. I don't care if its plastic or metal, once its behind a display case, the looks matters. I don't care how it feels on my hand. I just want it to look just perfect. Can't wait for this dude to be on pre-order list.

Was actually referring to future reuse. I can see Sideshow producing an army of 3POs :lol

I won't mind owning the white and red one from Hoth rebel base.:)

Only reused parts I want to see are the ones they need for a Death Star Droid and 4-LOM.

The Echo Base and Tantive IV droids would be cool too, but I'd pass.

Only reused parts I want to see are the ones they need for a Death Star Droid and 4-LOM.

The Echo Base and Tantive IV droids would be cool too, but I'd pass.

What I hope for most~ every reproduction of protocol droids would come with a bit of unique accessories or a special base.

I don't think this is something worth worrying about right now - I would be really surprised of the opposite.

It would be a shame if it didn't as it's something that doesn't add a tremendous amount of engineering complexity and something they've already done to great effect on their premium format figure. Sculpted abdomen with painted details were already used on the Kenner figure from 1978 and the Hasbro versions from 1997 onward and don't really have a place on a high end collectible.

What makes you think they will finish the Bounty Hunters? They couldn't even complete the Fellowship.

That was a disappointment, especially when the Hobbits base body was already readily available.

In the HT thread its been suggested that the SPEEDER BIKE is on its way (means SCOUT TROOPER too), and that HT DX HAN SOLO has been fast tracked because of Disney.

I would hope for both those things.

Presumably Sideshow's Threepio will be weathered to match their Artoo. That's a big incentive to buy. While keeping the Tamashii as a representiation of Threepio in tip-top condition, polished up after an oil bath.

Back