Should the Customs and group interest section be made private?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that, beeshaw and Pix. I saw that fantastic sculpt. Too bad for Trev and Dave. I hope they didn't get into real trouble.

How many other custom projects have you seen shut down due to this same issue?

Apparently someone said on the other thread that there was one other example in the past, but I may have got that wrong.

Thing is this forum over the years has had more and more people interested in coming on here to get custom items made, and of course nearly everything on here is copyright. Thats bound to cause problems somewhere along the line at some point.

Apparently someone said on the other thread that there was one other example in the past, but I may have got that wrong.

Thing is this forum over the years has had more and more people interested in coming on here to get custom items made, and of course nearly everything on here is copyright. Thats bound to cause problems somewhere along the line at some point.

And it comes with the territory. Every sculptor/artist should know the risks. With likeness/branding comes that grey area/issue. That hasn't changed. It's been addressed may times in regards to statues (which I think is the only previous example) and Dave has said time and time again that he has no control over what gets sold on here for that same reason. And there are rules in place to limit the issue as well. (no selling over a certain number complete customs that interfere with a license held by SS/HT)

And like I said, locking down/restricting this section NOW after light's been shone on it by whomever, is only going to cause more problems. It's admitting that there are shady things going on and that will only draw MORE attention to it.

All which could be discussed more fully and in private If there was a members only area. :)

But hey, It was just a suggestion.

All which could be discussed more fully and in private If there was a members only area. :)

But hey, It was just a suggestion.

And I'm not trying to knock you for that suggestion. :1-1:

Now a SEPARATE 'Member's Only area' is a different situation entirely.

I've been talking mainly about the suggestion of locking down THIS section of the board.

I think the higher numbers for post limits are better. You can get 100+ posts easily in less than a week by just trolling threads with "cool figure" or "I might get this." See it all the time with newbs trying to gain access to the commerce section.

man, that does suck. But, like someone said before, it is a risk you take when doing a likeness. I've seen this happen over at the clubhouse too. Typically as long as you stop providing the item in the c/d order no further action is taken.

I agree with Michael Crawford, its best to know not to offer that likeness and move along. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the sculpt but I'm familiar with Trev's work so I'm sure it was fantastic.

The ironic thing here is that TT has produced dozens of unlicensed likenesses and figures over the years. It's kind of pathetic that they decided to blow the whistle on this... specially since theirs won't be out for at least 5 or so years... :lol

I think everyone is just panicking a bit right now. The only reason this happened is because Trevor is employed by Sideshow, and obviously someone saw that as a conflict of interest and made it known to the "suits." I really don't see this becoming a regularly occurring issue as 99% of the people offering customs here are not employed by big collectible companies.

Beeshaw is making a very good point - locking down a 'custom' area in any way is a red flag to companies and licensees that you're up to something. Dave is more likely to bring down the general wrath on himself as web site owner if he makes it appear as though there is something going on that is intentionally illegal.

What happened is pretty minor in the world of customizing. Personally, I'd leave things alone, and if another C&D comes along at some point, handle it the same way. Stop the specific activity, and move along.

I tend to agree with this... by creating a secret section the board would be seen as encouraging or promoting the production and sale of unlicensed items. And really having a post count/time restriction wouldn't necessarily stop knowledge of projects like this from getting out.

I think its just part of the risk that customizers run. Generally an item is offered and nothing comes of it; but once in a while someone gets caught. Just in the case of Dexter this is the 4th custom head I can think of that has been offered on the board, but only the first time a C&D occurred.

Someone gets all hyped up about a new sculpt - posts the pics on another board with no limitations and your back in the same boat.

Post items as generic (Although apparently the actors attorney was involved in this incident.) or the old fail safe of selling an item then giving away the sculpt as an intensive.

I have WB shut me down on ebay over a custom 6 inch Two-Face figure a few years back. I reposted it as a collectors card with a free figure. No problems.

*CC is not offering this as legal counsel in any form. Just an opinion :)

Someone gets all hyped up about a new sculpt - posts the pics on another board with no limitations and your back in the same boat.

Post items as generic (Although apparently the actors attorney was involved in this incident.) or the old fail safe of selling an item then giving away the sculpt as an intensive.

Yeah your first point seems like it would lead to problems.

But really, this instance has to down to Trevor's status as a sculptor. If the C&D was only about money being made without permission, I don't see why a very cheaply priced sculpt of his would bring down the wrath, whereas Rainman's is MUCH more and went by with no problem.

And I'd be more understanding about people issuing C&Ds for Jokers, or other characters where we already have great sculpts. But when the only legitimate Dexter sculpt in this scale is a) possibly never coming out and b) looks like dog ____, it's annoying.

I think everyone is just panicking a bit right now. The only reason this happened is because Trevor is employed by Sideshow, and obviously someone saw that as a conflict of interest and made it known to the "suits." I really don't see this becoming a regularly occurring issue as 99% of the people offering customs here are not employed by big collectible companies.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... t

I think the solution would be offering a headsculpt, figure or whatever from a high profile actor / property with a different name and viola.

What ? Christian Bale ?, no no, he is Bhristian Cale as Bruno Wayney from Vatmen Starts.

Beeshaw is making a very good point - locking down a 'custom' area in any way is a red flag to companies and licensees that you're up to something. Dave is more likely to bring down the general wrath on himself as web site owner if he makes it appear as though there is something going on that is intentionally illegal.

What happened is pretty minor in the world of customizing. Personally, I'd leave things alone, and if another C&D comes along at some point, handle it the same way. Stop the specific activity, and move along.

I agree...don't make it into a bigger deal than it is.

Just a thought, it might be best if we stop talking about it for awhile, let Dave make decisions, and not fuel the argument with any more info on sculpts and sculptors who offer things we want.

That way no one can copy and paste any more info to the powers that be about our "hobby"
( assuming that the leak came from here )

Back