Should the Customs and group interest section be made private?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you wouldn't be penalized. Folks would just have to be a wee bit patient and post on the rest of the forum more often before before getting in the custom sales area thats all.

One problem I forsee with locking down the customs section with a post count requirement is that it might discourage new sculptors from joining.

Oh I don't know. I mean I'm only suggesting that the sales area be made private, and I think that would make sculptors feel a wee bit more secure myself.

The rest of the forum, including where people show their customs that are not for sale would be open as usual.

I'm only interested in customs and only then in the threads i'm interested in.
Why should i, and others like me, have to miss out on getting stuff because they haven't been here long enough and have a low post count? That is being penalised.

Sorry YANOULI but I don't feel bad for people who want to reap the benefits of membership without having to actually be a part of the community.

My collection is about 95% customs. I don't join many conversations as far as 'real' product is concerned. Maybe I'm in the minority there, but I'm sure I'm not in saying that I found this board through this custom section.

Does it suck that Trev and Dave were issued a C&D letter? Hell yeah. But at the same time, that's the gamble with these things.

Also, I think you need to have 1 post currently to access this area of the forum as it is (at least that's what it says when I'm eventually logged out and I try to get in here the first time after).

I don't see how 'making' new members post more in here would stop this type of thing from happening. Seems that it's few and far between as it is. Hell, half of the customs here are pimped in other areas of the board (not to mention on other boards as well) anyways so they'll be seen elsewhere.

You'd be surprised how often folks post when they have a little *cough* incentive. :lol:

I don't see how 'making' new members post more in here would stop this type of thing from happening. Seems that it's few and far between as it s. Hell, half of the customs here are pimped in other areas of the board (not to mention on other boards as well) anyways so they'll be seen elsewhere.

Yes, there's that and as I originally said this idea is not foolproof, but like some other boards I'm a member of having a private locked off area does help keep some unwanted traffic out. I mean I'd hate to see this board get closed down due to threats from certain quarters or having the owners of this forum having to stop folks from letting others on here share their custom heads etc.

Doing something is better then nothing in my humble opinion.

50 posts over three months amounts amounts to one post basically every other day. Surely people can do that without spamming and they may actually enjoy themselves more than just being lurkers looking for a deal.

(GASP!... i know)

As well as get to know their fellow board members better of course. :)

Yes, there's that and as I originally said this idea is not foolproof, but like some other boards I'm a member of having a private locked off area does help keep some unwanted traffic out. I mean I'd hate to see this board get closed down due to threats from certain quarters or having the owners of this forum having to stop folks from letting others on here share their custom heads etc.

Doing something is better then nothing in my humble opinion.

It's almost like it would be admitting guilt on Dave's part though. We ALL know there's a grey area in this section. Yes it sucks that some attention as drawn to it recently, but I don't think locking down this section will solve that. Just make it an teeny bit more difficult for 'unwanted traffic' to see it.

Save for closing the whole section down I don't foresee this 'problem' going away. It's part of the gamble unfortunately, and luckily it's few and far between.

How many other custom projects have you seen shut down due to this same issue?

After discussions over on another thread I thought I'd take the liberty of starting up a discussion thread about after the recent 'problems' certain artists have had that maybe the custom interest and sales area should be permanently locked down and made private and where only members who have a posted a certain number of times can have access too?

Does it suck that Trev and Dave were issued a C&D letter? Hell yeah. But at the same time, that's the gamble with these things.

I guess I've been under a rock...although I admit I don't visit the customs section too often.

What happened?!? Can anyone tell me or direct me to the thread?!?

A Dexter sculpt was taken off the table because the sculptor and this site were both issued a C&D letter.

Trevor sculpted an awesome likeness of Michael C Hall as Dexter. Attorneys for both Showtime/CBS and Michael C Hall issued Cease and Desist letters to both Trevor and Darklord Dave.

Trevor withdrew his sculpt and refunded everyone.

That's it pretty much.

Beeshaw is making a very good point - locking down a 'custom' area in any way is a red flag to companies and licensees that you're up to something. Dave is more likely to bring down the general wrath on himself as web site owner if he makes it appear as though there is something going on that is intentionally illegal.

What happened is pretty minor in the world of customizing. Personally, I'd leave things alone, and if another C&D comes along at some point, handle it the same way. Stop the specific activity, and move along.

Back