Sewing patterns database?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twik25

Super Freak
Reaction score
How do people feel about sharing some patterns and building a database of them for all to use? Do people save their templates as PDFs or JPGs? Or do most people have paper ones that they have made?

Personally I have mostly paper ones. BUT, I could easily take some top down pictures on a gridded cutting mat that I could share. Thoughts?

Fantastic idea, would love to tackle some clothing just to see how it turns out and to see if I can do it. Having some patterns on hand to work from would be great :)

Great idea, but I imagine most tailors would keep them to themselves. Its how they can get away with charging $1,000+ for a 1/6 scale suit :lol

Yeah, judging from the feedback... i believe that is the case. IDK...

Well, I guess from the feedback... there isn't enough to build a "database" but I have taken a few photos I can share. I'll try to post a few this weekend.

It'll always start from something this small. Like some guys have started uploading their work on Shapeways.

I'm not sure if they do get anything on that, but as far as I know they simply do it for the joy of the hobby.

For me its partly what butt munch said but also my patterns only work if you know in what order things go together.
I will say posting up patterns to me is like sending out a sculpt to everyone so all you have to do is make the mold. Even on the most simple pieces, the pattern could take weeks of tweaking to get right.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see some clothing patterns posted up, but I can completely understand why people wouldn't want to.

Yeah, I totally agree. Even with my patterns, I know where I have to take some in, and adjust on the fly. Being an 1/8 off can make something not fit at this scale. But my thoughts are it will help people who want to try... It will give them a starting point.

But you are right... You would have to post a step by step for it to really help. And that takes a lot of work to put together...

Back