Robocop (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this version has more potential for sequels then the original actually. The original was so....well "original"...that it was hard to duplicate. Even though part 2 was respectable to some, my biggest problem with was always how different it felt from part 1. Almost like it wasn't in the same universe as 1. However with this new version actually feeling more real world and in some ways generic, I think a sequel is more do - able. Plus the fact that there are differences in the character development and the rest of the family still being in the picture, there is more Alex Murphy stories to be had. For example...what if a future villain kidnaps the family to get to Robo? Or the Government decides they no longer want him on the streets and secretly hires a terrorist group to take him and his family out. Or maybe frame him to look like the bad guy. A sequel can be done as long as the writing is there for a good script.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

For example...what if a future villain kidnaps the family to get to Robo? Or the Government decides they no longer want him on the streets and secretly hires a terrorist group to take him and his family out. Or maybe frame him to look like the bad guy. A sequel can be done as long as the writing is there for a good script.

It's those kinds of plots that I would dread being the sequel though, they seem too generic for Robocop.

The great thing about Robo is that it disguises a clever film as though it's just a mindless, gory, action film. It's got levels, layers. Donkey gets it

That's what I don't like about the sequels and spin-off show, it's as though they didn't really undestand the original film. It's exactly the same with Starship Troopers, a clever satire on war and propoganda then the follows that are turd

:slap

Oh well, I'm finally seeing it today. :lol

1 THE LEGO MOVIE
Warner Bros.

$13,030,000

2 ABOUT LAST NIGHT (2014)
Sony / Screen Gems

$13,000,000

3 ENDLESS LOVE (2014)
Universal

$7,300,000

4 ROBOCOP (2014)
Sony / Columbia

$7,000,000

It's those kinds of plots that I would dread being the sequel though, they seem too generic for Robocop.

The great thing about Robo is that it disguises a clever film as though it's just a mindless, gory, action film. It's got levels, layers. Donkey gets it

That's what I don't like about the sequels and spin-off show, it's as though they didn't really undestand the original film. It's exactly the same with Starship Troopers, a clever satire on war and propoganda then the follows that are turd

Oh I agree. I'm just saying that I feel this version would be easier to do a sequel to then the original one. I think the other big problem is lazy writing and Hollywood only caring about making a quick buck and cashing in instead of actually trying to come up with a good story for a sequel. I actually think that the RoboCop Prime Directives series of movies touched on some really cool plot points that if done on a grander scale could have been really good. Overall those movies were a let down but the idea of seeing prequel moments of Murphy's life before was interesting. I also liked the whole idea of RoboCop being yesterday news and outdated. He is part machine and in the real world things get upgraded all the time and everyone gets bored of the older stuff quickly. For example....who cares about an original Xbox anymore? So I think a sequel about technology moving forward and Murphy's trouble with staying relevant to the public is a good way to go.

:slap

Oh well, I'm finally seeing it today. :lol

1 THE LEGO MOVIE
Warner Bros.

$13,030,000

2 ABOUT LAST NIGHT (2014)
Sony / Screen Gems

$13,000,000

3 ENDLESS LOVE (2014)
Universal

$7,300,000

4 ROBOCOP (2014)
Sony / Columbia

$7,000,000

Those numbers don't mean **** people aren't aware enough for this movie or don't care.

Those numbers don't mean **** people aren't aware enough for this movie or don't care.

When you look at what movies are ahead of Robo...it's obvious why. I mean love stories on Valentine's Day weekend and then kid movies. Of course Robo didn't stand a chance regardless. :lol

With that being said even 4th place for this movie is not a disaster in my eyes. At least it cracked the top 5 and overseas it did a lot more business so even if it bombs here it will be considered somewhat successful overall. Similar to what happened with Pacific Rim.

I think that's because I only see one Robocop story worthy of telling, and that's the origin.

With regard to this new reboot, I greatly disagree. Imagine if they did a "RoboCop No More" for the follow-up. Its interesting how this new Murphy can be so easily transferred from one suit to the next. I'm going to borrow from a lot of other sci-fi plots but that's what Hollywood is about so hear me out. :)

Imagine if they finally developed a terminator-esque "skin suit" that he could be transplanted into? One that wasn't bullet-proof so not suitable for active duty. Maybe he is given the suit so he can live happily ever after. But he's sort of a Darkman type dude where he's still gross underneath and he knows it. He still feels like a freak. He sees his new replacement on TV, the big new "Robocain" badass, who isn't doing too well. Maybe he realizes his wife and kid would be safer with *him* patrolling the streets and goes back into his robosuit. Maybe he never quits and is allowed to work like a fireman and wear the suit for a couple weeks at a time and then go home as a "normal" man. It'd be tricky because you wouldn't want to do an "Iron Man 3" where it feels like he's never in the suit, it really would have to be more like Darkman. Where even when he's "normal" he's still strange and haunted and with weird powers (like being able to optically scan citizens and retrieve security cam footage, cell phone records, etc.)

Whatever route they choose I think a sequel does have to create "hope" that he can be normal, a hope that's never realized, and also introduce a bigger and better badass replacement that he can fight. Then it could work. This new reboot didn't deliver bad guys that you really wanted to see him put down. I hope the sequel (if they make one) really steps it up in that regard.

I feel the movie is missing heart and soul . It felt like it was more of a walk through than a true story with character development . its alright for a DVD release but I felt short changed as far as a theatrical release .The Original is a force to be reckoned with and makes one feel justified in wondering why the reboot in the first place .I really wanted to love it but I barely liked it . Maybe the next installment will remedy this lackluster reboot .

Watched the original before going to see the new one. The original was better than I remembered, but does seem very dated. I have to say I really liked the new one a LOT. It didn't set out to cover the same ground as the original, and the characters were far less cartoony and more emotionally resonant than the first. Although the first was pretty much a straight up satire and didn't really endeavor to create any emotional depth. And this reboot has an element of satire - Sam L. Jackson as a Rush Limbaugh wannabe was pretty classic.

The effects were cool - especially the disembodied Murphy and I'd love to see a modular version from ThreeZero. There must be a cut scene that explains why the human hand - that was an element I couldn't really wrap my head around. But overall the original is still enjoyable, but this film was superior in character, plot and motivation for just about everything.

I think a lot of people are blinded by the nostalgia glasses - these are very, very different films but both can exist. The original is classic but this film is a new interpretation for the very different audience today. What they do share is the exploration of what it means to be human - both handled it very differently, but both were successful in exploring the nuances.

didn't someone say that the "hand" Was nothing more than a skin glove over metal? I recall one of the reviews here say that

After a very slow mid-week start, the Robocop remake rebounded a bit over the weekend. Still, its $21.5 million three-day tally was a bit lower than comparable President's Day action movies A Good Day to Die Hard ($24.8 million) and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ($22.1 million). It's also off from 2012's Total Recall ($25.6 million), which was also a Sony remake of a Paul Verhoeven sci-fi movie.

Sony reported that the audience for RoboCop was 62 percent male and 64 percent over the age of 25. IMAX showings accounted for $4.5 million. With a "B+" CinemaScore, it would be surprising if RoboCop made it past $70 million.

With all the good reviews and hype this movie is getting, I might have to check it out sometime. I was all against it, but some of your reviews are swaying my decision a bit.

Don't let your hopes get up *too* high though. I mean it definitely isn't up there with the original but it did have some clever ideas, cool designs, and a sympathetic Murphy and even though it wasn't spectacular it was an all around solid effort.

Last edited:
I love the original Robocop. I remember seeing in theaters and would put it in my top 15 right above The Warriors. A easy 8.5.

That said, I thought the new Robocop movie was pretty good. It has a little bit of everything in it. Some kewl action while having humanity. Didn't get a Iron Man feel from the suit in the flick at all. I'd give it a 7.5 and better than the Robocop sequels.

After a very slow mid-week start, the Robocop remake rebounded a bit over the weekend. Still, its $21.5 million three-day tally was a bit lower than comparable President's Day action movies A Good Day to Die Hard ($24.8 million) and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ($22.1 million). It's also off from 2012's Total Recall ($25.6 million), which was also a Sony remake of a Paul Verhoeven sci-fi movie.

Sony reported that the audience for RoboCop was 62 percent male and 64 percent over the age of 25. IMAX showings accounted for $4.5 million. With a "B+" CinemaScore, it would be surprising if RoboCop made it past $70 million.
Why do you care about all that if you're not watching it? :lol

Unless you are.. or you're just making conversation. :monkey3

I just got back from seeing this, I didn't care much for the black suit but besides that I thought it was great. I felt it actually respected the original and made a place for itself, I hope we get a good sequel! :)

This movie was junk, no antagonists, a screenplay created to neuter the violence and even the robot fighting was timid. Don't get me started on the end. What a missed opportunity.

Back