Ringwraith and Steed, how to spot a recast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where is this registry? I have never heard of it before. So you think that these RWOS statues are fake?

Great thread, really interesting, I started one on the S and F a while ago which also has great info there. I think the photo of the styrofoam for the ringwraith is great.

An interesting read for sure. Won't be long until these will need to be registered online, a bit like a log book for a car.

O.K. I have a question. In a post Tim from Weta stated that he had seen Chinese recasts of the RWOS and that they were of 'poor quality.' When I look at the pictures of a RWOS from dmkworkshop I see a very well made item. In doing some research I see a difference in the number of round pads on different RWOs statues. In some pics I see six pads and in other pics I see four. Would this be an indicator that a statue is a recast? Also on some shipping boxes the word 'measurement' is on the box and on other boxes the word is missing. Have you heard of anything like this before?

Here are some pics of mine:

8488991630_a0ca4106e7_c.jpg

8487895719_bbd5aa3bdb_z.jpg

8487900715_c5aff9f3bf_z.jpg

8488996100_7265e1cda9_z.jpg

8489001092_da6ecfc322_z.jpg

8487909925_7ce16d7dfd_z.jpg

8487910875_d0209c0b14_z.jpg

8489009090_02b6b0268a_z.jpg

8487919399_3b7e0a7264_z.jpg

8487921299_9c17d657b6_z.jpg

I have got pics of tell tell signs in relation to outer boxes, inner packaging etc but willnot post for obvious reasons.

I do love that statue. It's my favorite of all the Sideshow Weta statues. The detail is amazing. That horse does need some first-aid for all of those wounds! Kidding.

Those are great photos of a recast, the major giveaway is that horse is too brown. I would also go with pictures of the styrofoam, the old ones are creamish white in color and very well molded and smooth. I don't know what the recast styrofoam looks like but I assume it won't be the same. I would think the styrofoam would be hard to replicate once the run is over.

There's 'iconic' for you right there :lecture

The only ringwraith statue i need!

Pfffffft................... :pfft:

I used to think so BUT that was until I stopped make believing that same though and actually looked at the Witch-King (Ringwraith) Maquette! After seriously looking at it and pondering, I was hooked and let me say I was floored by this guy and EVERY bit as iconic......Don't kid yourself!!! :cuckoo:

Those are great photos of a recast, the major giveaway is that horse is too brown. I would also go with pictures of the styrofoam, the old ones are creamish white in color and very well molded and smooth. I don't know what the recast styrofoam looks like but I assume it won't be the same. I would think the styrofoam would be hard to replicate once the run is over.

Hi just to be sure you did not mean my pics were of a recast? you are correct about the styrofoam, also things to look for on the shipping box is postage labels, dates etc, always good if the statue comes with these as this type of info can't be faked.

Just looked at the pics of the recast and it is light and day in terms of the paint job. Maybe they have got a bit better but yuk.

I wonder if the recast paint has lead in it. I hear stories on the news sometimes about the lead in the childrens toys that are made in China.
Just recently there was a story in the news about how the Chinese are hacking into US computers and stealing all kinds of information. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal for some people in China to recast Sideshow/Weta creations. I recently purchased a RWOS from Southern California. The seller told me that he purchased the RWOS at Comic-Con. Does anyone know if Sideshow Weta participated in Comic-Con at anytime in the past 10 years?

I wonder if the recast paint has lead in it. I hear stories on the news sometimes about the lead in the childrens toys that are made in China.
Just recently there was a story in the news about how the Chinese are hacking into US computers and stealing all kinds of information. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal for some people in China to recast Sideshow/Weta creations. I recently purchased a RWOS from Southern California. The seller told me that he purchased the RWOS at Comic-Con. Does anyone know if Sideshow Weta participated in Comic-Con at anytime in the past 10 years?

I know that Sideshow has been at Comic Con for years........

Good to know. But would they be selling Ringwraiths if all of the RWOS statues sold out in 2002. Just wondering.

Good to know. But would they be selling Ringwraiths if all of the RWOS statues sold out in 2002. Just wondering.

Very possible as most companies like SS and WETA "hold" some items back for things like CC, maybe the guy bought it 6 or so years ago???

For size, the PF will trump the statue IMHO, but the SSW statue is a fantastic piece in its own right and it has the history and the connection to Weta too. I wouldn't like to choose between them...I have the SSW statue at home and the SS PF on pre-order. Both rock IMHO. :rock

:duff
Bill

What are people's thoughts on this up against the upcoming PF. Think the PF will trump it?

Not sure, I've got the PF coming and I'm sure I will like it (I originally didn't until I saw SDCC videos) but I think the original Weta design is a perfect representation/sculpt/design.

Usually recasts occur when the molds are not broken, like they are supposed to be after a limited edition run is through, and are instead stolen or "misplaced" and end up at the knock-off factory down the road. This is a generalization, but you get the idea.

Very possible as most companies like SS and WETA "hold" some items back for things like CC, maybe the guy bought it 6 or so years ago???

True, you see these things at special auctions and giveaways even to this day. They could have won it at a forum member party, etc. Sideshow includes ultra-rare AP's in their charity auctions, and The One Expected Party last weekend had an AP Balrog as part of their raffle. If the piece looks good, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the backstory. Recasts tend to look a little shabby, at least the ones I have seen that have been confirmed as recasts.

Mr Fell Beast, I noticed your tag line of "Better then you" - I may be missing the context, but if I'm not, then one thing you're not better than me at is the use of then vs. than, lol. :nana:

Last edited:
Back