Ringwraith and Steed, how to spot a recast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay last night was hot a RINGWRAITH & STEED 89/5000 sold for 511 Dollars!!!!!!!!!!
Damn the time difference :)
Lucky guy that won it.

You'll nab one Daimon!! A legit one too! Keep trying, as it is one of the nicest statues that Sideshow Weta offered, and the little detail along the horse tackle was amazing.

:nazgulThat being said, a premium format version may be coming soon. I am hoping to see a pre-order or preview of the Ringwraith on Steed Premium Format during the 12 Days of Sideshow, but maybe I am needlessly getting my hopes up.

:nazgulThat being said, a premium format version may be coming soon. I am hoping to see a pre-order or preview of the Ringwraith on Steed Premium Format during the 12 Days of Sideshow, but maybe I am needlessly getting my hopes up.

Right there with you Chris. :wave

It would be so great if that comes to pass. :panic:

It feel like the time is right for a reveal of some kind. :impatient:

Here's hoping. :pray:

:duff
Bill

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party on this conversation, but I have owned two legit RWOS and there are distinct differences in the paint schemes. The recast seems to have a lot of brown on the horse, whereas the legit piece is mostly black. The mud splattering does vary a little from piece to piece, but I don't recall there being quite that much across the bottom of the cloak. I won't buy a thing from China on Ebay - just not worth the risk. That doesn't mean you can't get a recast from the US though - always pays to be careful. If you see a seller post the same piece over and over, or the same set of pieces, steer clear. Checking their history and feedback is helpful, although some people won't recognize it as a recast so positive feedback isn't always a sign that things are on the up and up. Hope that helps some - best of luck in your search and fund recovery.

I am also now a proud owner of this incredible Piece. A very big store in the Netherlands wwas moving to anotherl ocation and found out that it
had this statue sealed in box in the store house. Luckily I was there when they fount out and I bough it from them immediatly!

But for got it Daimon there are now multiple auctions on EBAY.
So you can get it for not to much!

I wouldnt pay too much for this, <$400 max. It has dropped in value significantly over the year.

the few times a seemingly legit one appears its always way over 400$.
Years back I payed 540$ and that was including shipping from the us to denmark - I still find that a good price.

Sorry to bump an old thread; but I'm looking to acquire one of these so I can have one piece to represent LOTR. I've always liked this one but missed it years ago like many others.

So, this recast makes me a bit hesitant and also I'm not quite familiar with what the going rate is? Any help?

Sorry to bump an old thread; but I'm looking to acquire one of these so I can have one piece to represent LOTR. I've always liked this one but missed it years ago like many others.

So, this recast makes me a bit hesitant and also I'm not quite familiar with what the going rate is? Any help?

They come up on ebay from time to time.

Here is one up for auction at the moment (at not a bad price)

And Olorin (the seller) is a member here and on "The Shadow And Flame", so you can be sure it is not a recast.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ringwraith-and-Steed-statue-RWOS-Sideshow-Weta-Lord-of-the-Rings-LotR-/121027049513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_146&hash=item1c2dc63829

And this is a guide to prices.

https://www.toytracker.net/weta/tracking/

You can also check out the "For Sale/Trade thread here

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=75

Or even "The Shadow & Flame" - "The Trading Grounds"

https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=61

Hope this is of some help to you. :wave

Happy hunting. :wink1:

:duff
Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for advertising my auction Bill! Definitely not a recast I'm selling, but I don't have the original box. A bit more than an hour to go on the auction, but no bids yet...

Now just look at Olorin's face...Is that the face of a guy that would steer you wrong...It is I might add a face that when drawn to it can take you away from your comfy home and make you go on an adventure or something but only after starting a rowdy party at your house taking all your best food...LOL...JK......................NO I'M SERIOUS!...................................NO I'm JK...LOL

I sold my Weta Ringwraith on steed when I ordered my exclusive premium format Ringwraith on steed which looks amazing, why don't you just get the new Premium format?

I sold my Weta Ringwraith on steed when I ordered my exclusive premium format Ringwraith on steed which looks amazing, why don't you just get the new Premium format?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new PF. I like the more ominous look of the weta one, plus it won't take up much space. Nice to at least have options.

It's kinda funny though, considering all authentic SS items are also made in china, probably from the same factory...quality definitely isnt much better than the fakes.

Here some more photos I took.
thanks

I am wondering if this item from China has a fake barcode on the green box that the rwos came in. I have seen similar rwos items on ebay recently with the same styrofoam. These RWOs are being sold out of California.

Great thread, really interesting, I started one on the S and F a while ago which also has great info there. I think the photo of the styrofoam for the ringwraith is great.

An interesting read for sure. Won't be long until these will need to be registered online, a bit like a log book for a car.

Back