Ringwraith and Steed, how to spot a recast?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is a recast they didn't bother to attach the reigns properly, weird. :monkey1

Other than the numbers on the product box, nothing really looks out of place to me.

almost guaranteed fake, never ever buy anything from china except maybe hot toys from well known hongkong distributors.

This statue really isnt that rare...

Anyway just open a case with ebay and choose item not as described, you should get your money back no problem especially since the seller isnt a runaway 1-hit wonder.

Given how much we are paying SS, they really should put a security chip in those things sigh.

Amen to that!! Micro-chips in collectibles is the way forward I say. And yes, I'm sure the prices we're forking out can justify a little being spent on what is now very affordable security technology.

I bet they will find a way to cheat the chips as well. Chips will be made in china and they will have access to the factory that makes them. :)

Last edited:
I would say definite fake, sorry :(

After all of this time there is no way the white edition number sticker would like that, i.e. fresh as a daisy!

Your piece is counterfeit. The Styrofoam is wrong. The paint is wrong.

The best thing you can do is contact ebay and tell them you received a counterfeit from this seller. Hopefully if they receive enough feedback from actual customers of dmkworkshop, they will close him down. But if you do nothing, and just accept it, they'll be there to con another buyer.

What the Styro should look like :

ringwraithfoam.jpg

Your styro:

counterfeitstyro.jpg

Although I have never owned this statue, I've seen it in person many times...wasn't this during the glory days of high quality foam packing? The foam packing on the "proposed fake" looks crumbly...also there looks to be way too much mud splatter...as well as too dark a ringwraith.

yes, yes it was.

Your piece is counterfeit. The Styrofoam is wrong. The paint is wrong.

The best thing you can do is contact ebay and tell them you received a counterfeit from this seller. Hopefully if they receive enough feedback from actual customers of dmkworkshop, they will close him down. But if you do nothing, and just accept it, they'll be there to con another buyer.
I already report him to eBay and asked for a full refund.
Now I need to find another one, a real one this time.
If anyone here knows where to get one in Europe please let me know.

Must ban China from the internets :lecture

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY..........etc, etc, etc

E-Bay = paypal ...Both the same company and both looking for the MONEY :lecture

It's a shame that they will take the money first and then deal with your problem (after a lengthy period accruing interest!). Why ban a cash cow? :cuckoo:

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!
:peace

Hello,
If I am not mistaken from what I "research" so far, the cloth on the recast one is no way near in detail compare to the real one. In the real one you can feel the weight of the cloth on the recast the cloth is trying to position it self so it can match the original one. I think this is due to the recast procedures (lost detail).
As an artist, I can say now that mine is a damn recast.
I compare photos I took with photos I found in this forum
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63966

this is my photos for future reference for recast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/renderblack/

Thanks everyone for the help.

If anyone of you is selling an original Ringtwraith and Steed or Uruk-hai Berserker Sideshow Exclusive Edition Feel free to email or PM me.

There's one on ebay for $600 shipped buy now that looks authentic.

It will be nice to see a side by side comparison once you got a real one just to see how well they did the fake.

Daimon, Have you considered waiting to purchase the upcoming Ringwraith on Steed Premium Format figure? Sideshow is going to be offering a 1/4 scale Ringwraith on Steed, and the price shouldn't be too much higher than the current ebay prices that you have listed above. Sideshow will be offering this soon, and you can then rest comfortably knowing that you will be buying an authentic item instead of sifting through some of the scam artists on ebay. I am not sure if you are trying to fill a specific hole in your collection (like collecting all of the SSW figures) or if you just want the character. Sideshow will be offering a 1/6 scale maquette of a standing Ringwraith likely sometime this week, and the 1/4 Ringwraith on Steed will be offered later this year (I am guessing the day after Thanksgiving here in the US) and you might want to wait to get the genuine article!!

Or he could wait until the PF is released and people start to sell their SSW version.....

That is a really good suggestion, and you may even see a few pop up for sale on the board. :goodpost:

I think I would be wary of any second hand purchase at this point, giving the high volume of fraud out on the ebay market place!

Daimon, Have you considered waiting to purchase the upcoming Ringwraith on Steed Premium Format figure? Sideshow is going to be offering a 1/4 scale Ringwraith on Steed, and the price shouldn't be too much higher than the current ebay prices that you have listed above. Sideshow will be offering this soon, and you can then rest comfortably knowing that you will be buying an authentic item instead of sifting through some of the scam artists on ebay. I am not sure if you are trying to fill a specific hole in your collection (like collecting all of the SSW figures) or if you just want the character. Sideshow will be offering a 1/6 scale maquette of a standing Ringwraith likely sometime this week, and the 1/4 Ringwraith on Steed will be offered later this year (I am guessing the day after Thanksgiving here in the US) and you might want to wait to get the genuine article!!

Yes I know I am waiting for that :).
I am not a big collector but if I see a statue that I like the theme and the pose I am getting really exited and I have to have it. Other than Ringwraith the other statue that makes me like this is the Uruk-hai Berserker Exclusive Edition. Wow I sound like a little kid.... but I am not :)

Back