Rate The Last Game You FINISHED..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naughty Dog already beat Kojima in terms of blending cinema with gameplay way back in Uncharted 2, which was already better than MGS4 when it comes to balance imo.

@FSLAR don't bother with Grounded on PS3 as it''s unnecessarily sluggish due to the framerate. Once you get it on PS4, you can't go back.

I always loved the Metroid Prime, especially the music and atmosphere, never gotten around the sequels.
Probably so. The sequels are fine, though they do lose themselves at times. I have the Trilogy Wii pack, and the original discs since I found the latter really cheap in my area. But the original Prime is really something special, one of my absolute favorites.
Absolutely. It's funny how Kojima wanted MGS V to be this groundbreaking game that came closer to a movie experience, but Naughty Dog beat him to the punch.

Yeah, the story's still great, but I think the game had invested so much of its emotional impact for a single playthrough. It's just like if you saw the Red Wedding episode in Game of Thrones, or what happened to Jon Snow last season :lol. There's that sense of shock and awe, that grips your emotions, but it's only good for one viewing. Then you start to think about it, you know what's going to happen in a second viewing, and the entire experience becomes less rewarding than it was when you first saw it.

Regardless, TLOU's still one of the greatest story experiences I've seen in a video game. It's the only game with a prologue, that made me tear up and put my controller down. Then there are all the ordeals that Joel and Ellie had to face.
Kojima lost himself to the parasites :lol

Absolutely! Some of the gameplay sequences might still have you on the edge like the Winter one, but the story's impact, it will vary. Like the intro won't break you.
Naughty Dog already beat Kojima in terms of blending cinema with gameplay way back in Uncharted 2, which was already better than MGS4 when it comes to balance imo.
It really did. MGS4, though good intention ed, was a mess in its own way.

Other than writing, MGS4 didn't come across as lazy in anyway. At least it was a finished game...

Although the nanomachine answer for everything was lazy, since that plot device was never that heavily leaned upon prior to MGS4. It was used for some standard explanations, but it never was abused and always had a level of realism. Having them trace the location of the Patriots when they were in Raiden, seemed pretty plausible considering he was talking to them the entire time.

It just killed me to see nanomachines explain everything...

And yeah, it was finished at least, and I do like a number of things. But I expected a lot more. 2008 was the year of 4, after all.

Just finished PS4 The Last of Us Remastered. First time playing it through and I give it a B-. I wasn't as emotionally involved as I thought I would be. I was really expecting/ hoping to be the one having to make the tough decision at the end, but it was scripted not to be. I also wasn't that into fungus monsters. Maybe I missed something but viruses don't have spores and fungus doesn't have a vaccine, so which one was it?

The graphics were fantastic and I liked some of the chapters such as the blizzard scenes as well as fighting alongside a (unknown at the time) villian, but I feel all the other mechanics and gameplay have been done before. At 38 with two litttle kids, I don't get to play a lot of games anymore, but I was intrigued because I kept hearing about how great the story was. It was good, just not great. Then again I am comparing this to the Mass Effect series which I think set the benchmark for getting the player emotionally attached to the characters and their outcomes.

It's not a virus...it's an infection, the game says so. I'm not sure anything else on what you mean, but my Biology Professor brought up the game when we went over Cordcyeps Brain Infection, and he said outside of it turning people into zombie-like thing, it's pretty accurate. There's some misconceptions still, though.

Otherwise, your opinion is fine. It's hard to get into a game's hype, believe me. Sucks about you not being able to play games though, there's a lot of great ones out there I think everyone should play.

It's not a virus...it's an infection, the game says so. I'm not sure anything else on what you mean, but my Biology Professor brought up the game when we went over Cordcyeps Brain Infection, and he said outside of it turning people into zombie-like thing, it's pretty accurate. There's some misconceptions still, though.

Otherwise, your opinion is fine. It's hard to get into a game's hype, believe me. Sucks about you not being able to play games though, there's a lot of great ones out there I think everyone should play.

I was under the impression that it had to be a virus. That is the only thing a vaccine is good for which is what they hoped to create from the girl. However, it's a mute point since it is just a survival horror video game and the main point I was trying to make was that the monsters didn't really "do it" for me. However, I do appreciate the creators for trying a new take on the zombie genre. I'll have to look into the Cordcyeps infection. I think a couple of my past girlfriends must have been infected by it because a few of them turned out to be "bloaters" later in life.

It does suck not having enough time for games anymore and I quickly learned that my 4 and 2 year old kids shouldn't be watching me play TLOU. Are there any "must plays"you recommend?

The infection in TLOU was caused by a parasitic fungus, not a virus. Remember when Joel wore a gas mask whenever spores appeared? That's how fungi spreads.

The clickers are pretty scary on harder difficulty levels. If you play this game on anything around easy or normal, the AIs are pretty stupid.

The infection in TLOU was caused by a parasitic fungus, not a virus. Remember when Joel wore a gas mask whenever spores appeared? That's how fungi spreads.

The clickers are pretty scary on harder difficulty levels. If you play this game on anything around easy or normal, the AIs are pretty stupid.
Yeah the AI is laugahable on normal/easy. On Hard and higher, it's tense. I've seen so man let's plays of people just gunning through, it's almost sad. Especially when they still struggle :lol But that's roughly accurate to how the infection spreads. The vaccine thing, idk, they thought it would work but it's never worked or been tested. Vaccines in games are very inaccurate, believe me. Metroid Fusion tried that with curing Samus Aran from a fatal infection after she was infected, it's supposed to be the other way around.
I was under the impression that it had to be a virus. That is the only thing a vaccine is good for which is what they hoped to create from the girl. However, it's a mute point since it is just a survival horror video game and the main point I was trying to make was that the monsters didn't really "do it" for me. However, I do appreciate the creators for trying a new take on the zombie genre. I'll have to look into the Cordcyeps infection. I think a couple of my past girlfriends must have been infected by it because a few of them turned out to be "bloaters" later in life.

It does suck not having enough time for games anymore and I quickly learned that my 4 and 2 year old kids shouldn't be watching me play TLOU. Are there any "must plays"you recommend?
I wouldn't classify as a survival horror game, since the few true horror segments are few and between, but it's close. certainly better tha other 'true survival horrors'

Must plays...there's a lot. On PS3, the Uncharted Trilogy, God of War III, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, inFamous, and some others I'm trying to think of. Third party, Dead Space 1 and 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Sonic Generations, Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, there's others I'll need to look at in my game library. What systems do you have? That would help.

And yeah, don't let your kids watch an M rated game :lol it's such a bad idea.

Finished Need for Speed Rivals. Fun Arcade racer game and nice change of pace for me since I dont play many driving games. My favorite parts was playing as the cops and busting racers in " Hot Pursuit" events. 8 out of 10.

Resident Evil Revelations 2: 5/10.It was ok,nothing special.But the reason i gave it such a low score was because of the horrible ending and things in the final chapter that made no sense.

Must plays...there's a lot. On PS3, the Uncharted Trilogy, God of War III, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, inFamous, and some others I'm trying to think of. Third party, Dead Space 1 and 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Sonic Generations, Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, there's others I'll need to look at in my game library. What systems do you have? That would help.

And yeah, don't let your kids watch an M rated game :lol it's such a bad idea.

Thanks for the list! I have a PS3 (which I mainly use for workouts in my basement now) and a PS4. I played and finished Arkham Asylum when it first came out and thought it was great. I actually own Arkham City and Origins but for some reason never played them, so I'll have to try to make some time especially since I'm a Batman fan.

By the way, thanks for giving my wife nightmares about Cordyceps. I did a search and its a little freaky to say the least. Looks like I'll be stocking up on Lotrimin and bullets now.

I did play TLOU on normal mode so maybe that reduced the tension too much in the game. I still don't think it was that amazing though. It was novel in that it really tried to drive character development which is pretty rare in a lot of games. Scenes such as the giraffes were impactful and well done. However, the story is an age old one that's been told in countless books, movies, plays, shows, etc. and the gameplay itself was nothing new.

I 100% agree with you that I probably fell for the hype and had too high of expectations going into it. I think that is why I liked the Mass Effect series so much. I had absolutely zero expectations and new nothing about the games before I played them and found myself emotionally invested in the characters by the time the series was over. I still think TLOU is a very good game, just not a true Masterpiece.

True enough about kids and M rated games, yet somehow they are drawn to them like clickers to sound. You think they're asleep only to find them staring at the top of the stairs!

Resident Evil Revelations 2: 5/10.It was ok,nothing special.But the reason i gave it such a low score was because of the horrible ending and things in the final chapter that made no sense.

The ending was actually pretty good, better than most Resident Evil game endings. Sounds to me like you got the bad ending.

No Nintendo systems? Somewhat limits the list, but there are plenty of Sony titles to go around.

:lol my bio teacher is disturbed too. as was the rest of my class that had no idea (with or without TLoU). Me? eh, I've seen worse. Thank lord it can't contaminate humans.

Difficulties do matter in games like this, believe me. And hype...yeah, it can't be stated enough that hype can kill games. As I've said to some people here, the first Metal Gear Solid was hyped up so much for me. And it didn't quite live. MGS2, and 3? Surprisingly 2 did, though there was plenty of anti-hype. 3 was in the middle, not much hype but not much against it.

And yeah, TLoU is not a master piece. It is a damn amazing game, from a phenomenal company, but there are certainly issues to be found, from some clunkiness, AI, glitches, some sequences and so on. Though I feel people try too hard to say 'worst game ever 0/10'. The story had moments, I'd say it was great but you can totally see a few things coming. But the likes of David, I did not expect. I just thought 'well, those guys were totally like the other human enemies, one time only', but no!

Kids and games, what are you gonna do? There's plenty of Mario and Nintendo for them....but no, they wanna be like the grown ups :lol

Teslagrad (PS4):A fun,but hard side scroller i really enjoyed.Puzzles and alot of fun stuff.As a sidescroller:9/10

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (PS4).

An 8 year old game that's still thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. Dumb, loud and always charming.

8.5/10

Back