R.I.P Hostess

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had a Twinkie in decades, not my favorite. I did ask at my local Kress IGA Supermarket a few weeks ago if they had Twinkies or Ding-Dongs but they don't carry them.:gah: Now that I know I will never be able to have another "Twinkie" as long as I live, I do want one now.:panic: Head-scratcher :cuckoo: I know.:lol

I don't eat that crap so this does not bother me one bit. However, it does bother me that 18,500 people will be out of jobs.

It's the Unions undoing! That's why I will never work for them! They are a huge issue with companies today especially with the economic climate.

I haven't had a Twinkie in decades, not my favorite. I did ask at my local Kress IGA Supermarket a few weeks ago if they had Twinkies or Ding-Dongs but they don't carry them.:gah: Now that I know I will never be able to have another "Twinkie" as long as I live, I do want one now.:panic: Head-scratcher :cuckoo: I know.:lol

I am sure they will be made again. Even if they are made by Bimbo lol.

So let me get this right... (I'm not in the US, so bear with me...)

The workers of Hostess are (automatically?) members of this Union. The Union says they have to go on strike, because Hostess made changes in their wages and pension plans.

The workers go on strike, causing Hostess to not be able to produce any of their products, while fixed costs and everything just keep being charged.
Hostess pleas to the workers to come back, otherwise they have to close and file for bankruptcy.

The Union says, "you can't go back to work, or we'll fine you."
Some workers go back to work, most aren't, and Hostess has to close down and filed for bankruptcy.

So now all the workers of Hostess are being layed off and all are out of jobs. Just because this Union said they can't go to work. How is that even possible? It sounds like freaking insanity.

We have unions over here too, but I've never heard anything like this before. I always thought a union was there to care for employees rights, not to get them fired?

And is it one Union for the entire US or is this a Hostess bound one? Do the employees have to pay money to be a member? Are they funded by Hostess? Will they pay the wages for the employees when they are striking?

It may be because I'm not from the US, but this just sounds like one major cluster**** of insanity... How can it be better to get yourself fired than to keep your job? Especially in these times of economic distress? I don't get it... :dunno

yeah I don't know, there were some jobs I was not even part of the union. I mean, maybe that was a risky thing to do but at the time I didn't feel like paying them to do nothing for me, someone would come talk to me about joining but few times I didn't.
I guess they are good in some cases but here obviously not.

I thought Ding Dongs were pretty good snack cakes if you had them every once in awhile.

Maybe somebody will buy the rights and recipes to the Hostess brand and just start production up again. It's obvious that there's a demand for their products.

How will people get obese now :lol

well....
C0109_JunkFood_01.jpg

Well I guess Walmart is a pretty crappy place to work, but how that is News I don't know. If anyone deserves a strike is walmart :lol

One thing I will agree with from that article is that these stores should stop opening the night of Thanksgiving at 8:00 or whatever for Black Friday madness sales. Open the store the next morning at the regular time and let your people enjoy the holiday with their family. That's how I feel anyway.

The bigger problem is that these stores are desperate to hit sales goals by year end. It sucks, but it's not an isolated problem.

At the same time, if you work in a hospital or a hotel, holidays are a crapshoot if you want time off (regardless of the state of the economy). Most hospital workers make good money, but not all of them. Hotel workers are pretty low wage if they aren't management, and it's not the managers working Thanksgiving and Christmas.

being a housekeeper is a nightmare job... Jesus, it is just awful hard.

I was a janitor in a hospital when I was in high school. ICU/CCU, NICU, and ER.

It was hell, but I'd do that again before I cleaned rooms in a hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back