R.I.P Hostess

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Even though the Twinkie can survive a nuclear holocaust and a zombie apocalypse, it couldn't survive long enough to meet either event :lol

And btw...the route drivers & bakers have 2 different unions. The drivers passed their contract & took pay cuts. the factory people didn't want to take a pay cut to stay alive

Last edited:
Anyone remember banana flips?

IMG_8578.JPG

Yes! I use to down one of those with this...

images

Ahh the '70s. :monkey2

DIY at home.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yeyy4mQoes"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yeyy4mQoes[/ame]

Everyone is crying about Twinkies going away but can anyone really remember the last time you ate one? Maybe 10 years or longer for me. When I was about 15.

Yet, Hostess management gave themeselves raises while filing for bankrupcy numerous times and asking for concessions from their workers. That's okay though.

They were on their way out some time ago and they're going to blame it on their workers rather than their missmanaging of their business for years. Try reading on Forbes.com about them.

It's not a matter of blaming it on workers. It's a matter of the business not being able to support the standards of compensation that had been established.

Also...https://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/hostess_dough_cut_U3uJ0MELraEEdw8xSPoPKN

Someone paid $310 for a box of Twinkies?!? :lol :lol :lol

P.T. Barnum was right...“There's a sucker born every minute.” :rotfl

Has anyone checked out eBay?
Some crazy prices going for Twinkies LOL!

stupid people with a lot of money I guess... I mean if you have 300 dollars to crap on twinkies you are probably not hurting for money :lol
( I mean I hope so)

I am over this... Having said that, I still feel bad for the nearly 20,000 people who will be unemployed. Having said that, (at this point I am abusing that opening phrase, but I don't care), I know that new positions will reopen as soon as a company takes over the assets... I mean it's the Hostess brand! People love this stuff. It's poor mismanaging of one's company that led to the downfall. Not the actual product.

#$%^ing hell! I should have been collecting Twinkies instead of action figures.

Here's some info you might find enlightening:

Hostess had been trying to get an agreement from their unionized labor pool of approximately 18,000, in order to stay in business and remain competitive. Operations at their plants had been paralyzed due to strikes and pickets. Last minute negotiations had brought some of the unions to agreement, but the bakers union voted 92% to turn down requests for scale backs on pay. As a result Hostess is shutting its doors and the 18,000 employees are all out of work.

The company had 372 collective bargaining agreements with a dozen unions and had roughly $2 billion in unfunded pension liabilities to its various unions’ workers.
Hostess work rules based on labor contracts included separate drivers for deliveries of different Hostess products, vastly increasing labor costs to the company.

As for your other questions; the unions weren't exclusive to Hostess, the union members paid dues to the unions, and now that they are out of work, the union won't do anything to financially support them!

David

Thanks for the answer. It's all a bit clearer now!
The last paragraph is what kinda pisses me off, though. Why would anyone want to join a union then? Sounds more than a dubious organisation to me...

Thanks for the answer. It's all a bit clearer now!
The last paragraph is what kinda pisses me off, though. Why would anyone want to join a union then? Sounds more than a dubious organisation to me...

Depends on who you believe. If there weren't any, then most laborers would be making minimum wage or getting fired when they reach top pay. That's what's happening in alot of places now. One trick too is to hire people on a permanent temporary basis so they don't have to give them any benefits, raises, or can fire them without a reason.

Unions are taking the blame for our lousy economy even though there are very few unions left. It's easy to blame them instead of putting the blame where it really lies.

But, since so many of you seem to think that labor is something that should just suck it up and take what's given to them, I'm done with the union talk. Hopefully by the time I retire I'll still get a little bit of a pension and have some health benefits left.

As for Hostess going bye bye, Little Debbie and other companies make pretty much the same things. And even I can make a twinkie cake. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back