R.I.P Hostess

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. EcKo

OG Freak
Reaction score
Very sad day :(

Hostess, the makers of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, is going out of business after striking workers failed to heed a Thursday deadline to return to work, the company said.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” Hostess CEO Gregory F. Rayburn said in announcing that the firm had filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to shutter its business. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”

Hostess Brands Inc. had earlier warned employees that it would file to unwind its business and sell off assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by 5 p.m. Thursday. In announcing its decision, Hostess said its wind down would mean the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, approximately 5,500 delivery routes and 570 bakery outlet stores in the United States.

Hostess suspended bakery operations at all its factories and said its stores will remain open for several days to sell already-baked products.

The Irving, Texas-based company had already reached a contract agreement with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. But thousands of members in its second-biggest union went on strike late last week after rejecting in September a contract offer that cut wages and benefits. Officials for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union say the company stopped contributing to workers' pensions last year.

A union representative did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment on the company's announcement.

In an interview with Fox Business, CEO Gregory Rayburn said many workers had already crossed picket lines this week to go back to work despite warnings by union leadership that they'd be fined.

"The problem is we don't have enough crossing those lines to maintain normal production," said Rayburn, who first joined Hostess earlier this year as a restructuring expert.

Hostess said that production at about a dozen of the company's 33 plants had been seriously affected by the strike. Three plants were closed earlier this week.

The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade. The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing. Hostess had argued that workers must make concessions for it to exit bankruptcy and improve its financial position.

The company, founded in 1930, was fighting battles beyond labor costs, however. Competition is increasing in the snack space and Americans are increasingly conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake's and Nature's Pride snacks.

If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin closing operations as early as Tuesday.

"Most employees who lose their jobs should be eligible for government-provided unemployment benefits," Hostess said.

https://hostessbrands.com/Closing.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIN-DrmBw9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1lISKJr3Mk

Ooooooooooh NNnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't eat that crap so this does not bother me one bit. However, it does bother me that 18,500 people will be out of jobs.

I don't eat that crap so this does not bother me one bit. However, it does bother me that 18,500 people will be out of jobs.

I don't really eat them either , but once in a while a Freaking Twinkie is amazing , and their little chocolate donuts kick serious ass.

Wow no more wonder bread for people anymore

I wonder how smart the people that chose to stand out picketing a perfectly good job for their union feel now? They probably made $20 to $30 an hour filling twinkies full of shat with great benefits. Now they will have nothing and go make crappy wages or live off the system because they can't find a job. Sad and disgusting.

With an choice of going back to work or closing shop for good, You got to wonder why a Union would choose the 2nd option

I wonder how smart the people that chose to stand out picketing a perfectly good job for their union feel now? They probably made $20 to $30 an hour filling twinkies full of shat with great benefits. Now they will have nothing and go make crappy wages or live off the system because they can't find a job. Sad and disgusting.

:exactly: ........ An occasional Suzie Q was da bomb

Yeah my girl looooooves those cupcakes when she's on the rag , and it helps her / In reality helps me too becaus ei don't have to deal with nagging .

Oh Noes , what am i gunna do now

The local grocery store was completely out of Twinkies. I did pick up one if the last boxes of Ding Dongs, which I actually prefer over Twinkies.

One down, eleven left. :monkey2

Last edited:
That's too bad about losing such an old company and that many jobs. I don't eat their products often either, but I do like those powdered mini donuts. I guess I'll head to the store to get one last bag...

Another childhood memory gone....

Not surprised by anything in this Obama economy anymore.

Sad news though, but the unions brought this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back