R.I.P. Call of Duty

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Infinity Ward did not transfer a lot of the magic of the first game over to MW2.

Self-fulfilling perhaps, since obviously things have been tense between Infinity Ward and Activision for quite a while. Whether they meant to or not, it actually makes sense now why MW2 was below-par for them.

Jason West has been a personal friend of my family's for about 15 years now, and I can't really comment on this situation from a professional standpoint... but I can attest to his personal character. Jason is one of the most down-to-earth, non-money-grubbing people I know. His parents are the same (his dad's a physicist for the government and his mom's an artist). He is super intelligent and a true creative. He really cares about his creations. From what I could see, Activision was taking more and more control of that away from him and Vince and IW as a whole.

He also cares deeply about friends and family and will go out of his way to help in times of need. For instance, a couple years ago when I had to go out of town, his wife was going to take care of my 2 cats for a week, including litter box duties. But, she was pregnant, and when Jason found out that cat litter could cause problems with the fetus, he insisted on doing it himself... even though he 1) is allergic to cats and 2) has a very strong gag reflex - true, he wore surgical masks and gloves while on cat-duty, but he did it :lol Can you imagine Bobby Kotick doing something like that - ha! :horror

Also, while Dax was in the hospital, he and his wife sent a maid over to help around the house during the rough time. A small gesture, perhaps, but one that helped IMMENSELY more than money or anything else would have at that moment in my life; showing that they truly knew what I needed most and cared enough to show their support.

They are generous to a fault, which may be what got them into this situation in the first place... being 'green' when they signed the contract with Activision, pretty much signing over all they intellectual property to them... and you can bet they won't be making that mistake again, which is why it's good to hear that the deal with EA apparently gives them full control over all their creations. (For instance... letting them do all of their sequels, rather than farming them out to other creative studios to quicken the cash turnaround.)

Anyway, point being - knowing his true character - you can bet that there was something funny going on over at Activision for them to pull this right before their royalty checks were coming due. THEY made this about money, not Jason and Vince. The way I see it, it's kind of like Peter Jackson suing New Line over LOTR royalties... it's more about the PRINCIPLE of the thing, rather than the actual cash.

And, knowing his true character, I'm sure he's an AMAZING manager and director to work for, which is why - even though Acitvision has tried sweet-talking all the project leads at IW to get them to stay (and you KNOW they have!) - they are STILL leaving, and I expect an announcement from most of them that they will be joining Respawn soon. And even if not, it's definitely a show of support for Jason and Vince, either way.

Here's a great article about it all: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-ct-callofduty12-2010apr12,0,6466384.story

Last edited:
:lecture :clap Thanks for the insight, Dusty!

And that cat-sitting story is both inspiring and :lol funny.

:lol I hope it doesn't come around and bite me in the ass for telling people about it :lol :sick

But, if I ever had to officially testify as to his personal character, that's one of the stories I'd tell, 'cuz it's true :)

I can't blame the guy for suing. I would too as they're getting hosed all over the place. MW 2 should have been a great game so whoever didn't let them fix it properly needs to relook at things cause they hurt a potentially great game.

OK I will try to see this in a positive light which will not be easy.

Right lets give it a try

Infinity Ward did not transfer a lot of the magic of the first game over to MW2. A new team might surprise us and reinvigorate MW.

I just hope there will not be any problems with the use of Characters. Are they owned by Activision?

The whole series is owned by Activision...They can't even remotely touch anything dealing with COD.

Back