QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scotty needs bagpipes

55e6083035274d80103af3502e0a714d.jpg

I've got Kirk, Spock and McCoy and will get Picard. My preference is for the TOS figures--I'd like to see Scotty, Sulu, Uhura for sure. Chekov would be OK, but not a must have. I'm not that interested in Chapel or Rand. I wouldn't mind a station chair (I made my own captain's chair) and a bridge station. The helm would be cool as well.

As far as TNG, I'd like to see Data, Worf, Ryker and Troi. That would be enough for me.

It's not all related to the quality of the shows, for me it has more to do with when I watched the shows and how it influenced me. TOS is pretty cheesy but had more influence because I watched it when I was growing up. I was already an adult for the subsequent series, so they were better shows for the most part, didn't have as much influence on me.

Just glad that QMX is doing these figures. I hope sales are good so they can continue putting out these quality, much-needed (for me, at least!) figure.

Tom

So I watched the first 3 episodes of ds9 and the pilot of voyager and it's....interesting. Ds9 has such an leg up with the acting so even though nothing is really happening, I'm still entertained because the actors sell the ***** out of it. Special mention to Nana Visitor as Major Kira. She's great.

Voyager has an amazing premise but there's so much hit and miss with the characters themselves. They push so hard for you to like Tom Paris and I just don't. He's so boring. Ensign Kim can't act and neither can Kes and Neelix is annoying. I kind of like Chakotay and Torres but given what they're doing at the start of the pilot, it is hard to buy them following Janeway so quickly. Doctor is great and Janeway is a wonderful performance. Also, just based on the pilot, I think Tuvok should've been her first officer.

I never watched either show regularly and most of Voyager I saw was from it's final couple of seasons way back in 2001(and thus I have little memory of any of it). I plan on spending the rest of 2017 trying to binge all of the various trek shows/movies. I will say this though, based on what I've seen of Ds9 and Voyager, I think eventually, I'll be more interested in buying figures from both of them.

Much like TNG before it, DS9 was a bit formulaic during its first couple of seasons, but again, like TNG the strong casting helps pull you through. By season three it knows what it wants to be, and by season four it's firing on all cylinders and stays that way pretty much right to the end of the run.

Voyager never really improves, it just kind of peters along. You'll get the odd stand out episode or two parter in every season along the way, glimpses of what the show could (or should) have been, but it never sustains any real sense of quality long-term. It's rarely less than watchable, but it's too rarely much more than that, either. There's just enough gems in the rough to be worth sticking with, just not ever quite enough to be truly satisfying.

Just my views, anyhow. Happy Trekking.

Speaking of Nana Visitor, I inadvertently insulted her at a convention once, back in the day. After being lined up for ages to get something signed, I was trying to think of something to say that wasn't just a repeat of the same compliments they hear a thousand times in a row, just trying to be a bit more personable. But I've never been that great at impromptu smalltalk. So I get to the table and the thing my brain suddenly decided upon is to ask her if she's sick of seeing photos of her own face yet. For a millisecond something in my brain obviously thought that would be funny, but Nana Visitor, who had seemed to have had quite a good sense of humour before that point, clearly didn't see the joke. At all. Alexander Siddig, who was signing next to her, was clearly far more amused by it and actually laughed out loud, before she shot him daggers, clearly unimpressed. they were still together at the time, they broke up not long after, it probably isn't related... :p

Heh. That's funny. Speaking of Sidding, I forgot to mention I like his doctor character. He has this vibe like he doesn't completely know what he's doing and I like that. It's a nice change of pace from all the other doctors that seem to know EVERYTHING at all times.

Much like TNG before it, DS9 was a bit formulaic during its first couple of seasons, but again, like TNG the strong casting helps pull you through. By season three it knows what it wants to be, and by season four it's firing on all cylinders and stays that way pretty much right to the end of the run.

Voyager never really improves, it just kind of peters along. You'll get the odd stand out episode or two parter in every season along the way, glimpses of what the show could (or should) have been, but it never sustains any real sense of quality long-term. It's rarely less than watchable, but it's too rarely much more than that, either. There's just enough gems in the rough to be worth sticking with, just not ever quite enough to be truly satisfying.

Just my views, anyhow. Happy Trekking.

Speaking of Nana Visitor, I inadvertently insulted her at a convention once, back in the day. After being lined up for ages to get something signed, I was trying to think of something to say that wasn't just a repeat of the same compliments they hear a thousand times in a row, just trying to be a bit more personable. But I've never been that great at impromptu smalltalk. So I get to the table and the thing my brain suddenly decided upon is to ask her if she's sick of seeing photos of her own face yet. For a millisecond something in my brain obviously thought that would be funny, but Nana Visitor, who had seemed to have had quite a good sense of humour before that point, clearly didn't see the joke. At all. Alexander Siddig, who was signing next to her, was clearly far more amused by it and actually laughed out loud, before she shot him daggers, clearly unimpressed. they were still together at the time, they broke up not long after, it probably isn't related... :p

LMFAO classic

Heh. That's funny. Speaking of Sidding, I forgot to mention I like his doctor character. He has this vibe like he doesn't completely know what he's doing and I like that. It's a nice change of pace from all the other doctors that seem to know EVERYTHING at all times.

Bashir is kind of an underrated character all around. I thought he was so great.

Playing catch up and received my Spock today from Planet Figures Express (cheers Aaron). Impressed with the figure overall, likeness is cracking & uniform fits well. Only had a tiny issue finding the magnet for the communicator, but I got there in the end.
Now to save for my fav character, the old country doctor and then hopefully Scotty & Sulu by the years end.

What kind of release schedule are we on? One figure every three months might not mean Sulu by the end of the year if Data, Worf, and the reboot figures are factored in. Uhura is in development but no word on Chekov yet. It's hard to know how easy it will be to keep the ball bouncing once the 50th anniversary dies down and they move to the second tier characters.

Thats what im wondering about now too. How many figures a year and how often? I think the answer will tell us how deep these lines may actually go

I had thought that Scotty would be next, but they may want to further solidify the TNG line with another release first. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

SDCC should tell you a lot about the future of the line IMO. QMX tweeted before Toy Fair what were we excited about seeing at the show? I tweeted them telling that I wanted to see New Trek. They liked my tweet and immediately after no new reveals minus Kelvin timeline jumpsuit, I told them I will keep my lips sealed until after SDCC now. Hopefully they will have painted Admiral Kirk and Captain Spocks heads by that time

I had thought that Scotty would be next, but they may want to further solidify the TNG line with another release first. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Didn't Nanjin say on his facebook Scotty was not next. I thought the implication was that Sulu was. I'm fine either way. I probably want both.

I'm an handful more episodes into my binging of ds9 and voyager. I'm alternating between shows episode by episode while still also binging original and next gen. I think Voyager may've been better early on in it's run. There's active reasons for conflict between characters that I didn't see on the later episodes that I did see.

I always thought the doctor on voyager saved that show. Part of its general low ranking for a trek series was its characters. I never liked Harry Kim or chakotay. Tuvok grew on me over time.

I would get janeway if they made her, but that's pretty much it from voyager.

Didn't Nanjin say on his facebook Scotty was not next. I thought the implication was that Sulu was. I'm fine either way. I probably want both.

I wouldn't know, I don't follow facebook, so any impressions I may have at any given time are largely built from what I've read around here. :)

I always thought the doctor on voyager saved that show. Part of its general low ranking for a trek series was its characters. I never liked Harry Kim or chakotay. Tuvok grew on me over time.

I would get janeway if they made her, but that's pretty much it from voyager.

Tuvok and the Doctor are the only characters I ever really liked on the show, at least until 7 of 9 came along, who was a nice addition to the cast (even if they did overuse her at the expense of other characters at times). As such, those are probably the only Voyager characters I'd be actively tempted into buylast

Never really cared much for Janeway, personally, but if they made her (and made her well) I'd probably buy, just because she's the captain, and if you are going to have any kind of Voyager representation then she obviously has to be a central part. At that point I might consider B'Elanna, as well, a character I didn't mind, who would add a bit more visual variety to the display, but right now I can't see any situation in which I'd personally lay down QMX money for Paris, Kim, Kes, Neelix, Seska, Icheb, or Chakotay. Still, stranger things have happened, I guess.

Mind you, I absolutely draw the line at a Naomi Wildman figure, no matter what happens. :p

Loving these figures hope they make the captains chair w sound effects

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I built a captain's chair for Kirk and I'm working on a station chair for either Uhura or Spock. It doesn't have the straight lines that the captain's chair has, though, so it's a little tougher. And I would need more than one. Has anyone seen anything out there-like a 3D printed version at Shapeways? I saw that some one had printed a boatload of stuff-helm, sickbay medical bed, but I don't think they were selling them.

The bridge consoles are mostly straight lines, so that is doable, but big. I need some chairs!

Tom

Back