PS2 out sells PS3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really see the big deal with this news. In terms of overall sales, the PS2 has outsold all current gen systems including the Wii and X-Box 360. So, don't be too quick to throw the PS3 in the dirt :D.

I don't really see the big deal with this news. In terms of overall sales, the PS2 has outsold all current gen systems including the Wii and X-Box 360. So, don't be too quick to throw the PS3 in the dirt :D.

Yes, but that doesn't mean the PS3 is simply the PS2 of the modern era (in terms of sales potential and popularity). There are a lot of factors that stand in Sony's way this time around. The Wii is the current generation's PS2.

The PS2 outsold the PS3 in April 2009, that's just not a healthy place to be for Sony. The PS2 is becoming a tumor for the PS3 (a money making tumor, but one nonetheless). It's cannibalizing business.

Yes, but that doesn't mean the PS3 is simply the PS2 of the modern era (in terms of sales potential and popularity). There are a lot of factors that stand in Sony's way this time around. The Wii is the current generation's PS2.

The PS2 outsold the PS3 in April 2009, that's just not a healthy place to be for Sony. The PS2 is becoming a tumor for the PS3 (a money making tumor, but one nonetheless). It's cannibalizing business.

Well, I wouldn't blame the PS2 for the lack of PS3 sales. Let's face it, the PS3 hasn't fared well when competing directly against the Wii and the 360.

But if anything, I believe that the boost in PS2 sales is helping Sony to recoup their losses from the PS3 (why else would Sony still keep the PS2 in production?).

Well, I wouldn't blame the PS2 for the lack of PS3 sales. Let's face it, the PS3 hasn't fared well when competing directly against the Wii and the 360.

But if anything, I believe that the boost in PS2 sales is helping Sony to recoup their losses from the PS3 (why else would Sony still keep the PS2 in production?).

It's an odd cycle. The PS2 sales certainly do help Sony recoup on the PS3, but with the PS2 still around the PS3 won't reach it's fullest sales potential, especially now with backwards compatibility yanked out.

The PS2 can't be solely attributed for the PS3's low sales, but it's certainly one good reason among many others (the other consoles, like you said).

PS3 will be around long enough that we should (hopefully) see a turnaround in sales in the near future, but when will that happen? There are rumors abound that Nintendo is developing an HD Wii and obviously Microsoft is undoubtedly working on their 360 followup. So where does the PS3 fit?

It's an odd cycle. The PS2 sales certainly do help Sony recoup on the PS3, but with the PS2 still around the PS3 won't reach it's fullest sales potential, especially now with backwards compatibility yanked out.

The PS2 can't be solely attributed for the PS3's low sales, but it's certainly one good reason among many others (the other consoles, like you said).

One issue with the PS2 still selling so strongly is that it actually encourages developers to continue developing for the PS2 instead of moving onto the PS3, because it is more "familiar" to develop for and it has a huge installed user base. Which can allow them to reap greater rewards for even minimal/subpar efforts.

So the PS2 is a bit of a double edged sword. Sure it is boosting profits in the short term, but many developers are also using it as a bit of a crutch and allocating resources/development cycles towards it that might be better spent developing new PS3/next gen titles.

- TGM

I very much prefer the PS3 to the 360 and the Wii (I have all three). I always hear arguments that the PS3 doesn't have many good games but I have honestly enjoyed the PS3's exclusives more than the 360's.

When I think of the 360's biggest exclusives, the games that come to mind are Halo 3, Gears of War, Bioshock, and Mass Effect (I know there are many more but those are the ones that come to mind). Of those four, own all but Bioshock. Halo 3 and Gears of War were fun but I wasn't too incredibly enthralled. I didn't enjy the fiction behind GOW (though the cover system was great) and Halo 3 didn't break any new ground. I do recognize that both of those games were incredibly polished though. However, I have enjoyed Mass Effect immensely and believe it to be one of the best games of this genre.

On the PS3, the big exclusives that come to mind are Uncharted, MGS4, Killzone 2, Resistance series, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, Valkyrie Chronicles, Heavenly Sword, Lair, and now Infamous. MGS4 and Uncharted were great and truly offered a unique experience IMHO. I think they are some of the highlights of this generation. Valkyrie Chronicles is rather unique as well in both gameplay and graphical style. There isn't really anything else like it which makes it a true gem. Infoamus looks great but I haven't played it. I have enjoyed the other big exclusives as well but I don't think they offer truly unique experiences that I couldn't find elsewhere.

Anyway, my point is that since I am sooo tired off FPS and racing gmaes, I have veered towards the system with the most exclusives in other genres. I think PS3 honestly offers this over the 360. (Technically, the Wii offers games that are the most unique...but most of them are crap). My preference for the PS3 is actually surprising as I wasn't a big fan of the PS2 (I always preferred the XBox and even the Gamecube over the PS2).

I very much prefer the PS3 to the 360 and the Wii (I have all three). I always hear arguments that the PS3 doesn't have many good games but I have honestly enjoyed the PS3's exclusives more than the 360's.

When I think of the 360's biggest exclusives, the games that come to mind are Halo 3, Gears of War, Bioshock, and Mass Effect (I know there are many more but those are the ones that come to mind). Of those four, own all but Bioshock. Halo 3 and Gears of War were fun but I wasn't too incredibly enthralled. I didn't enjy the fiction behind GOW (though the cover system was great) and Halo 3 didn't break any new ground. I do recognize that both of those games were incredibly polished though. However, I have enjoyed Mass Effect immensely and believe it to be one of the best games of this genre.

On the PS3, the big exclusives that come to mind are Uncharted, MGS4, Killzone 2, Resistance series, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, Valkyrie Chronicles, Heavenly Sword, Lair, and now Infamous. MGS4 and Uncharted were great and truly offered a unique experience IMHO. I think they are some of the highlights of this generation. Valkyrie Chronicles is rather unique as well in both gameplay and graphical style. There isn't really anything else like it which makes it a true gem. Infoamus looks great but I haven't played it. I have enjoyed the other big exclusives as well but I don't think they offer truly unique experiences that I couldn't find elsewhere.

Anyway, my point is that since I am sooo tired off FPS and racing gmaes, I have veered towards the system with the most exclusives in other genres. I think PS3 honestly offers this over the 360. (Technically, the Wii offers games that are the most unique...but most of them are crap). My preference for the PS3 is actually surprising as I wasn't a big fan of the PS2 (I always preferred the XBox and even the Gamecube over the PS2).

Amen, brother. I hate the old argument that PS3 has no games. Like I said in my earlier post, I have 19 games:

Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
Dead Space
Devil May Cry 4
The Eye of Judgement
Grand Theft Auto IV
Guitar Hero 3
Heavenly Sword
Little Big Planet
Madden 2008
Madden 2009
Metal Gear Solid
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Prince of Persia
Resident Evil 5
Rock Band
Street Fighter 4
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk

The PS3 exclusives are fantastic, and the multi-platform releases are fine in their own right. I'm bummed that I can't play the Gears of War series, but PS3 got a port of Bioshock. Ninja Gaiden 2 is being ported over as Ninja Gaiden Sigma. While it sucks that the PS3 is not doing as well as it should, I'm more than satisfied with mine and I will continue to support it.

I guarantee you the only reason the PS3 isn't selling is due to the economic downturn. People might not be buying them, because they're skint, but they will still be panning for them. They're easily the most desirable console, only thing stopping it from selling loads is the price

The Wii is the current generation's PS2.

Isn't the DS still selling more than the Wii??

But still, the fact that the Wii is even still selling is troubling to me. . . what are all these people playing?? As far as I know, the Wii hasn't had any good games since Smash Bros. My Wii is unplugged, I didn't even want it to drain any power on standby. I'm just too lazy to sell it, that and my Gamecube failed, so I need something to play Eternal Darkness. :lol

I guarantee you the only reason the PS3 isn't selling is due to the economic downturn. People might not be buying them, because they're skint, but they will still be panning for them. They're easily the most desirable console, only thing stopping it from selling loads is the price
Ok but if it was due strictly yo economy then shouldn't have all systems since a similar % change in sales so they all should have stayed in same order. If it was that desirable people would be buying them , not every other system still on the market. I think one thing that is hurting the PS3 sales is the fact that you can get good Blu-Ray players for half the price of a PS3. A year ago the price of the player and the ps3 were close in price so why not get the ps3.

The PS3 is a future proof Blu-Ray player, unlike the cheaper options.
Also in the future, games are going to require more disc space so I think Microsoft's only option is to go blu-ray.
PS3 is a great all rounder, Xbox is an awesome online gaming experience and the Wii's fun for the family.

Amen, brother. I hate the old argument that PS3 has no games. Like I said in my earlier post, I have 19 games:

The Eye of Judgement

Heavenly Sword
Little Big Planet

Metal Gear Solid
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk

The PS3 exclusives are fantastic, and the multi-platform releases are fine in their own right. I'm bummed that I can't play the Gears of War series, but PS3 got a port of Bioshock. Ninja Gaiden 2 is being ported over as Ninja Gaiden Sigma. While it sucks that the PS3 is not doing as well as it should, I'm more than satisfied with mine and I will continue to support it.

Good post. However, I took out all the games that were on the 360 (some of them mind you came out first for 360 and actually play better). Enjoy! :duff :lol

So really you have 7 original titles.

The PS3 is a future proof Blu-Ray player, unlike the cheaper options.
Also in the future, games are going to require more disc space so I think Microsoft's only option is to go blu-ray.
PS3 is a great all rounder, Xbox is an awesome online gaming experience and the Wii's fun for the family.
That may be true but for the average user it makes no difference. Most dont have a receiver that can make use of all these updates. The average user has a 1080p tv and no high end sound system so why do they need the abilty to get the latest and greatest sound upgrade. Also the Sony I got from Costco for just over $200 is upgradeable so its just as future proof as the PS3. Plus nothing is future proof.

Good post. However, I took out all the games that were on the 360 (some of them mind you came out first for 360 and actually play better). Enjoy! :duff :lol

Ninja Gaiden Sigma was just an upgraded Ninja Gaiden on the 1st Xbox so I don't think that one counts.

Well geez, I'm sure if we look at your 360 library and take out all of your multiplatform games, your list would be a lot shorter too. PS3 has a lot of great exclusives, perhaps as many as the 360 (refutable opinion.) I'm not sure sure what you were trying to prove with what you said. It's not like he was saying "all these titles make the 360 lineup look like crap."

That may be true but for the average user it makes no difference. Most dont have a receiver that can make use of all these updates. The average user has a 1080p tv and no high end sound system so why do they need the abilty to get the latest and greatest sound upgrade. Also the Sony I got from Costco for just over $200 is upgradeable so its just as future proof as the PS3. Plus nothing is future proof.

Except that the "future proof" part of the PS3 ISN'T JUST ABOUT the audio aspect of it. When the 2.0 profile came out, all the old players were left in the dust. New video or functionality developments may put down older players as well, not just audio.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma was just an upgraded Ninja Gaiden on the 1st Xbox so I don't think that one counts.

I think it should, since it was in no way whatsoever a port or anything. It was a total reworking, built from bottom to top to work incredibly in HD. That's like calling Gears 2 an upgraded Gears 1. I mean, it's not like they totally reworked the game engine or anything for the new game, just new enviornemts and a few new effects. (Just an analogy. Don't bash me for saying that.)

Isn't the DS still selling more than the Wii??

But still, the fact that the Wii is even still selling is troubling to me. . . what are all these people playing?? As far as I know, the Wii hasn't had any good games since Smash Bros. My Wii is unplugged, I didn't even want it to drain any power on standby. I'm just too lazy to sell it, that and my Gamecube failed, so I need something to play Eternal Darkness. :lol

I was talking exclusively about consoles, but yeah, the DS is the dominator in general.

I don't even know where my Wii is. I put it in one of my closets somewhere....

Except that the "future proof" part of the PS3 ISN'T JUST ABOUT the audio aspect of it. When the 2.0 profile came out, all the old players were left in the dust. New video or functionality developments may put down older players as well, not just audio.

That was then this now. I dont know many players that dont have upgrade ability now. A year or more ago the PS3 was the best Blu Ray player for the money but not anymore. If you dont believe the fact that price difference between a blu ray player has any effect on sales you have blinders on. I know a number of people who have a PS3 for the blu ray player only.

I get you all LOVE your PS3 and how could anyone say anything bad about it. :horror:horror:horror:horror

I'm holding up for the PS3 price cut (hopefully) :)) My main attraction to the PS3 is its ability to play blu-ray disc. I think for games, X-box 360 has lots of titles but with its constant problem and recall, PS3 is still my best choice

A few reasons I'm happy as a lark in 2009...

featuremostanticipated2009ps3.jpg

RCFCIT1.jpg

gran-turismo-5-prologue-20070920005820972_640w.jpg

And that's not including Bioshock 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Modern Warfare 2, and Ghostbusters.

And the return of Twisted Metal...:banana

Back