Pop Culture Shock: John Carpenter's The Thing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was regarding your comment on the eye brows being painted too dark. As for the shape and being too thin again I go back to painters have to go with what they are given. If you look at the raw sculpt the eyebrows are thin on it. Sure it can be painted a bit bigger from what is sculpted but you can't go too far away from that cause it will veer too far from the detailed brow. At least that's how I view painted sculpts lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was regarding your comment on the eye brows being painted too dark. As for the shape and being too thin again I go back to painters have to go with what they are given. If you look at the raw sculpt the eyebrows are thin on it. Sure it can be painted a bit bigger from what is sculpted but you can't go too far away from that cause it will veer too far from the detailed brow. At least that's how I view painted sculpts lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but what I'm saying is just that it's easy to fix in a repaint. The eyes wouldn't be.
That said, I like this sculpt.

True, but what I'm saying is just that it's easy to fix in a repaint. The eyes wouldn't be.
That said, I like this sculpt.

Yes it is great sculpt and I love the paint job lol but the real issue is hopefully we can get this figure at all lol PCS hasn't released any of their 1/6 products yet to my knowledge. Their Sons of Anarchy line was stalled for a long term. I'm just hoping they pull through for us haha

Yes it is great sculpt and I love the paint job lol but the real issue is hopefully we can get this figure at all lol PCS hasn't released any of their 1/6 products yet to my knowledge. Their Sons of Anarchy line was stalled for a long term. I'm just hoping they pull through for us haha

Yes fingers crossed!!

I wouldn't say it's one of Trevor's best sculpts ever, but it still looks more than enough like Kurt Russell to me.

Although as much as I absolutely love the movie, I'm not sure this is a character I really need to have. And it's not really the most memorable or iconic costume.

I dig it. Like anyone, Trevor's not perfect, and neither is this sculpt IMO, but this is better than any other sculpt we were likely to see from this company. And if there were an American sculptor I had to choose for any project, it would be him.

I'm much more concerned about the overall production quality of the figures this company puts out. . .will hope for the best, but not pay anything upfront.

Looks pretty damn good to me. Not perfect, but close.

I'd call this Kurt Russell-esque.

It's obvious who it's intended to be but something is preventing me from saying it couldn't be better.

Definitely agree with all of this

Sculpt is damn good enough. If anything should be nitpicked, its the length of the flamethrower barrel.

:lecture

:clap:wave Awesome comment :monkey3

Sorry but that photo doesn't show the edges of the eyebrows. They would be the same as in the other picture. They would never look like the painting on the sculpt. They are also to narrow.
It's exactly where the hair covers his eyebrows in your picture that the problem is. Also what you see is bushier and thicker than on the sculpt.
See this picture. Those eyebrows are far from what you see on the painted sculpt and therefore it's loosing resemblance:
View attachment 258973
...the eyes are not perfect, but they are close.The eyebrows are not.

The eyebrows are definitely made too thick on the sides. I think the problem is that the lower lids have no painted eyelashes, as well as the irises not being symmetrical. They look like they're in going in two different directions from the side. And I just noticed, the sculpt looks older than Russell was in the film.

The eyebrows are definitely made too thick on the sides. I think the problem is that the lower lids have no painted eyelashes, as well as the irises not being symmetrical. They look like they're in going in two different directions from the side. And I just noticed, the sculpt looks older than Russell was in the film.

Seeing the side-by-side pics, I realised his beard isn't bushy enough. It's a small thing but enough to throw the likeness off a bit.

Seeing the side-by-side pics, I realised his beard isn't bushy enough. It's a small thing but enough to throw the likeness off a bit.

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing after giving it a second look. It's a little too clean, and he needs more sparse cheek hair above the main thick of it.

When an artist is hired to sculpt a portrait they are at the mercy of the art director. This can either result in the the likeness improving or diminishing. Some of the concerns about the sculpt may be a result of suggestions ordered by the company. Having said that, I think its great :)

Not a bad sculpt but a lot of things to improve. I like Sean Dabbs sculpt more, looks more like Rusell than Pop culture shocks

I thought the sculpt looked pretty good in person at Wondercon. I always have issues with 70's/80's hair-dos as sculpts.. All the HT Star Wars sculpts look like big crappy blocks of solid color too. This guy would look cool with some of the re-hair customs I have seen happening on this forum for sure.

PCS have not had any updates in their newsletters, websites, or social media for ANY of their 1/6th properties other than that possible Darkness hand. I emailed them and have not gotten any response either so this proto is all we might see for a few years at this rate.

Back