Pop Culture Shock: John Carpenter's The Thing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here three years before you. It's actually people like you that have made me stand back from this site for 12/18 months now.

Why ignore people with other opinions? Why be on a forum then? ...oh well.
...that said, I'm looking forward to this one! Do we have an estimated pre order date?

Last edited:
Here three years before you. It's actually people like you that have made me stand back from this site for 12/18 months now.

You're really out to measure dicks, aren't you? Or are you another one of those elitist custom junkies that can't take critcism on a sculptor you worship? I don't like the sculpt, deal with it, and stop being such a girl.

I wouldn't say it's one of Trevor's best sculpts ever, but it still looks more than enough like Kurt Russell to me.

Although as much as I absolutely love the movie, I'm not sure this is a character I really need to have. And it's not really the most memorable or iconic costume.

:lol This forum sometimes... Taking someone's opinion about a head sculpt personally, even though the opinion has nothing to do with you, is about as ridiculous as it gets. Makes me wonder how poorly some people must deal with real life if they get their panties in a twist over some stranger not liking a sculpt on a collectible forum. You like the sculpt? Get it and be happy with it. Someone says they don't like the sculpt? Ignore them and enjoy the sculpt.

I dig it. Like anyone, Trevor's not perfect, and neither is this sculpt IMO, but this is better than any other sculpt we were likely to see from this company. And if there were an American sculptor I had to choose for any project, it would be him.

I'm much more concerned about the overall production quality of the figures this company puts out. . .will hope for the best, but not pay anything upfront.

Looks like there's some compression artifacts from saving it to Facebook. I thought it was an overly textured sculpt and/or paintjob, but from Trev's original pic from his DA, it's not that bad

the_thing__macready_by_trevorgrove-d9yydjc.jpg

Looks like there's some compression artifacts from saving it to Facebook. I thought it was an overly textured sculpt and/or paintjob, but from Trev's original pic from his DA, it's not that bad

View attachment 258770

It's weird, the likeness is definitely there in the raw sculpt but the paint kills it. Somehow the painted eyes no longer look like they're the correct shape.

I think the beard and hair should have more blonde highlights too. Unpainted, the likeness is there for me, but all that brown hair makes the hair blend into the beard.

The unpainted head has the slightly sunken cheeks, but painted the cheeks are too round. That said, it's a great sculpt.

I'd call this Kurt Russell-esque.

It's obvious who it's intended to be but something is preventing me from saying it couldn't be better.

It's weird, the likeness is definitely there in the raw sculpt but the paint kills it. Somehow the painted eyes no longer look like they're the correct shape.

I agree, the shape of the eyes doesn't look right. I'm not a skilled enough painter to know how to fix it, but the eyes stick out to me as something that's "not right"

The paint up is great in my opinion. There's not much a painter can do if the eyes are modded or sculpted a certain way. They can only do so much with what they are given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comparing the painted sculpt to a photo of Kurt Rusell. The eye shape is actually very close and well done. What throws it a bit off is the eyebrows that are painted too dark, straight, thin and even. The eyebrows are always one of the most significant features in a face though you rarely think about it.
The good thing about this is that it's easy to change in a repaint.
Take a look at this picture. You can see that the eyebrows are far off. It would mean a huge difference in resemblance to fix those.
a0868a408ec7e19f0bba48dac7016c71.jpg

Last edited:
Comparing the painted sculpt to a photo of Kurt Rusell. The eye shape is actually very close and well done. What throws it a bit off is the eyebrows that are painted too dark, straight, thin and even. The eyebrows are always one of the most significant features in a face though you rarely think about it.
The good thing about this is that it's easy to change in a repaint.
Take a look at this picture. You can see that the eyebrows are far off. It would mean a huge difference in resemblance to fix those.
a0868a408ec7e19f0bba48dac7016c71.jpg

Yeah but you are comparing a picture of a older Russell. His eye brows and hair were much thicker in The Thing. Here's my comparison pic below. I think he got it pretty accurate to the source material.

f45adf0c9d06896249358123214556c6.jpg

Sorry but that photo doesn't show the edges of the eyebrows. They would be the same as in the other picture. They would never look like the painting on the sculpt. They are also to narrow.
It's exactly where the hair covers his eyebrows in your picture that the problem is. Also what you see is bushier and thicker than on the sculpt.
See this picture. Those eyebrows are far from what you see on the painted sculpt and therefore it's loosing resemblance:
4942b2a7a03c8442669ba64a08814429.jpg
...the eyes are not perfect, but they are close.The eyebrows are not.

Last edited:
Back