Poll: Of all the Metal Gear Solid games, which is your favorite? *Spoiler Warning*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of all the Metal Gear Solid games, which is your favorite?

• Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Metal Gear Solid (PSX)

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Metal Gear Acid

• Metal Gear Acid 2

• Other

• Total voters
Yeah, I was also disappointed almost immediately once I started playing Twin Snakes. It could have been a great game if improving the graphics was all they (Silicon Knights) did, but they made some weird changes and decisions with this one.

*They made Snake a ninja capable of feats that almost rival Neo from the first Matrix. This also relates directly with the overdirected cutscenes, which were too much like a bad action movie.

*They re-recorded all the dialogue. Most of the same cast from the original MGS reprised their roles, but they didn't sound into it, like they were phoning it in. They dropped Mei Ling's cute accent too.

*They changed certain lines of dialogue. One example would be Otacon's prideful remark about his Metal Gear design. In the original MGS, he says "I like to think of it as a character flaw" when speaking of an odd flaw in his Rex design (from what I remember), but in Twin Snakes he says "I like to think of it as a design flaw". That change totally takes away a part of his character and his obsessive fondness with his metal gear desgn.

*Arguably including the first-person firing mechanic from MGS2 breaks some of the boss battles and makes the combat in the game less interesting.

What a shame. Those are my complaints.

I agree on all of your points and then some. I hated the re-recording of the dialogue, in my opinion anything re-recorded sounded worse and didn't have that same energy and passion.

I thought it failed the capture the dark, dank, atmosphere of the first...everything felt too clean and nice, and way too blue. Thankfully when returning to Shadow Moses in 4, they got the look and feel of Shadow Moses right.

This isn't Shadow Moses:

mgs-twin-snakes-4.jpg

Nothing to me will ever compare to the original. No matter how good they are, MGS3 was great as was 4, and 2 was good. But MGS 1 is legendary. It has it all, and I play it and beat it at least once and year and every time I still have fun...It's so well done.

Metal Gear Solid had a scare factor. Sitting with head phones on at night as you climb the tower that you repell down with the the wind howling outside is a truely amazing and unsetteling experience. Also, when you fight the people in the elevator for the first time and Otacon starts to panic and the picture of his codec changes.. I was in shock.

Also, did anyone else know about the gallery of ghosts? I didn't imagine my shock when I was just taking photos of random stuff and creepy images appear. Best easter egg ever I say.

Wasn't it Metal Gear Solid that you had to switch to the 2nd controller in order for the "Psychic" enemy not to be able to predict your moves? I thought that was ingenius of them at the time. I thought this game was the best in the series. One can only wish that they would recreate the original Metal Gears from SNES though and bring Metal Gear Solid to next gen consoles. I want a collectors set of ALL the metal Gear games so I can sit down and play through them all from Metal Gear SNES to Metal Gear Rising.

Metal Gear Solid had a scare factor. Sitting with head phones on at night as you climb the tower that you repell down with the the wind howling outside is a truely amazing and unsetteling experience. Also, when you fight the people in the elevator for the first time and Otacon starts to panic and the picture of his codec changes.. I was in shock.

Also, did anyone else know about the gallery of ghosts? I didn't imagine my shock when I was just taking photos of random stuff and creepy images appear. Best easter egg ever I say.

:lol:lol:lol

Wasn't it Metal Gear Solid that you had to switch to the 2nd controller in order for the "Psychic" enemy not to be able to predict your moves? I thought that was ingenius of them at the time. I thought this game was the best in the series. One can only wish that they would recreate the original Metal Gears from SNES though and bring Metal Gear Solid to next gen consoles. I want a collectors set of ALL the metal Gear games so I can sit down and play through them all from Metal Gear SNES to Metal Gear Rising.

Yeah that was Psycho Mantis, he would also read your mind (memory card) and comment on how reckless (few saves) or how much of a pansy you were (if you saved very often). If you had other Konami games saved onto your memory card he would also comment on them! It was pretty awesome, one of my favourite Bosses and Boss fights!

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not positive which one it is. The one where you have to switch your controller to the other port to defeat that psychic guy. I don't think I have ever played a more immersive game than that one. That game made you feel like you really were a bad ass. Hard to describe. I know it's a game but you felt like the women wanted you and the bad guys respected you. Probably my favorite game of all time.

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not positive which one it is. The one where you have to switch your controller to the other port to defeat that psychic guy. I don't think I have ever played a more immersive game than that one. That game made you feel like you really were a bad ass. Hard to describe. I know it's a game but you felt like the women wanted you and the bad guys respected you. Probably my favorite game of all time.

The one where you had to swap controllers was MGS1.

I also liked how in MGS4, when up against Screaming Mantis, if you tried to swap the controller to register to port 2, Otacon (think it was him) calls on the codec telling you that won't work or something!

ATMOSPHERE.

That's the key word for MGS. That first game was so engaging, and so well done that the tone and environment it set with the atmosphere threw it into a whole other stratosphere.

The music in the game, and sound effects for that matter were amazing. Coupled with the dark, dank, and dingy palette, words cannot describe how this game is such a work of art.

I always think back to the scene right before the Grey Fox fight when you are walking down that blood soaked hallway and seeing the bodies of the soldiers. The feeling of dread fueled by the sights and sounds was off the scale.

The aspect of the music I like the best is you could sort out sounds and imagine that the music in some parts is caused by simple sounds in the facility. The best example I feel is intruder 2...I hear the dripping on water on damp walls, the squeaking of soldiers shoes against the cold floor, and electric interference as a low hum. All come together in a beautifully composed piece of art. Listen again my friends...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/2tB-x7-p88I&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/2tB-x7-p88I&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

No other song will make you want replay MGS more, I guarantee it.

Last edited:
^Nicely said, Starkiller :goodpost:. MGS 1 is truly a legendary game, and the majority of folks on the forum agree that it's the best game of the series. Although MGS 3 is still my favorite, I have to give props to where it's due; MGS 1 was THE game that got me into the series.

The first MGS is indeed very influential and probably the most important one in the franchise, but my favorite is still MGS3. It's the one that started it all, story-wise.

MGS1.
My Dad always liked Star Wars: A New Hope the best because the experience could never be repeated with sequels, even if they were technically better movies.
That's how I feel about MGS1. It changed the way I thought about video games.
Unfortunately I can't read through this thread because I've never played MGS4 (no PS3). But I am seriously considering picking up a PSP for Peace Walker.

MGS1.
My Dad always liked Star Wars: A New Hope the best because the experience could never be repeated with sequels, even if they were technically better movies.
That's how I feel about MGS1. It changed the way I thought about video games.
Unfortunately I can't read through this thread because I've never played MGS4 (no PS3). But I am seriously considering picking up a PSP for Peace Walker.

MGS4 was THE reason I got a PS3 over Xbox!

Believe me, I thought about it. At the time I was assured by my "gamer" friend that MGS4 would see a 360 release. And by "gamer" I mean "full of ____." :slap

Those are what we call fanboys. They want you to buy their system because they don't like the other. And they assume that the game must be coming to their system because why wouldn't they!? Pompous tools.

Well, to be fair, at the time, it was a popular thing for studios to release a (formally) Sony-exclusive game on the 360. FFXIII is one example. For a while people just assumed MGS4 would eventually come to 360.

Instead they get MGS Rising. Not quite the same.

Well, to be fair, at the time, it was a popular thing for studios to release a (formally) Sony-exclusive game on the 360. FFXIII is one example. For a while people just assumed MGS4 would eventually come to 360.

Instead they get MGS Rising. Not quite the same.

I don't think it's being fair. A lot of exclusives were lost on both sides. It was just wishful thinking by MGS fans that owned a PS2 but hoped on the 360 bandwagon thinking Konami and Hideo would be nuts not to release MGS4 on the 360. Even though there was no hard proof that it was ever going to happen.

I don't think it's being fair. A lot of exclusives were lost on both sides. It was just wishful thinking by MGS fans that owned a PS2 but hoped on the 360 bandwagon thinking Konami and Hideo would be nuts not to release MGS4 on the 360. Even though there was no hard proof that it was ever going to happen.

The product placements in MGS 4 was a guarantee that the game would never be released on a Microsoft console. More specifically, Microsoft wouldn't want to advertise a game that markets Apple and Sony products.

Last edited:
Back