Poll: Of all the Metal Gear Solid games, which is your favorite? *Spoiler Warning*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of all the Metal Gear Solid games, which is your favorite?

• Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Metal Gear Solid (PSX)

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Metal Gear Acid

• Metal Gear Acid 2

• Other

• Total voters
I don't think it's being fair. A lot of exclusives were lost on both sides. It was just wishful thinking by MGS fans that owned a PS2 but hoped on the 360 bandwagon thinking Konami and Hideo would be nuts not to release MGS4 on the 360. Even though there was no hard proof that it was ever going to happen.

I was replying with Yonose's post about his bull____ting friend in mind when I said "to be fair". I'm not saying it was in all fairness that Microsoft should get MGS4. I think it was more than mere wishful thinking at the time. Back then, a whole glut of formerly Sony exclusve developers were jumping ship and going multi-platform. Big guns like GTA4 and FFXIII had gone multi-platform, and back then what other game had the same sort of big brand appeal? MGS4. It just made sense, financially.

It wasn't just wishful thinking on the side of 360 owners. I remember distinctly Konami and Kojima teasing that they were interested in doing a version for 360. Gaming websites ran with that and kept asking and asking as well as rumore-mongering. Actually, just google search 'mgs4 xbox kojima konami' and you'll get a ton good sources on this.

I still think it could be viable for Konami to release MGS4 for 360. It is unlikely, but I think it would be smart of them to do it to hype up MGS Rising for Xbox owners.

The MGS 4 360 conversation sure brings back memories. Do you guys remember this old photo?

Crazy stuff. Loved the nonsensical flame wars that were going on back then :rotfl.

original

I must be the odd one out. I voted for MGS2. Yes, yes, I know lots of people hated that one but to me, no other videogames does the breaking the fourthwall thing better and I guess I just like those mind ____ stuff. And who can forget the crazy boss fight with 20 Rays in EE?

So far, no other MGS boss fights have ever top that one for me.

And of course, the best line ever in MGS series

"I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"

I'm with you on MGS Sons of Liberty being the best the series has to offer.

A lot of people were upset that Snake is "replaced" in the game. I am not one of those people. Contrary to that, I thought it was genius. Snake is a legend. Snake is so badass, that to play as him anymore would be pointless. We already completed an entire game as Snake- the game that makes him into a legend. And since then, he's gotten into a few other shennanigans, and the opening hours of the game give us one last walk in the shoes of this unstoppable force.

To play as Snake any furthar would make the game too easy. What can't Snake do? What can't Snake handle? The storyline progressed to a point where he was more than a man, he was a myth and a legend, and nothing could measure up to that.

Dropping us in the controls of this rookie Raiden, several years later, not knowing exactly what happened, is a master stroke. It provides an amazing structure that constantly builds, is filled with mystery, and never lets up even at the end- You're left wanting more, instantly, wondering what the hell is going on and where things go next.

Throughout the game, piece by piece the puzzle is revealed to us. Several figures stay in the shadows and leave the player wondering just who's who, and who's on what side. The glimpses of Snake propel us forward, driving the game wonderfully. When we meet Plisken it's edgy, exciting, and dangerous. Who's side are we- the player- on? We know we don't want to go against Snake. But just what the hell has Snake done in the first place? Has he gone full Big Boss, and are we going to put him down by the end? It's a great dynamic.

And when Solid Snake shows up, fully revealed on the bridge against Solidus, it's an iconic moment that is instantly burned in your brain. "THAT IS NOT SOLID SNAKE!" That's when I knew for sure, I loved this game.

The characters are great, the pacing of the gameplay is fantastic- both of these become problems in 3 and 4. Snake Eater has my favorite basic controls of the series, but the menus and healing system are too much- and make the gameplay choppy and too easy. It completely removes yourself from the emersion of the game, when every few feet you can go into a menu and change your entire outfit, or heal each injury exactly as they happen. If they had simplified this process, and made them part of the onscreen items menu, and maybe you just sat for a second and ate a snake *during* normal gameplay, then I'd find it nearly perfect.

But even then the structure of Snake Eater is all off. I sat there playing through the first time, literally CONVINCED that I was at the end of the game for a good 3 hours. It builds to it's conclusion, then puts you through a few boss battles, THEN puts you on a motorcycle chase, more boss battles, a crash, a huge long grind to a halt trek through a forrest while dragging a half dead character, and then a few more boss battles. And then it finally freaking ends. From a design standpoint it's extremely silly, which is too bad, considering the bulk of the gameplay is fantastic, and it contains without a doubt the best boss battle of the franchise, as well as a few other innovative ones.

The characters also take a nose dive after 2. I don't give a crap about anybody in MGS3. Sure, "Snake" and Ocelot. But that's it. Boss and Eva are the only two other characters with any depth at all, and they are both stiff enigmas throughout the game. For a game built around the relationship Snake has with these 2 women, it does a terrible job with it. And literally every other character in the game is an afterthought, a nothing. Guns of the Patriots doesn't fair much better, although thankfully were back with characters we've spent time with before so they carry over, and at least further flesh those out. The new ones though, with the exception of Drebin, are all extremely thin and pointless.

In Sons of Liberty however, they are brilliant. Everyone is built up, layered, colorful and memorable. I'd say the weakest character of the entire bunch is Fatman by far, and he's about the level of template that characters were created by for future games. He shows up once and feels pretty tacked on to pad the game, and his bomb disposal levels are the only parts of the game that feel a little bit like stretching the time. Even then, the inclusion of Stillman and his relationship is more meat than any members of the units of BnB or the guys in 3 get.

Which brings me to the only other flaw of MGS2- and it's one easily fixed. There's a few too many cutscenes of nonessential crap. You can trim the game by about 20 minutes and it would be absolutely perfect. Just ditch the 4 or 5 cutscenes at the end constantly bashing us over the head with the "message" for a single one, and get rid of that rediculous 20 second cut scene where Otacon breaks out crying because his mother seduced him and had sex with him.

There's plenty of brilliance going on in the game to make these few nitpicks moot. Besides, knowing the game, it's easy to skip the few wacky cut scenes, and the bomb disposal part is a minor qualm at best. It's not that it's bad, just that it might go on for a LITTLE too long.

There's also something to be said for the stealth of the game, the design of it all. MGS3 and 4 go further and further away from stealth- I played through 4 on normal the first time with none at all, and there's nothing to make you want to. Other than a ranking at the end which I quite frankly don't really care about. In the first 2 games stealth isn't a choice, IT'S THE GAME! You literally can't beat it without being sneaky. And because it's designed this way, when they force you into conflict- like the climax of the Tanker chapter, with Snake stuck in that tiny hallway and no way out but through a bunch of guys- it's tense, it's exciting, and all around just a damn good time. It becomes boring if you run around, able to buy 50 rockets from a pause menu whenever you feel the need.

It's a real event when you pull a gun, and it makes you feel that way. And how cool is it that we never fight Ocelot? Or the decision to strip us literally naked and have us run through the game totally empty handed near the end? Or getting a sword?! I can go on and on, but this is already way too long so I won't.

I heart MGS2.

^So, you concluded that Solid Snake was a legend, based only on Metal Gear Solid 1? That was one game! In fact, Solid Snake only made it past his introduction in MGS 1 before Kojima tried to replace him with someone new.

Sure, Solid did star in the original Metal Gears. But, he didn't have a personality, he didn't have a well-constructed dialog; he wasn't anything other than a simplistic bunch of pixels on the screen, running around and shooting at other simplistic pixels. MGS 1 was basically a reinvisioning of the franchise - it was the game that made Solid Snake into who he was, and fleshed out his personality. So much so, that the fans wanted to see more of the new Solid Snake in MGS 2, but who they got instead, was Raiden for 3/4 of the game. Needless to say, it was a disappointment for many of us.

All in all, Solid Snake didn't receive nearly as much attention as he should have gotten in MGS. He starred in MGS 1, was reduced to a cameo appearance in MGS 2, and he died in MGS 4. To top it off, MGS 4 was "supposed" to be the last Kojima-based installment in the series - but we now know that isn't the case. Right now, Kojima has put himself in a pinch. With Solid Snake in the grave, the only viable character who he has to work with is Big Boss.

So, with several more Big Boss games on the way, and with Raiden starring in his own MGS series (according to the producer for MGS: Rising, Shigenobu Matsuyama), where does that leave Solid Snake? In my opinion, it seems as if Solid got grifted :dunno

Last edited:
Dammit that's too long a post, rezsomethingsomething. I don't even want to read all of it to argue with you on why I think MGS2 is the worst MGS game on the poll list. :lol You win because I'm just too lazy.

I'll just say that MGS2 had the most boring environment and level design (the big shell), had the most nonsensical and convoluted story, a whiny main character that was constantly nagged by his annoying girlfriend on the codec, and silly, silly side characters. It really jumped the shark. I just didn't care.

Dammit that's too long a post, rezsomethingsomething. I don't even want to read all of it to argue with you on why I think MGS2 is the worst MGS game on the poll list. :lol You win because I'm just too lazy.

I'll just say that MGS2 had the most boring environment and level design (the big shell), had the most nonsensical and convoluted story, a whiny main character that was constantly nagged by his annoying girlfriend on the codec, and silly, silly side characters. It really jumped the shark. I just didn't care.

Completely agreed. Even after replaying MGS 2 for several times, I'm still confused as hell as to what actually happened. I mean, WTF Kojima? :dunno

Raiden-article_image.jpg

Haha, yeah, I realize it was long. It had to be, just because I know I'm in the extreme minority so I just ranted anticipating most counter points.

As to a breif few points..

I don't think Snake was shafted at all. I like the decision to move away from him as the central character for the series. It keeps him badass, and considering how much everyone loves MGS1, can you really argue that it DIDN'T make him a legend? Hell, it seems to me that a lot of people don't like him nearly as much in MGS4, the first game since 1 to have him as the sole character. Is he changed? Yes, but MGS has always been about evolving and going forward, and at his core he's still the same. So once people got (basically) what they wanted, it was already starting to annoy a good number of them.
MGS is full of so many great characters and ideas, to expand upon them seems, at least in theory to me, to be a great concept. If the execution fails, then that's a bummer, but the idea is sound. And then when Snake does show up from time to time, whether as a playable character or just in the story, it'll be that much more awesome.

As for the characters being silly in MGS2, what! While I can understand other critisms even if I feel a different way, this one seems totally off base. I'd argue the characters are at their strongest in MGS1 and 2. It's 3 and 4 where characters are extremely silly, and often nonexistant(I'm referring to the new characters for 4, obviously returning ones get a mostly great send off). Ocelot didn't really become interesting until 2, and Otacon and Snake got even more fleshed out and awesome. Olga, Vamp and the rest of Dead Cell minus Fatman are great additions too.

OH! And one of the absolute greatest things about 2(and all the games thereafter): The SCORE. The music is fantastic. Love that opening theme song. Getting Gregson-Williams was one of the best things to happen to the series.

I quite liked the Plant part for it's level design.

Being able to access most of the environment no matter what part of the game you were up to is fun for me. Something I missed a bit in 3 and a lot in 4.

I enjoyed MGS2 at the end of the day! While at the time of the character change etc. I was a bit miffed, didn't ruin my enjoyment of it! Raiden does get annoying but meh, can skip the cut scenes and everything if bother me that much. Took a couple of play throughs to get my head around the plot though :lol

Back