Poll: Of all the Metal Gear Solid games, which is your favorite? *Spoiler Warning*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of all the Metal Gear Solid games, which is your favorite?

• Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Metal Gear Solid (PSX)

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Metal Gear Acid

• Metal Gear Acid 2

• Other

• Total voters

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
*Serious spoiler discussions in this thread!!*

Although this question has been exhausted around the net, I decided to make to make this poll, just to see the opinions of the MGS fans in our Sideshow community. Also, in addition to voting for your favorite MGS game, rank the games that you've played in order (from most favorable to least favorable).

So, anyways, I hope that this poll generates some healthy debates :lol.

I'll go first:

1. MGS 3/Subsistence
2. MGS 4
3: MGS 2/Substance
4: MGS 1
5. MGS: Portable Ops
6. MGS: Peace Walker
7. MGS: VR Missions

As strange as it may sound, I actually enjoyed the main storyline for Portable Ops, more than I did for Peace Walker. I didn't like, that all the boss battles in PW were against mechanical robots, and there wasn't even a single recurring human nemesis. Unless of course, you count Zadornov and Coldman, but you never even get the chance to face off against them. Plus, there aren't any other familiar characters in the game besides Snake and Miller. Where are Ocelot, Campbell, Frank Jaegar and Eva? Where's Raikov and his black g-string? :dunno

Overall, I just found Portable Ops to have a more faithful storyline to the traditional MGS formula. Through PO, we learned about the origins of Gray Fox (one of my favorite MGS characters), and we were also hinted about the conspiracy against Snake at the time. More specifically, that the person behind the consipiracy, had "the same codename as null" - who we later found out in MGS 4 to be Major Zero.

Last edited:
I love each and every MGS game, but Snake Eater is my fave. However, Guns of the Patriots is the one I've played through the most. Probably because I couldn't get enough of it after it first came out, and after the first play through. I've yet to play Peace Walker, which shocks even myself, since the MGS series is my most beloved off any games. Anyway, that will change once I get it this week. :D

Damn this is a difficult question :lol

It generally depends on my mood at the time and such, but I think MGS1 tends to be my favourite... partly nostalgia, but also the setting. Bloody loved it when SHadow Moses was revisited in MGS4! Also the characters of that game. This game has my favourite villains and boss battles of the series, Psycho Mantis and his mind ____s and everything! I also liked how you could choose alternate endings and things like that which would result in either saving Meryl or not.

The boss battles in MGS3 were great also, the End probably being the most enjoyable because depending how you went about it it could take ages to beat him! I think my least favourite bosses were the ones from MGS4 (Not including the slug fest with Ocelot at the end), but when fighting the BnB's, it just felt like as long as I keep moving and pump them full of enough ammo then they are done. No real mind games or having to figure out the best method to beat them using different weapons. Or having the back track half the way back through the game, just so you can get the gun to defeat Sniper Wolf!

Also in MGS4, there wasn't a Metal Gear Battle like from MGS1 or 2. I liked how in MGS2, depending on your difficulty setting, would depend on how many Rays you would have to fight!

Even though MGS1 is probably my favourite, but like I said it depends on the day and what type of missions I would want to do, I prefer the design of Solid Snake in MGS2.

Not played any of the ones on the PSP, although have a rough idea of the events from reading character back stories.

Enjoy them all though at the end of the day, plant chapter of MGS2 included. While at the time when Raiden first appeared it was something like WTF. But was still great and don't think it deserves the hate it gets.

Thinking of downloading MGS1 onto PS3 to play it again. Sucks that can't play PS2 games on it. Could on old one. Atleast still have PS2 somewhere for when I want to play those games!

Metal Gear Solid :rock

MGS3 by far the best game I enjoyed it the most mainly because you played as Big Boss. :D

MGS 3. I like the idea of fighting in the middle of the Cold War, and Naked Snake is the coolest Snake around, IMO. But that is followed up by another game I love--the Twin Snakes, which despite the convoluted story (as they all are in this series), is probably my favorite. Then MGS IV. MGS IV had the best graphics of course, and was a very cool game, but I wasn't big on the idea of playing Snake as an old fart. Never played any of the PSP games, as I don't have that system.

Metal Gear Solid the for the Playstation.

I never played MGS3 Subsistance so I never got the new missions. Iwould have to then be followed by 4 and 3 then 2. Twin Snakes is the only other one Metal Gear I have played and it was a load of ____e. Perfectly showing that better graphics and gameplay features doesn't make a better game.

If you don't mind my asking, flake, what made the original so much better that it is your favorite, whereas Twin Snakes is a piece of ____?

Having played both, I thought the improved graphics made for a better game playing experience, both with that game and the Res. Evil Gamecube remake.

I would note that there is nothing wrong with nostalgia :)

If you don't mind my asking, flake, what made the original so much better that it is your favorite, whereas Twin Snakes is a piece of ____?

Having played both, I thought the improved graphics made for a better game playing experience, both with that game and the Res. Evil Gamecube remake.

I would note that there is nothing wrong with nostalgia :)

I really didn't like the redone cut scenes or voice acting.

They redid everything it lost all it's sinceriety and became really cliche and cheesy. Yeah, the plot lent itself to some really silly things happening but the codec conversations and the bit where Meryl was sniped/died at the end made me really feel sorry for Snake and almost cry as a kid (and adult). When I played Twin Snakes they took it too far and all the emotions I had from the cut scenes had been lost. At some points (mainly with Liquid's lines) I almost bursted into laugher it was so over the top. Speaking of Resident Evil I felt that the way they took the Liquid character was from a vengeful brother to some a kin to Albert Weskar.
Perfect example "I'm just the leftovers of what they used to make you."

As for the Gameplay, I felt they too away from challenge and being able to first person tranq everyone made it way too easy. I could go on. I admit I am purist but for those who never experienced it first time they may have a negative opinion of the series and game because of it.

You must not have known what the ____ was going on with the storyline, then :lol

I was familiar with the other releases, and frequently didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

MGS for PS1 is one of my all time favorite games. That was the first and last game to blow me away at every turn. It was ahead of everything else at the time, and revolutionary in a way that, in my opinion, no other MGS game to date has been. God, I played the hell out of that game...

Back