Plinkett's Episode 3 review!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I like the PT, OT, and the CW. That gives me the funnest and fullest SW experience. If someone thinks less of me as a fan then thats fine I don't give a ____. :lol

Yeah as I said I like 300, but some don't.

As I was saying on LIVE the other day, I did not like the Batman 60's TV show as it was nothing like the Batman from my comics. Now I feel indifferent about it, and find some scenes really funny, but for me I can take it or leave it. Now if somebody came along and said 60's Batman was the best, I would never say back to them, oh well you are not really a Batman fan then.

Actually a review that makes fun of a movie that I really like, is the Conan Review by the Nostalgia critic, and I love that movie a lot. It turns out that the Nostalgia likes it too, but you would not think so if you watched his review.

Ah I like the PT, OT, and the CW. That gives me the funnest and fullest SW experience. If someone thinks less of me as a fan then thats fine I don't give a ____. :lol

Now if somebody came along and said 60's Batman was the best, I would never say back to them, oh well you are not really a Batman fan then.

Yeah, the old "you're not a fan if..." argument. :lol
When is that one going to be retired? :horse

You can always tell the insecure people when they need to take personal shots at anyone who disagrees with them.

As far as Plinkett goes - I had a few chuckles watching the first 10 minutes of his review but it got tiresome to me. And I don't mind people picking on the Prequels. I like them and I make fun of them. :dunno

Yeah as I said I like 300, but some don't.

As I was saying on LIVE the other day, I did not like the Batman 60's TV show as it was nothing like the Batman from my comics. Now I feel indifferent about it, and find some scenes really funny, but for me I can take it or leave it. Now if somebody came along and said 60's Batman was the best, I would never say back to them, oh well you are not really a Batman fan then.

I'm with ya Dino. As you know based on our Convos. :hi5:

Yeah, the old "you're not a fan if..." argument. :lol
When is that one going to be retired? :horse

Never gotten that argument either.

I never said that it's about people being critical of the movie, it's people being critical of you for liking the movie.

Me...the movie...whatever....like most people would say.....don't care, I didn't make it.

PT was summed up to me at the SW Celebration when Lucas told the crowd that the older generation prefers the OT and the newer generation prefers the PT....and he was given a well deserved BOO from both generations.

More power to anyone who enjoys the PT, whatever makes you happy is what counts in life.

Last edited:

I dont think that at all. My only issue is people (not saying you specificly :D) seem to not acknowlage the flaws, and make cases to defend things that really couldnt be defended logicly.

Zats all. :D

Enjoy the flicks, enjoy the entire saga! Just dont tell me the love between Hayden and Natalie was a strong, and intense one. :lol

I dont think that at all. My only issue is people (not saying you specificly :D) seem to not acknowlage the flaws, and make cases to defend things that really couldnt be defended logicly.

Enjoy the flicks, enjoy the entire saga! Just dont tell me the love between Hayden and Natalie was a strong, and intense one. :lol

Gone with the Lightsaber

I remember being 12, seeing ROTS opening day. Sure I loved it, but I remember how disjointed the opening sequence felt. I still enjoyed it, but RLM made a great point. I mean, ROTS, you start of with an intense battle scene, followed by goofy R2 comedy, back to intense battle, back to goofy comedy, and then to cutting off a person's arms, and head...and then back to goofy comedy. What?

Both ANH and TESB had goofy R2/3PO humor intercut with Vader snapping a man's neck and Luke getting his hand cut off. Some of you need to think through some of your blind Plinkett adoration.

One thing I'm curious about though. You were 12 when ROTS was released? That means you were 4 when the SE's came out and 6 and 9 for TPM and AOTC respectively. Did your parents take you to see the SE's in the theater and then TPM?

Since you got to see all the films as a kid, which one did you like the best at the time? Did kids in your neighborhood or at your school talk about TPM or play with the toys?

I don't take it personal man. I will acknowledge the issues of the PT but as we've discussed my issue is fans who act like the OT is perfect. When for me they have many of the same.

One thing I'm curious about though. You were 12 when ROTS was released? That means you were 4 when the SE's came out and 6 and 9 for TPM and AOTC respectively. Did your parents take you to see the SE's in the theater and then TPM?

God, I was 24 when that came out. :lol

I find it humorous amongst us hardcore star wars their are still little segregations and quarrels. We drool over the fact to debate over Star Wars fans sometimes.

He made nothing up. Nothing. He even showed footage, of Lucus acting like it was his first time directing a film. Now, one could say "Hey, he probably used all that out of context, and "fabricated" clips to create a lie using cleaver editing..."

I watched that making of. And I can say it did not.
Lucas makes horrible, amatur decisions. He sits on his ass, and calls action (sometimes he forgets...his words) and cut (forgets as well), shoots two reverse angles, and calls it a day. Where's the style? The flair? Where does the creativity come in? RLM goes into detail about this, and after that little bit, I was so disgusted with Lucas, I actually made it my civil duty as someone who wants to make films, not to ever look up to this man.

When you see footage of Lucas talking to the actors, you dont see someone who wants to grab a good proformence, you see someone who wants to film two objects in a room, and then fill that frame with more objects. I mean hell, they could've filmed this entire movie in New Jersy in some ally....but if they had the characters and profromences down, ____....you could've felt something for these characters.

I remember being 12, seeing ROTS opening day. Sure I loved it, but I remember how disjointed the opening sequence felt. I still enjoyed it, but RLM made a great point. I mean, ROTS, you start of with an intense battle scene, followed by goofy R2 comedy, back to intense battle, back to goofy comedy, and then to cutting off a person's arms, and head...and then back to goofy comedy. What?

That's like if in Seven, after Brad Pitt opens the box, Morgan Freeman looks into the camera and goes "Well, now, she'll never get ahead in life..."

And It wasnt just ROTS. TPM did it too...the Editors even acknowlages he did this. They go from goofy Jar Jar, to goofy Anakin, to intense saber fight, back to goofy Jar Jar/Anakin, to Qui Gon's death, BACK TO GOOFY JAR JAR AND ANAKIN.

And if you continue to watch the documentary, you can see the editors getting frustrated with Lucas' tinkering with the proformences. He's able to change what an actor does with the click of the mouse. The editors do it, and then look at the camera, with this look of "What the ____ am I doing"? And even discuss their distain with what he's doing, without outright saying it. But you can feel it.

That's not how you make a movie. It's not about YOU. It's about EVERYONE. It's a collaborative process. That's what makes movies work.

That's why these films are terrible. Because a man with a huge ego, and intent to make too much money is running the show.

By the way, I'm so very aware that Hollywood is a business and pretty much exists to make money...however, you dont go into a project going "____....this is pointless if we dont make bank." Which Lucas outright says. "We'll never beat Titanic...."

WHO CARES! Make a great movie, and you just ____ing might!

1:15
Clips of George Lucas and his employees sitting down to view a rough cut of TPM (which I assume were taken from the DVD extras) are shown.
Plinkett: "After the rough cut screening of the movie for the first time, everyone in attendance looks just as baffled at the cluster**** as we were."
Stoklasa keeps showing clips from this DVD extra with Lucas and his employees stressing over how to edit the rough cut. He uses a few choice quotes to support his claims, but he also mutes some clips so that he can talk over them.

Stoklasa claims that the footage shows that Lucas and his employees hated the movie themselves, and didn't know what they were doing. As you will see, Stoklasa twists and exaggerates things.

1:29 Plinkett: "The [movie's editor] then attempts to explain pacing, and why four scenes with totally different emotional tones don't work well together."
Editor: "In the space of about ninety seconds, you know you go from lamenting the death of, you know, a hero, to escape, to slightly comedic with Jar Jar, you know, to Anakin returning...[muted by Stoklasa]
Plinkett: "But he kinda realizes he's wasting his time so he stops."
Actually, it looked like he kept talking but Stoklasa silenced him to give us his own version of what happened.

Look closely at what the editor is saying though. "The death" sounds like Qui-Gon's death scene after Maul is killed. "Jar Jar" is self-explanatory; the only thing it could be is Jar Jar's clumsy antics during the ground battle. I assume "Anakin returning" is Anakin happily celebrating as he escapes from the Droid Control Ship, after dealing a fatal blow from the inside.
Lucas and his employees were stressed out from the way that a few specific parts flowed into each other, within a short period of "about ninety seconds." They didn't hate the entire movie, or even the "four scenes" (battles) as Stoklasa is trying to make it look like. To be fair, I did think the tones in some of the battles didn't mesh well with the others. I thought Padmé and the Jedi's parts were great, while the light and comic tone in Anakin and Jar Jar's parts detracted from the tension. But Stoklasa is still overplaying his hand here.

1:51 Plinkett: "Rick McCallum is frozen in utter shock at how horrible the movie was. Internally, he regrets not challenging Lucas on some of the things he was worried about."
Nice of him to play mind-reader, and make up a bunch of things that Rick McCallum was supposedly thinking about.
2:33 Plinkett: "No one looks like they know what's going on, and they all look like they're about to start pointing fingers. But that's just my interpretation of this footage. I wasn't there."

The level of dishonesty here is disgusting. Once again, Stoklasa relies on the same trick. He keeps saying negative things that are unproven or even untrue, then admits that it's not the case or that he can't confirm it. Hammering negative feelings into people's heads, knowing that almost none of them will ever fact check his statements.
Go to the actual finished version of the movie. Qui-Gon has his sad and dramatic death scene. The movie then moves to the streets of Naboo, in a scene that's all business. Queen Amidala and Captain Panaka send the defeated Viceroy off, telling him that he's finished. Palpatine shows up and it's said that he won the election and is the new Chancellor. Yoda and Obi-Wan talk about training Anakin, in a serious scene where Yoda worries about "grave danger." The movie then switches to another grim scene, where we see Qui-Gon's funeral pyre. Yoda and Mace Windu worry about the other Sith who must still be out there. An eerie closeup tells everyone that that other Sith is Palpatine, in case they didn't realize that yet. It's not until after that, in the last scene showing the victory celebration, when the movie takes on a happy tone again. "Anakin's return" and any scenes with Jar Jar? Nowhere to be seen here, but instead shifted into other parts of the movie.

So it looks like Lucas and his people figured out the editing problem that they were worrying about, and drastically reduced the clashing tones from the rough cut. Not that you realize that if you go by Stoklasa's portrayal of things.

I looked at the scenes discussed and the making of, and the rebuttal is correct.

Besides, by some of your points you'd think a director necessarily has to be running around to be creative... Fincher was famously criticized during the filming of A3 for sitting around behind looking at his monitors. Not saying Lucas and Fincher are the same, just pointing out that your critique is a bit simple-minded in my opinion.

As for the opening sequence of ROTS, I think you have to re-watch ANH's opening sequence. As pointed out before, it has the same mix of action, comedy and violence. And in a much shorter time frame.

Anyway, this is just a fun discussion for me.

Interesting, so the guys who like Plinkett's review simply don't want to take the time to read a rebuttal of said review.
Why is this, you just want to accept Plinkett's words without any critical thought?

Here's an excerpt taken pretty much randomly, for discussion's sake:

Oh, I've been reading it. I just don't care much for it.

So far, from what I've seen, it concentrates mainly on some of the more nitpicky points RLM includes, which are certainly up for discussion in many cases. However, I haven't seen much that counters the more powerful points Plinkett makes on filmmaking, pacing, etc.

Possibly, but it does cast a bit of doubt (for me at least) on RLM's logic when you look at all the illogical/unsupported stuff RLM spouts in his reviews.

:lol at the people in this thread trying to convince people that their opinion is right and someone else's opinion is wrong. :lol

:lol at the people in this thread trying to convince people that their opinion is right and someone else's opinion is wrong. :lol

It worked...I now 100% firmly believe that the PT are excellent movies..not just excellent SW movies but actually 100% excellent movies in general :lol

I especially appreciate the amount of times Lucas shows a ship taking off and landing :lol

One can never have enough footage of ships taking off and landing to make a movie even better :lol

Weee.....look...a ship landing....Weee...look a ship taking off.

Everytime one lands and takes off in the PT, drink a shot of hard liquor......:lol

Last edited:
Possibly, but it does cast a bit of doubt (for me at least) on RLM's logic when you look at all the illogical/unsupported stuff RLM spouts in his reviews.

Perhaps when it comes to specific plot points, but he's not really using "logic" when he speaks about the art of film making and character development, etc. He obviously has a lot of knowledge about the craft and has studied it in depth, probably majored in film in university...

Like I said, while I enjoy the prequels on a certain level, because I really like the visual designs, and am interested about the back stories of the characters and Jedi (while I don't like some of the details, I'm still interested in them), etc... but when you look at it from a purely artistic point of view - in terms of the medium of film - they're not even close to being great movies, unlike the the OT (especially SW and Empire).

Lucas was great once. He wasn't just "lucky" because he had other great people working on the films. American Graffiti and THX-1138 were also highly acclaimed films. However, it's evident that he's lost his touch as a filmmaker while becoming more and more of a businessman. I really still think ROTS is the strongest of the three by far, so as far as I'm concerned his filmmaking has improved greatly with recent practice... maybe if he had just continued to concentrate on his art rather than business, who knows what else he would have achieved?

Who ever wrote that rebuttle is a stupid tool.

HE CLEARLY ____ING SAID THATS HOW HE INTERPRETED IT. Not THIS IS WHAT HE WAS THINKING. Jesus....the fact that there is a person in this world who wrote a 70 page essay on how good the PT is is just baffling to me.

RLM did the review for fun. For laughs. ____s, and ____ing giggles. Not to be taken seriously. The hell is the point of that tool's essay? Frustrates the hell out of me.

Back